U.S. CD single cover
|Single by Jewel|
|from the album 0304|
|B-side||"Standing Still" (Live Acoustic Version)|
|Released||May 6, 2003 (U.S.)|
|Format||CD single, CD maxi single, digital download|
(Hollywood, Los Angeles, California)
|Writer(s)||Jewel Kilcher, Lester Mendez|
|Producer||Jewel Kilcher, Lester Mendez|
|Jewel singles chronology|
"Intuition" is a song by American pop singer–songwriter Jewel. It was released in May 2003 as the lead single from her fourth studio album, 0304. The song was written and produced by Jewel and Lester Mendez. Following the club success of "Serve the Ego", Jewel moved to a more pop-oriented sound with the release of "Intuition". The song, which strays from her usual folk style with simple acoustic guitar instrumentation, starts off with a French accordion and then experiments with dance-oriented beats with subtle urban influences, using synthesizers. The song achieved moderate success in the United States, reaching number 20 on the Billboard Hot 100. However, a number of Jewel's fans criticized her for abandoning her traditional folk style in exchange for a new pop sound. After the song was licensed to promote Schick Intuition razors, Jewel was accused of "writing a song that tells us all to resist the total marketing mentality... and then licensing that song to a consumer products company for a huge sales campaign."
Despite the switch of sound style, the song is lyrically similar to her previous work. It has a number of references to popular culture, including mentioning celebrities such as pop stars Britney Spears, Jennifer Lopez and Beyoncé, model Kate Moss, actor Charlie Sheen, magazines, film culture, and commercialism.
Background and writing
Inspired by the sudden success of scoring a number-one hit on the US Billboard Hot Dance Club Play chart with "Serve the Ego"— the final single from her previous album, This Way — in early November 2002, Jewel decided to make a radical departure from her previous folk-oriented musical efforts and recorded a dance album. 
"Intuition" was written and produced by Kilcher and Lester Mendez. It features accordions and dance beats, while she urges listeners to follow their hearts but then taunts, "Sell your sin/Just cash in." In another part of the lyrics, she tries to make sense of her own situation on Intuition: "I'm just a simple girl in a hi-tech digital world... in a world of postmodern fad, what was good now is bad."
The song received mostly positive reviews from contemporary music critics. Todd Burns from Stylus Magazine wrote that the track is "one of the better singles of the year (2003), Jewel’s vamps up the scale demand to be imitated whether lovingly or hatefully. Either way, you’re singing along, which is exactly the point. "UK Mix" wrote a very positive review, writing that the song "is a fun and catchy pop record that's perfect for summer. Its laid-back and playful verses explode into an uplifting and dancey chorus, completed by Jewel's sensual vocals. She still possesses clever lyrical skills (and she's done an equally clever video), so it's safe to say Jewel sounds much better now that she's dancing!." Another review from "UK Mix" wrote that "Lead by French horns and accordions and equipped with infectious lyrics, it's one of the better songs of this year."
Versions and commercial performance
The final release of the single saw no alteration from the album version. Radio stations however did receive a radio edit of the song, only deleting one repeated chorus verse from the ending of the song cutting it down to three minutes and 13 seconds. Commercial singles were released within the U.S. and internationally. In the U.S. there was a CD single and a CD maxi single release, the former contains "Intuition" and "Standing Still" (Live Acoustic Version) while the latter contains club mixes only. The single reached number 20 on the Billboard Hot 100, but hit number one on the Billboard Hot Dance Club Play for one week.
The song's music video, directed by Marc Klasfeld, was filmed mainly in low quality, but would switch to spoofs of commercials (such as Sprite, Levi's, Nike, and Corona) and female pop stars, with sensationalist images in high quality. The original video was later censored, after a lawsuit by Nike for using the swoosh symbol without permission. In the beginning of the video is shown: "Jewel's music sounds much better now that she's dancing!" reads a fake TRL crawl.
