Interstate 695 (I-695) is an auxiliary Interstate Highway in the New York City borough of the Bronx. It serves as a connector between I-95 (Bruckner Expressway) and I-295 (Cross Bronx Expressway) near the Throgs Neck Bridge towards Queens and Long Island. I-695 is named the Throgs Neck Expressway.
I-695 begins at exit 10 on the Cross Bronx Expressway Extension (I-295) in the Throggs Neck section of the Bronx. The highway heads to the northwest, passing through the western fringe of Weir Creek Park before descending into a cut and proceeding into Throggs Neck. Here, it connects to Randall Avenue (southbound) and Lafayette Avenue (northbound) as it makes its way northward. I-695 continues to the northern edge of the neighborhood, where it merges into the Bruckner Expressway (I-95) at its exit 7A.
The Throgs Neck Expressway was completed in 1961 at a cost of $16 million, connecting the Throgs Neck Bridge to the Bruckner Expressway. For years, the highway was considered (and signed as) a spur of I-78, which initially followed all of modern I-295 from the Bruckner Interchange to Hillside Avenue (now New York State Route 25). When this section of I-78 was renumbered to I-295 on January 1, 1970, the Throgs Neck Expressway became a spur of that route. In 1986, the New York State Department of Transportation re-signed the Throgs Neck Expressway as I-695 to avoid driver confusion with the Cross Bronx Expressway Extension, also signed as I-295. The Federal Highway Administration formally recognized I-695 on April 7, 2008, and the number was approved by the American Association of State Highway and Transportation Officials on May 6, 2008.
The entire route is in Throggs Neck, The Bronx. All exits are unnumbered.
- ^ a b "Establishment of an Interstate Route I-695" (PDF). American Association of State Highway and Transportation Officials. April 7, 2008. Retrieved July 18, 2010.
- ^ a b "2008 Traffic Volume Report for New York State" (PDF). New York State Department of Transportation. June 16, 2009. p. 244. Retrieved January 31, 2010.
- ^ Yahoo! Inc. Yahoo! Maps – overview map of Interstate 695 (Map). Cartography by Navteq. http://maps.yahoo.com/#mvt=h&lat=40.836833&lon=-73.821611&zoom=17&q1=40.821157%2C-73.813296&q2=40.83814%2C-73.825377. Retrieved July 18, 2010.
- ^ a b c Anderson, Steve. "Throgs Neck Expressway (I-695)". NYCRoads. Retrieved March 18, 2010.
- ^ Sunoco (1961). New York and Metropolitan New York (Map). Cartography by H.M. Gousha Company (1961–62 ed.).
- ^ State of New York Department of Commerce (1969). New York State Highways (Map). Cartography by Rand McNally and Company.
- ^ State of New York Department of Transportation (January 1, 1970). Official Description of Touring Routes in New York State (PDF). Retrieved July 18, 2010.
- ^ "Standing Committee on Highways Approved Decisions of the Special Committee" (MHTML). American Association of State Highway and Transportation Officials. May 6, 2008. Retrieved July 18, 2010.
Route map: Google / Bing