|Length:||316.36 mi (509.13 km)|
|West end:||I-57 in Pulleys Mill, IL|
| I-65 in Nashville, TN
I-40 in Nashville, TN
I-59 in Wildwood, GA
|East end:||I-75 in Chattanooga, TN|
Interstate 24 (I-24) is an Interstate Highway in the Midwestern and Southeastern United States. It runs diagonally from Interstate 57 (10 miles south of Marion, Illinois) to Chattanooga, Tennessee, at Interstate 75. As an even-numbered Interstate, it is signed as an east-west route, though the route follows a more southeast-northwest routing.
I-24 makes up the majority of a high-traffic corridor between St. Louis, Missouri, and Atlanta, Georgia. This corridor utilizes Interstate 64 and Interstate 57 northwest of I-24, and Interstate 75 southeast of I-24.
In the state of Illinois, Interstate 24 is a remote, four-lane freeway that travels through hilly rural southern Illinois and the Shawnee National Forest. There are only five mainline exits; of those five, four have services. Interstate 24 crosses into Kentucky via the Interstate 24 Bridge from Metropolis, Illinois, to Paducah, Kentucky.
In the state of Kentucky, Interstate 24 runs from Paducah to the Tennessee border just northwest of Clarksville. Along its route are Kentucky Dam, which forms Kentucky Lake, and Barkley Dam, which forms Lake Barkley, Land Between the Lakes National Recreation Area ("LBL"; under the management of the US Forest Service), and Fort Campbell.
Interstate 69 runs concurrently with Interstate 24 for 17 miles from the Purchase Parkway in Calvert City to Eddyville. Additionally, the planned Interstate 66 routing is proposed to run concurrent with Interstate 24 in the Eddyville-to-Paducah corridor.
One of the most notoriously hazardous stretches of Interstate Highway in the United States is approximately 40 miles (64 km) west of Chattanooga on I-24 in Monteagle, where the highway goes over the Cumberland Plateau. Compared to grades elsewhere, Monteagle's 4- to 6-percent grade does not come close to the steepest highway roads (the Siskiyou Pass of Interstate 5 in Oregon has some the steepest grades in the nation), but the slope is protracted over a distance of several miles.
Interstate 124 is an occasional (currently unsigned) designation of a portion of the US 27 freeway, which runs as a spur into downtown Chattanooga and beyond. Also in Chattanooga is the Ridge Cut, a 0.25 mile (0.40 km) section of Missionary Ridge between the 4th Avenue exit and the Germantown–Belvoir exit.
In the state of Georgia, Interstate 24 runs for 4 miles (6 km), running along the southern flank of Raccoon Mountain and intersecting with Interstate 59 before turning back north to the Tennessee River and around the northern flank of Lookout Mountain. The exits remain numbered according to Tennessee's mileposts. However, the mileposts are Georgia's mileposts.
This segment is also officially State Route 409.
Interstate 24 intersects with the following freeways, from west to east:
- I-57 in Pulleys Mill, Illinois (western terminus)
- Future I-69 / Purchase Pkwy. in Calvert City, Kentucky
- I-69 / Western Kentucky Pkwy. in Eddyville, Kentucky
- SR-155 (Briley Parkway) in Nashville, Tennessee
- I-65 in Nashville, Tennessee (concurrent for about 2 miles (3 km))
- I-40 in Nashville, Tennessee (concurrent for about 2 miles (3 km))
- I-440 in Nashville, Tennessee
- SR-840 in Murfreesboro, Tennessee
- I-59 in Wildwood, Georgia
- US 27 in Chattanooga, Tennessee
- I-75 in Chattanooga, Tennessee (eastern terminus)
- Federal Highway Administration (2002-10-31). "FHWA Route Log and Finder List: Table 1". Retrieved 2007-03-28.
- Google Inc. "overview map of I-24". Google Maps (Map). Cartography by Google, Inc. http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&hl=en&geocode=6811086053806484689,37.599533,-88.992556&saddr=I-24+E+%4037.599533,+-88.992556&daddr=35.004093,-85.217214&mra=mi&mrsp=1,0&sz=15&sll=35.006694,-85.226569&sspn=0.015888,0.028925&ie=UTF8&ll=36.315125,-87.473145&spn=4.000945,7.404785&z=7. Retrieved 2008-02-15.
- "Interstate 5: Interesting Facts". Oregon Department of Transportation. Retrieved 2007-09-26.
- Tennessee Department of Transportation, Fiscal Years 2008-2010 Transportation Improvement Program, May 1, 2007
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Interstate 24.|
- Geographic data related to Interstate 24 at OpenStreetMap
- Illinois Highway Ends: Interstate 24
- Official State of Tennessee Road Map[dead link]
|Browse numbered routes|
|← IL 23||IL||US 24 →|
|← US 23||KY||US 25 →|