Track listings and formats
- U.S. CD single
- "Intuition" – 3:49
- "Standing Still" (Live Acoustic Version) – 4:56
- U.S. CD maxi single
- "Intuition" (Todd Terry In-House Mix) – 5:41
- "Intuition" (Gabriel & Dresden Hi-Tek Digital Mix) – 10:50
- "Intuition" (Markus Schulz Coldharbor Mix) – 10:21
- "Intuition" (Ford's Extended Mix) – 7:17
- "Intuition" (Tee's Freeze Mix) – 5:39
- "Intuition" (Gabriel & Dresden Rhythm Club Mix) – 8:17
- "Intuition" (Tee's Kat Mix) – 6:10
- "Intuition" (Gabriel & Dresden Lo-Tek Analog Dub) – 10:30
- Making of "Intuition" Music Video
- European CD single
- "Intuition" (Album Version) – 3:49
- "Intuition" (Ford's Radio Mix) – 4:17
- European CD maxi single
- "Intuition" (Album Version) – 3:49
- "Intuition" (Ford's Radio Mix) – 4:17
- "Intuition" (Tee's Kat Dub) – 6:46
- "Intuition" (Markus Schulz Club Mix) – 6:45
- UK CD single
- Intuition" (Album Version)
- Intuition" (Todd Terry In-House Mix) – 5:41
- Intuition" (Ford's Radio Mix) – 4:17
- Intuition" (Tee's Kat Dub) – 6:46
- Intuition" (Video)
- Australian CD single
- Intuition" (Album Version) – 3:49
- Intuition" (Gabriel & Dresden Hi-Tek Digital Mix) – 10:47
- Intuition" (Tee's Kat Dub) – 6:10
- Intuition" (Markus Schulz Club Mix) – 6:46
- Todd Terry In-House Mix
- Todd Terry Radio Mix
- Gabriel & Dresden Hi-Tek Digital Mix
- Gabriel & Dresden Lo-Tek Analog Dub
- Gabriel & Dresden Rhythm Club Mix
- Markus Schulz Club Mix
- Markus Schulz Coldharbor Mix
- Markus Schulz Radio Mix
- Ford's Extended Mix
- Ford's Radio Mix
- Tee's Freeze Mix
- Tee's Freeze Mixshow
- Tee's Kat Mix
- Tee's Kat Dub
- Tee's Rub-A-Dub
- Tee's Deep Dub
- Tee's Dub Mix
- Hot Tracks Mix
|Belgium (Ultratip Flanders)||2|
|Canada (Nielsen Soundscan)||34|
|Netherlands (Dutch Top 40)||5|
|Germany (Media Control AG)||77|
|New Zealand (Recorded Music NZ)||17|
|Switzerland (Schweizer Hitparade)||87|
|UK Singles (Official Charts Company)||52|
|US Billboard Hot 100||20|
|US Hot Dance Club Songs (Billboard)||1|
|US Mainstream Top 40 (Billboard)||7|
"So Gone" by Monica
|Billboard Hot Dance Club Play number-one single
July 26, 2003
"Alright" by Murk
- Walker, Rob (2003-07-07). "Shilling for Schick". Slate.com. Retrieved 2008-07-04.
- Slomowicz, DJ Ron. "Jewel – 0304 CD Review". About.com. The New York Times Company. Retrieved March 14, 2012.
- Erlewine, Stephen Thomas. "304 – Jewel – Review". Allmusic. Rovi Corporation. Retrieved March,54322, 14, 2012.
- Cinquemani, Sal (June 6, 2003). "Jewel: 0304". Slant Magazine. Retrieved March 14, 2012.
- Petridis, Alexis (August 22, 2003). "Jewel: 0304". The Guardian. guardian.co.uk. Retrieved March 14, 2012.
- Burns, Todd (September 1, 2003). "Jewel – 0304". Stylus Magazine. Retrieved March 14, 2012.
- "UKMIX - Reviews - Jewel - Intuition". UK Mix. 18 August 2003. Retrieved 14 March 2012.
- "Australian-charts.com – Jewel – Intuition". ARIA Top 50 Singles. Retrieved January 29, 2011.
- "Ultratop.be – Jewel – Intuition" (in Dutch). Ultratip. Retrieved January 29, 2011.
- "Chart Data: Jewel". Mariah-Charts.com. Retrieved 2008-03-04.
- "Nederlandse Top 40 – Jewel search results" (in Dutch) Dutch Top 40. Retrieved January 29, 2011.
- "Die ganze Musik im Internet: Charts, News, Neuerscheinungen, Tickets, Genres, Genresuche, Genrelexikon, Künstler-Suche, Musik-Suche, Track-Suche, Ticket-Suche – musicline.de" (in German). Media Control Charts. PhonoNet GmbH. Retrieved January 29, 2011.
- "Charts.org.nz – Jewel – Intuition". Top 40 Singles. Retrieved January 29, 2011.
- "Jewel – Intuition – swisscharts.com". Swiss Singles Chart. Retrieved January 29, 2011.
- "Jewel" UK Singles Chart. Retrieved January 29, 2011.
- "Jewel Album & Song Chart History" Billboard Hot 100 for Jewel. Retrieved January 29, 2011.
- "Jewel Album & Song Chart History" Billboard Hot Dance/Club Play for Jewel. Retrieved January 29, 2011.
- "Jewel Album & Song Chart History" Billboard Pop Songs for Jewel. Retrieved January 29, 2011.