Intuition (Jamie Foxx album)
|Studio album by Jamie Foxx|
|Released||December 16, 2008|
|Genre||R&B, hip hop, soul, pop|
|Producer||Timbaland, Just Blaze, Christopher "Deep" Henderson, Jamie Foxx, Jim Jonsin, Tricky Stewart, Calvo da Gr8, The-Dream|
|Jamie Foxx chronology|
|Singles from Intuition|
The album has reached the top three on the US Billboard 200 chart and number 1 on the Top US R&B/Hip Hop Albums Charts, which it topped for six consecutive weeks. The album features several guest artists, including T.I., Lil Wayne, Ne-Yo, Kanye West, Fabolous, T-Pain and The-Dream.
Background and concept
|Problems playing these files? See media help.|
Intuition, as Foxx describes it, will focus on the needs and wants of the opposite sex. "On my radio show I have this panel of beautiful women and they were talking about how men with a lot of money aren't all that. But if a guy has no money, that's no good either,” Foxx explained. "So I was thinking, What does a woman want? We go from there and build the story and the songs."
The album's lead single "Just Like Me" featuring T.I., was released on November 11, 2008. The song debuted at number 48 on the Billboard Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs chart, before it peaked at number 8. It also peaked at number 49 on the Billboard 100.
The album's third single "Blame It" featuring T-Pain, was released on January 26, 2009. In its first week, "Just Like Me", "Blame It" and "She Got Her Own" were charted on the top-ten in the Billboard Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs at numbers 8, 1, and 2, respectively.
While on the Conan O'Brien show, Foxx performed the remix to "Digital Girl" featuring an Canadian rapper Drake, during the interview with MTV News, as he stated; it will be his fourth single from Intuition. The full studio version was leaked and officially released on June 19, 2009, which features guest appearances from Drake, adding Kanye West and The-Dream on this track.
The album debuted at number 3 on the US Billboard 200, selling 265,000 copies in the first week. The album became one of the Billboard 200's top ten album's within the first two months after it was released. Intuition has sold one million copies in the United States alone, as of May 2010, and has been certified platinum by the Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA).
|The Boston Globe||Positive|
|Los Angeles Times|||
|Los Angeles Times|||
|Yahoo! Music UK|||
Intuition received generally mixed reviews from music critics. At Metacritic, which assigns a normalized rating out of 100 to reviews from critics, the album received an average score of 56, which indicates "mixed or average reviews", based on 6 reviews. The Boston Globe reviewed the album positively, stating: "Like many contemporary R&B albums, the cameos sometimes crowd the main attraction, but Foxx is wise enough to intuit when it suits him best to share the spotlight." VIBE had a mixed review for the album, stating: "What is missing from Intuition is a balance between the party records and the slow jams. The division displays a lack of cohesiveness that separates the effort from being a great album into just a collection of potential singles."
Emily Heward of MusicOMH.com, however, was less impressed with the album, commenting: "[Intuition's songs are] lost amidst over-enthusiastic vocal effects" and that "it is hard to recognize the soulful voice that landed him his Oscar."
In May 2009, Foxx announced he was going on tour in the support of his third album Intuition. The 40-city tour kicked off on July 2 in Anaheim and ended in October.
