Into the Light (David Coverdale album)
|Into the Light|
|Studio album by David Coverdale|
|Released||September 25, 2000 (UK)|
|Genre||Hard rock, blues-rock|
|David Coverdale chronology|
Into the Light is the third solo album by David Coverdale. It was released in September 2000.
In between 1978 and 1997, Coverdale and his band Whitesnake produced 9 studio albums. After a three year break, he returned with this most recent solo album since 1978's Northwinds. The album sneaked into the UK album chart at number 75.
In an interview with Classic Rock magazine in 2000, Coverdale stated: "The whole premise of my new record, Into The Light, is about coming out of what I felt was a dark period... I didn't really know who I was, using the illusion of David Coverdale I've created, or that other people have. I got tired of trying to live up to that, which is not necessarily who I am."
"Too Many Tears" was a new arrangement of the same song originally appearing on Coverdale's previous studio album, Whitesnake's Restless Heart.
- "...Into the Light" (Coverdale) - 1:16
- "River Song" (Coverdale) - 7:19
- "She Give Me..." (Coverdale) - 4:12
- "Don't You Cry" (Coverdale) - 5:47
- "Love is Blind" (Coverdale, Earl Slick) - 5:44
- "Slave" (Coverdale, Slick) - 4:51
- "Cry for Love" (Coverdale, Doug Bossi, Slick) - 4:52
- "Living on Love" (Coverdale, Bossi, Slick) - 6:31
- "Midnight Blue" (Coverdale, Slick) - 4:58
- "Too Many Tears" (Coverdale, Adrian Vandenberg) - 5:59
- "Don't Lie to Me" (Coverdale, Slick) - 4:43
- "Wherever You May Go" (Coverdale) - 3:59
At least three additional songs were recorded for this album that did not make the final CD. Coverdale released these tracks on his official Whitesnake.com website:
- "As Long As I Have You"
- "Oh No! Not the Blues Again"
- "All the Time in the World"
- "Love Is Blind" was released as a single with an accompanying music video, but did not chart.
- "Slave" reached #33 on the Billboard Mainstream Rock Tracks chart.
- David Coverdale - lead vocals, guitar on "...Into the Light" and "Cry for Love"
- Doug Bossi - guitar, background vocals
- Earl Slick - guitar
- Marco Mendoza - bass, Spanish guitar on "Wherever You May Go", background vocals
- Denny Carmassi - drums
- Derek Hilland - keyboards on "...Into the Light", "Living on Love"
- Mike Finnigan - organ & piano
- John X. Volaitis - keyboards & percussion on "She Give Me", keyboards & vocals on "Don't You Cry" & "Don't Lie to Me", keyboards on "Too Many Tears", harp on "Wherever You May Go"
- Reeves Gabrels - solo resolve on "She Give Me"
- Dylan Vaughan - guitar on "Don't You Cry"
- Tony Franklin - bass on "Don't You Cry"
- Bjorn Thorsud - tambourine on "Don't You Cry"
- James Sitterly - strings on "Love Is Blind"
- Ruy Folguera - string arrangement on "Love Is Blind"
- Jimmy Z - harmonica on "Cry for Love"
- Linda Rowberry - vocal duet on "Wherever You May Go"
- Allmusic review
- "Classic Rock magazine - David Coverdale interview brief". 2000-08-01. Retrieved 2009-04-18.
- "David Coverdale - extras". Retrieved 2009-04-18.[dead link]
- David Coverdale- Into the Light @Discogs.com Retrieved 4-2-2011.