Internet Telephony Services Providers’ Association
The Internet Telephony Service Providers Association (ITSPA) is a British body representing providers of Internet Telephony services (VoIP).
Officially launched in December 2004, its existing founder members are Gradwell Dotcom Ltd, Magrathea Telecommunications Limited, Telappliant, Timico Ltd, Voicenet Solutions Ltd, Voipfone and XConnect  and corporate members such as BT and Gamma. ITSPA aims to promote competition and self-regulation in order to encourage the development of a flourishing and innovative VoIP industry.
As a trade association, membership is voluntary but the companies who choose to become members agree to abide by the ITSPA code of practice.
ITSPA's main activity is in making representations on behalf of the industry to Government bodies, such as the Home Office, the Department for Business, Enterprise and Regulatory Reform (former DTI) and Ofcom.
Members of ITSPA can apply for the Quality Mark, which ensures that consumers are guaranteed that the certified organisation complies with the following points:
- Compliance with all ITSPA approved Best Common Practice Documents.
- Provide access to the emergency services (as a Type 2 or 4 VoIP provider) and provide clear evidence that customers are made fully aware that this service is available.
- Provide clear evidence that customers are made fully aware that the member company is also a member of a recognised dispute resolution scheme.
- The member company must provide a Company Single Point of Contact (SPOC) (The use of the SPOC, is to facilitate improved communications between ITSPA members on certain issues (e.g. technical, porting, spam management etc.) as well as liaising with other organisations (e.g. Home Office).
Policies are agreed by the ITSPA Council (on advice from the Industry Developments Working Group), a body of up to ten people selected from and representing the various interests of the membership. The Council is served by a secretariat.
Now into its 5th year, the 2013 ITSPA Awards were held on Wednesday 6 March 2013. There are now eight award categories which provide the opportunity for all companies involved in IP telephony (whether it be a service provider, wholesaler or vendor) to participate.
2013 Award Winners
- Best Consumer VoIP - Localphone
- Best Business ITSP (Small Enterprise) - Voipfone
- Best Business ITSP (Medium Enterprise) - Telappliant
- Best Business ITSP (Corporate) - Ciptex
- Best VoIP CPE - Sangoma Technologies – NetBorder Lync Express
- Best VoIP Infrastructure - Metaswitch Networks – Perimeta 3.3
- Most Innovative VoIP Product - Voxhub – Voxtop Apps Platform
- ITSPA Members’ Pick - Mark Spencer (computer engineer) for developing Asterisk (PBX)
- Best Consumer VoIP: BT Group
- Best Business ITSP (Small Enterprise): VoiceHost
- Best Business ITSP (Medium Enterprise): Voxhub
- Best Business ITSP (Corporate): Timico
- Best VoIP CPE: Grandstream Networks – GXP2200 Enterprise Application Phone for Android™
- Best VoIP Infrastructure: Genband – GENBAND Web Application Manager (WAM)
- Most Innovative VoIP Product/Service: Alcatel-Lucent – OpenTouch Conversation