|1.||"Just Like Me" (featuring T.I.)||Christopher Stewart, Terius Nash, Clifford Harris, Jr.||Tricky Stewart, The-Dream||3:28|
|2.||"I Don't Need It"||Timothy Mosley, James Fauntleroy, James Washington, Jerome Harmon||Timbaland, Jerome "J-Roc" Harmon||3:58|
|3.||"Number One" (featuring Lil Wayne)||Justin Smith, Marsha Ambrosius, Dwayne Carter, Jr., Michael Diamond, Adam Horovitz, Rick Rubin, Adam Yauch||Just Blaze||5:02|
|4.||"Digital Girl" (featuring Kanye West & The-Dream)||Stewart, Nash, Kanye West, Faheem Najm, David Balfour||Tricky Stewart, The-Dream||4:47|
|5.||"Blame It" (featuring T-Pain)||Jamie Foxx, Christopher Henderson, Nathan L. Walker, James T. Brown, Brandon R. Melanchon, John Conte, Jr., Najm, Breyon Prescott||Christopher "Deep" Henderson||4:50|
|6.||"She Got Her Own" (with Ne-Yo & Fabolous)||Shaffer Smith, A. Jiminez, D. Brown, John Jackson, D. Summer||Butter Beats||5:32|
|7.||"Intuition (Interlude)"||Foxx, Carlos McKinney||Los da Mystro||1:46|
|8.||"I Don't Know"||Salaam Remi, Rico Love, Arthur Ross, Leon Ware, John Sebastian, Steve Boone, Tre Hardson, Derrick Stewart, Emandu Wilcox, Romye Robinson, John Martinez||Salaam Remi||3:23|
|9.||"Weekend Lover"||Calvin "Calvo da Gr8" Kenon, Rico Love||Calvo da Gr8||4:13|
|10.||"Why"||Stewart, Nash||Tricky Stewart||4:53|
|11.||"Freak'in Me" (featuring Marsha Ambrosius)||Foxx, Elvis "Blac Elvis" Williams, Jamie Newman, B. Prescott, Ambrosius||J-New, Blac Elvis||3:46|
|12.||"Slow"||Stewart, Nash||Tricky Stewart||5:42|
|13.||"Rainman"||Stewart, Nash||Tricky Stewart||3:55|
|14.||"Overdose"||Foxx, Durrell Babbs, Joseph Bereal, Jason Bonner||Tank||4:09|
|15.||"Love Brings Change"||Foxx, Celester Burwell, Lonny Bereal||Jamie Foxx||4:05|
|16.||"Cover Girl" (featuring Lil' Kim) (iTunes bonus track)||3:56|
|17.||"Street Walker" (UK bonus track)||4:24|
- "Number One" — Contains a samples of "The New Style" by Beastie Boys
- The remix version of "Digital Girl" featuring Drake, The-Dream and Kanye West is not included on the tracklist as it was recorded following the album's release
|US Billboard 200||3||1,000,000|
|US Billboard Top R&B/Hip-Hop Albums||1|
|United States||December 16, 2008||J Records|
|United Kingdom||January 12, 2009|
- "Jamie Foxx: Intuition (New Album)". prefixmag.com. Retrieved 3 May 2011.
- "Jamie Foxx Returns With "Man's Intuition" On anal December 16". BET.com. Retrieved October 31, 2008.[dead link]
- "JAMIE FOXX PREPARES INTUITION FOR DEC: Actor's new album features input from Timbaland, Ne-Yo and the-Dream". EURweb.com. Retrieved November 11, 2008.[verification needed]
- "New Jamie Foxx single "Digital girl" feat. Drake". MTV.com. Retrieved 3 May 2011.
- Cohen, Jonathan (2008-12-24). "Taylor Swift Trumps Big Debuts To Stay No. 1". Billboard. Nielsen Business Media. Retrieved 2008-12-24.[dead link]
- "Music Albums, Top 200 Albums & Music Album Charts". Billboard.com. Retrieved 2010-05-30.[verification needed]
- "Gold & Platinum - February 20, 2011". RIAA. Retrieved 3 May 2011.
- "Jamie Foxx: Summer Album Preview 2010". billboard.com. Retrieved 3 May 2011.
- "Intiution Review". Metacritic. Retrieved 3 May 2011.
- "Intuition Review". Allmusic. Retrieved 3 May 2011.
- "Jamie Foxx Reviews". Robert Christgau. Retrieved 3 May 2011.
- "Jamie Foxx's 'Intuition' pays off - The Boston Globe". Boston.com. 2008-12-15. Retrieved 3 May 2011.
- Lewis, Randy (December 15, 2008). "Intuition Review". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved 3 May 2011.
- "Intuition Review". DJBooth.net. Retrieved 3 May 2011.
- "Intuition Review". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved 2009.[dead link]
- "Music". Vibe. Retrieved 2010-05-30.[verification needed]
- "Intuition Review". Yahoo! Music. Retrieved 3 May 2011.
- "Intuition Review". USA Today. Retrieved 2008.[dead link]
- "Jamie Foxx - Intuition | album reviews". musicOMH. Retrieved 3 May 2011.
- "Top R&B/Hip-Hop Albums - Intuition - Jamie Foxx". Billboard. Nielsen Business Media. Retrieved 2008-12-30.[dead link]