Interstate 190 (Massachusetts)
|Maintained by MassHighway|
|Length:||19.26 mi (31.00 km)|
|Existed:||1983 – present|
|South end:||I‑290 in Worcester|
|North end:||Route 2 in Leominster|
Interstate 190 (I-190) runs for 19.26 miles (31.00 km) north from I-290 in Worcester to Route 2 in Leominster in the US state of Massachusetts. A portion of the highway was built with extra-wide shoulders, which are painted green, to prevent runoff from contaminating the nearby Wachusett Reservoir. The green color is also intended to reduce the perceived width of the unusually wide road.
I-190 begins at a southern terminus with I-290 in Worcester. Near the Greendale Mall, there is an interchange with Route 12 before the highway passes along the eastern shore of Indian Lake and goes through the city of Worcester. In West Boylston, I-190 has another interchange with Route 12 before turning to the northwest into Holden and then the north and crossing the Quinapoxet River. The freeway curves to the northeast reentering West Boylston and enters a more rural area, and I-190 intersects Route 140 and Route 12 another time in Sterling. In Lancaster, I-190 has an exit for Route 117. North of Johnny Appleseed State Park and Lancaster State Forest, I-190 merges and terminates at Route 2 and Mechanic Street in the city of Leominster.
|Worcester||0.000||0.000||—||I‑290 – Auburn, Marlborough||Southern terminus; I-290 exit 19|
|1.111||1.788||1||Route 12 (Gold Star Boulevard / West Boyleston Street)|
|2.346||3.776||2||Frontage Road / Ararat Street – Holden, Greendale|
|3.542||5.700||3||West Mountain Street – Holden, Boylston||Southbound exit only|
|West Boylston||3.980||6.405||4||Route 12 – West Boylston|
|Sterling||9.272||14.922||5||Route 140 – West Boylston, Princeton|
|14.123||22.729||6||Route 12 – Sterling, Clinton|
|Lancaster||16.894||27.188||7||Route 117 – Leominster, Lancaster|
|Leominster||19.122||30.774||8B||Route 2 east – Boston||Northbound exit and southbound entrance|
|19.122||30.774||Mechanic Street – Leominster||Northbound exit and southbound entrance; shares a ramp with exit 8B northbound as an unnumbered exit|
|19.95||32.11||8A||Route 2 west – Fitchburg||Northbound exit and southbound entrance; northern terminus|
|1.000 mi = 1.609 km; 1.000 km = 0.621 mi
- Staff (October 31, 2002). "Table 2: Auxiliary Routes of the Eisenhower National System of Interstate and Defense Highways". Route Log and Finder List. Federal Highway Administration.
- "Ask the Globe". The Boston Globe. June 21, 1997. Retrieved December 2, 2013. (subscription required (. ))
Massachusetts Highway spokeswoman Julie Vitek says those paved shoulders and similar ones in West Boylston near the Wachusett Reservoir were built in the 1970s to direct collected melted snow and salt into a Massachusetts highway closed well system, independent from drinking water supplies.
- Google (December 21, 2013). "I-190 Massachusetts". Google Maps. Google. Retrieved December 21, 2013.
- MassDOT Planning Division. "Massachusetts Route Log Application". Massachusetts Department of Transportation. Retrieved August 21, 2014.
- "Exit Numbers and Names: Route I-190 (Worcester to Leominster)". Massachusetts Department of Transportation. Retrieved August 21, 2014.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Interstate 190.|
Route map: Bing
- History of I-190 MA at Boston Roads