Intronaut live in 2013
|Origin||Los Angeles, California, United States|
|Genres||Progressive metal, post-metal, experimental metal|
|Labels||Century Media, Translation Loss, Goodfellow, Lifeforce|
|Past members||Leon del Muerte|
Intronaut is a progressive metal band from Los Angeles, California that incorporates complex polyrhythms, progressive rock, and jazz. Intronaut features former members of Anubis Rising, Exhumed, Uphill Battle, and Impaled.
Intronaut's initial line-up included guitarist/vocalist Sacha Dunable, guitarist/vocalist Leon del Muerte, drummer Danny Walker, and bassist Joe Lester. According to Walker, the band chose its name because Intronaut is an "inner traveler" designed to encourage the listener to explore his or her own mind.
In 2005, Intronaut released a four-track demo entitled Null – Demonstration Extended Play Compact Disc. They signed to Goodfellow Records in October and recorded Void in early April 2006 at Shiva Industries in Santa Ana, California with producer John Haddad. Void represented the first songwriting effort featuring the band as a whole, as Dunable had written much of the material for Null prior to the other members joining the band.
In August 2007, guitarist/vocalist Leon del Muerte left the band to focus on Murder Construct and was replaced by Dave Timnick. Shortly thereafter Intronaut toured Europe for the first time in support of The Ocean.
In January 2008, the band announced that they had signed a world wide deal with Century Media Records and completed their next album, Prehistoricisms. As the album was the first without del Muerte - whom the band described as their "metal riff guy" - Prehistoricisms took on a more rhythmic quality that was exemplified by the double-drummer ending of "Any Port". They also recorded a cover of Eyehategod's "Dixie Whiskey" for Century Media's twentieth anniversary covers album.
In April 2009, Intronaut toured with Kylesa and Mastodon. Later that year, in October 2009, Intronaut played several shows in Kolkata and Pragati Maidan, Delhi for the Great Indian Rock Festival XIII.
In the summer of 2010, Intronaut released their third full-length album, Valley of Smoke, featuring a guest appearance from Justin Chancellor from Tool. The album was characterized by increased use of melody and pitched singing, as well as more concise songs. In late 2010, Intronaut opened for Cynic on the "Re-Traced/Re-Focused Tour" of North America. Shortly thereafter, Intronaut completed another North American tour opening for Helmet.
In mid-2011, Intronaut toured Europe with The Ocean and Red Fang, then toured North America with Animals as Leaders, Dead Letter Circus, and Last Chance to Reason, and then toured Europe again with Ghost Brigade and A Storm of Light.
In early 2012, Intronaut supported Tool on the first leg of their North American tour. After the tour, they commenced writing for their fourth studio album, Habitual Levitations (Instilling Words with Tones), which was released on March 19, 2013. In April 2014 they will support TesseracT in their North American tour, as well as serving as the live backing band for one man progressive outfit Cloudkicker's live debut.
- Null - Demonstration Extended Play Compact Disc (2005, self-released)
- Null (2006, Goodfellow)
- The Challenger (2007, Translation Loss)
- Void (2006, Goodfellow)
- Prehistoricisms (2008, Century Media)
- Valley of Smoke (2010, Century Media)
- Habitual Levitations (Instilling Words with Tones) (2013, Century Media)
- Like Black Holes In The Sky: A Tribute To Syd Barrett (2008, Dwell) "Arnold Layne"
- Covering 20 Years Of Extremes (2009, Century Media) "Dixie Whiskey"
- Sacha Dunable – guitar, vocals (2004–present)
- Dave Timnick – guitar, vocals, tabla, additional percussion (2007–present)
- Danny Walker – drums, samples (2004–present)
- Joe Lester – bass guitar (2004–present)
- Leon del Muerte – guitar, vocals (2004–2007)
- Cristina Fuentes – keyboards
- Rivadavia, Eduardo. "Intronaut Void". Allmusic. Retrieved 4 May 2013.
- "Intronaut: The best self-indulgent odd metered prog-metal band around". Deafsparrow. Retrieved 4 May 2013.
- "Intronaut Signs Worldwide Deal With Century Media Records". Ultimate-Guitar.com. 16 January 2008. Retrieved 4 May 2013.
- "Discography: Prehistoricisms". Retrieved 6 May 2013.
- "Mastodon's Crack The Skye First-Week U.S. Sales Projection". Blabbermouth. 26 March 2009. Retrieved 31 March 2009.
- "Discography: Valley of Smoke". Retrieved 6 May 2013.
- "Tool December 2012 Newsletter released, Intronaut support". 18 December 2011. Retrieved 4 May 2013.
- "Intronaut interview". Lambgoat.com. 23 December 2011. Retrieved 4 May 2013.
|last1=in Authors list (help)
- Neilstein, Vince (5 February 2013). "Get Trippy with Intronaut’s “Milk Leg” Video". Metalsucks. Retrieved 4 May 2013.
- TesseracT, Intronaut, and Cloudkicker: Tour Dates Officially Announced! MetalSucks. January 23 2014.