Interscope Geffen A&M
|Interscope Geffen A&M|
|Parent company||Universal Music Group|
|Founded||January 1, 1999|
Polydor Records (UK)
Universal Music Group (Worldwide)
|Country of origin||United States|
|Location||Santa Monica, California|
|Official website||Official website|
Interscope Geffen A&M (often abbreviated as IGA) is an American-based front line umbrella label owned by Universal Music Group that oversees the handling of labels assigned to its Interscope Records, Geffen Records and A&M Records divisions. It is one of four major umbrella labels owned by Universal Music; the other three being The Island Def Jam Music Group, Capitol Music Group and Republic Records. Today IGA houses artists such as Eminem, Maroon 5, Kendrick Lamar, Fergie, Lana Del Rey, Phillip Phillips, Lady Gaga and OneRepublic.
IGA was formed in 1999, when Geffen Records and A&M Records were merged into Interscope Records—the flagship imprint of the operation—following Universal Music Group's acquisition of PolyGram. Both Geffen and A&M were negatively affected by the merger, forcing many staff members out of a job. At the time of inception, Interscope was made popular by artists such as Dr. Dre, No Doubt, and Enrique Iglesias, while Geffen and A&M were amidst rebuilding their names. Distribution for IGA releases is handled by Polydor Records in the UK, while IGA in turn distributes Polydor releases in the U.S. Beginning with season 10 of American Idol in January of 2001, development, distribution and marketing of all contestants through 19 Recordings shifted from Sony to IGA, hoping to deliver superstars equal to that of Carrie Underwood and Kelly Clarkson once again.
DreamWorks Records merged with IGA in 2004 and added artists, Blink-182, Papa Roach, Rise Against, Nelly Furtado, Lifehouse, AFI, The All-American Rejects, Jimmy Eat World and Rufus Wainwright, who were split between Interscope and Geffen.
In 2007, as a result of seven-year declining drop in sales, IGA made an agreement with Drinks Americas Holdings Ltd. Together they would develop brands of alcoholic and nonalcoholic beverages with the imprimatur of Interscope artists.
- 19 Recordings
- Aftermath Entertainment
- Bad Boy Records
- Blackground Records
- Cherrytree Records
- DGC Records
- El Cartel Records
- KidinaKorner Records
- Mosley Music Group
- Star Trak Entertainment
- Streamline Records
- Tennman Records
- Taylor Gang Records
- Will.i.am Music Group
- Zone 4 Inc
- List of record labels
- List of current Interscope Records artists
- List of current Geffen Records artists
- List of current A&M Records artists
- "A&M Records." Billboard Magazine. Nielsen Business Media, Inc. 2000-01-01. 208, http://books.google.com/books?id=9w0EAAAAMBAJ
- "West Coast Powerhouse." Billboard Magazine. Nielsen Business Media, Inc. 2000-01-01. 208, http://books.google.com/books?id=9w0EAAAAMBAJ
- Piazza, Jo. Celebrity, Inc.: How Famous People Make Money. Open Road Media: 2011-11-15. 208, http://books.google.com/books?id=uzvKGuDJAk0C
- Hombach, Jean-Pierre. Lady Gaga Superstar. 642, http://books.google.com/books?id=HJQvMRtelYIC
- Smith, Ethan. "Interscope Cuts Deal for Celebrity Drinks." Wall Street Journal: New York 26 June 2007.
- "Interscope Geffen A&M Acquires Remaining Share of A&M/Octone Records". billboard.com. 2013. Retrieved May 12, 2014.
|This article about a United States record label is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|