Interstate 85 Business (Spartanburg, South Carolina)
|Maintained by SCDOT|
|Length:||8.0 mi (12.9 km)|
|Existed:||1995 – present|
|South end:||I‑85 near Wellford|
| I‑26 near Spartanburg
I‑585 / US 176 near Spartanburg
|North end:||I‑85 near Spartanburg|
Interstate 85 Business is a Business Loop of the Interstate Highway System and a freeway running along the old route of Interstate 85 through Spartanburg, South Carolina, United States. It is the only freeway to connect with Interstate 585, which is now an isolated piece of the Interstate Highway System (as Business Loops are not considered part of the IHS).
|This section is empty. You can help by adding to it. (February 2009)|
This is one of two separate freeway segments to carry the Business I-85 designation. The other segment exists in the Piedmont Triad region of North Carolina, and it was also a former alignment of I-85. The old exit numbers are gone.
Established in 1995 when Interstate 85 was placed on new freeway bypassing north of Spartanburg. The old alignment, which was originally built as a Super two for US 29, was upgraded to a 4-lane freeway when Interstate 85 was established, in 1959. In 1962, US 29 was realigned back through downtown Spartanburg. Since 1959, few improvements have been made along the route, which is why it is labeled a substandard freeway.
Spartanburg civic leaders in 2000 proposed that it become Interstate 685, but was turned down by SCDOT because of cost of upgrades. As a compromise, the signage was amended calling it a "Freeway Loop" at both end points along Interstate 85.
The entire route is in Spartanburg County.
|Location||mi||km||Old exit||New exit||Destinations||Notes|
|0.0||0.0||—||—||I‑85 south – Greenville||Southbound exit and northbound entrance|
|Spartanburg||0.8||1.3||69||1||Road 41 (North Blackstock Road)|
|1.7||2.7||70||2||I‑26 – Columbia, Asheville||Signed as exits 2A (east) and 2B (west)|
|2.1||3.4||71||2C||Road 525 (Fairforest Road)|
|3.1||5.0||72A||3||SC 295 (New Cut Road)|
|3.6||5.8||72B||4A||Viaduct Road||Southbound exit only|
|4.0||6.4||72C||4B||SC 56 (Asheville Highway)||Signed as exit 4 northbound; Roundabout interchange|
|4.4||7.1||73A||5A||I‑585 south / US 176 east (Pine Street)|
|4.6||7.4||73B||5B||US 176 west – Inman||Southbound exit and northbound entrance|
|4.6||7.4||74||5B||Milliken Road||Northbound exit and southbound entrance|
|5.7||9.2||75||6||SC 9 (Boiling Springs Road)|
|7.0||11.3||76||7||Road 191 (Bryant Road)|
|8.0||12.9||—||—||I‑85 – Greenville, Charlotte||Northbound exit and southbound entrance|
|1.000 mi = 1.609 km; 1.000 km = 0.621 mi
- Google (February 8, 2013). "Interstate 85 Business Loop". Google Maps. Google. Retrieved February 8, 2013.
- National Highway System: Spartanburg SC (PDF) (Map). Cartography by FHWA. Federal Highway Administration. December 2003. Retrieved June 22, 2012.
- General Highway Map, Spartanburg County, South Carolina (PDF) (Map). Cartography by SCDOT. South Carolina Department of Transportation. 1972. Archived from the original on September 28, 2007. Retrieved June 22, 2012.
- General Highway Map, Spartanburg County, South Carolina (PDF) (Map). Cartography by SCDOT. South Carolina Department of Transportation. 1957. Retrieved February 7, 2013.
- "Mapmikey's South Carolina Highways Page: Interstate 85". Retrieved February 7, 2013.[unreliable source?]
- "Mapmikey's South Carolina Highways Page: U.S. Route 29". Retrieved February 7, 2013.[unreliable source?]
- "Interstate-Guide: Business Route 85". Retrieved February 7, 2013.[unreliable source?]
Route map: Bing
- Media related to Interstate 85 Business at Wikimedia Commons