Internet Engineering Steering Group
The Internet Engineering Steering Group (IESG) is a body composed of the Internet Engineering Task Force (IETF) chair and area directors. It provides the final technical review of Internet standards and is responsible for day-to-day management of the IETF. It receives appeals of the decisions of the working groups, and the IESG makes the decision to progress documents in the standards track.
The chair of the IESG is the director of the General Area, who also serves as the overall IETF Chair. Members of the IESG include the two directors of each of the following areas:
- Applications Area (app)
- Internet Area (int)
- Operations & Network Management Area (ops)
- Routing Area (rtg)
- Real-time Applications and Infrastructure Area (rai)
- Security Area (sec)
- Transport and Services Area (tsv) - frequently also referred to as the "Transport Area"
Liaison and ex officio members include:
- IETF Executive Director
- Internet Architecture Board (IAB) Chair
- Appointed Liaison from the IAB
- Liaison from the Internet Assigned Numbers Authority (IANA)
- Liaison from the Request for Comments (RFC) Editor