Interscope Geffen A&M Records
|Interscope Geffen A&M Records|
|Parent company||Universal Music Group
a subsidiary of Vivendi S.A.
|Founded||January 1, 1999
(16 years ago)
|Distributor(s)||Universal Music Distribution
Polydor Limited (UK)
|Genre||Hip hop, pop, rock|
|Country of origin||United States|
|Location||Santa Monica, California|
|Official website||Official website|
Interscope Geffen A&M Records is an American record company that was endowed in January 1999. It is a wholly retained subsidiary of Universal Music Group (a subsidiary of Paris-based media conglomerate Vivendi S.A.) and is distributed by Universal Music Distribution globally, although entirely it is disseminated by Polydor Ltd. in the United Kingdom.
Interscope Geffen A&M Records combines three predominant labels that converted into imprints (Interscope, Geffen and A&M) of Universal Music Group. Today, it houses artists and bands such as Schoolboy Q, Imagine Dragons, Lady Gaga, Lana Del Rey, Phillip Phillips, Kendrick Lamar, Fergie, Eminem, The All-American Rejects, Cedric Gervais and UK recording artists The 1975 and Ellie Goulding, whom are all housed under the imprint Interscope Records, while Geffen and A&M Records remain inoperative.
Interscope Geffen A&M Records was formed in 1999, when Geffen Records and A&M Records were merged into Interscope Records — the flagship imprint of the operation — following Universal Music Group's acquisition of PolyGram. Both Geffen and A&M were mostly affected by the merger, forcing many staff members out of a job. At the time of inception, Interscope was made popular by artists such as Dr. Dre, No Doubt, and Enrique Iglesias, while Geffen and A&M were amidst rebuilding their operations. Distribution for IGA releases is handled by Polydor Records in the UK, while IGA in turn distributes Polydor releases in the U.S. Beginning with season 10 of American Idol in January 2001, development, distribution and marketing of all contestants through 19 Recordings shifted from Sony to IGA, hoping to deliver superstars equal to that of Carrie Underwood and Kelly Clarkson once again.
DreamWorks Records merged with IGA in 2004 and added artists, Blink-182, Papa Roach, Rise Against, Nelly Furtado, Lifehouse, AFI, The All-American Rejects, Jimmy Eat World and Rufus Wainwright, who were split between Interscope and Geffen.
In 2007, as a result of seven-year declining drop in sales, IGA made an agreement with Drinks Americas Holdings Ltd. Together they would develop brands of alcoholic and nonalcoholic beverages with the imprimatur of Interscope artists.
- 19 Recordings
- Aftermath Entertainment
- Bad Boy Records
- Cherrytree Records
- DGC Records
- El Cartel Records
- Mosley Music Group
- Star Trak Entertainment
- Shady Records
- Streamline Records
- Tennman Records
- Taylor Gang Records
- Will.i.am Music Group
- Zone 4 Inc
- List of record labels
- List of current Interscope Records artists
- List of current Geffen Records artists
- List of current A&M Records artists
- "A&M Records." Billboard Magazine. Nielsen Business Media, Inc. 2000-01-01. 208, http://books.google.com/books?id=9w0EAAAAMBAJ
- "West Coast Powerhouse." Billboard Magazine. Nielsen Business Media, Inc. 2000-01-01. 208, http://books.google.com/books?id=9w0EAAAAMBAJ
- Piazza, Jo. Celebrity, Inc.: How Famous People Make Money. Open Road Media: 2011-11-15. 208, http://books.google.com/books?id=uzvKGuDJAk0C
- Hombach, Jean-Pierre. Lady Gaga Superstar. 642, http://books.google.com/books?id=HJQvMRtelYIC
- Smith, Ethan. "Interscope Cuts Deal for Celebrity Drinks." Wall Street Journal: New York 26 June 2007.
- "Interscope Geffen A&M Acquires Remaining Share of A&M/Octone Records". billboard.com. 2013. Retrieved May 12, 2014.