Inu x Boku SS
|Inu × Boku SS|
Cover from the first volume of the Japanese manga
(Inu Boku Shīkuretto Sābisu)
|Genre||Comedy, Romance, Supernatural, Drama|
|Written by||Cocoa Fujiwara|
|Published by||Square Enix|
|English publisher||Yen Press|
|Original run||2009 – 2014|
|Anime television series|
|Directed by||Naokatsu Suda|
|Music by||Kōtarō Nakagawa|
|Network||MBS, TBS, CBC|
|Original run||January 12, 2012 – March 29, 2012|
|Episodes||12 + OVA|
Inu × Boku SS (妖狐×僕SS Inu Boku Shīkuretto Sābisu?, lit. The Dog and Me Secret Service), also known as Youko x Boku, is a Japanese manga series written and illustrated by Cocoa Fujiwara. An anime adaptation by David Production aired in Japan between January and March 2012. The anime has been licensed by Sentai Filmworks for streaming, and home video release in North America.
The Maison de Ayakashi (メゾン・ド・章樫 Mezon do Ayakashi?), better known as the Ayakashikan (妖館?), is a high security apartment building where humans with demon ancestors, or yōkai, reside, each guarded by their own Secret Service bodyguard. A yōkai girl named Ririchiyo Shirakiin moves into the Ayakashikan hoping for some peace and quiet. Instead, she finds herself with the service of the Secret Service agent, Sōshi Miketsukami.
The first four volumes of the manga are a prologue. At the end of volume four, a foe possesses Karuta, leaving her in a coma for several months, and uses other yōkai to attack the other residents of Maison de Ayakashi. Due to this, nearly every member of the main cast is killed. Part 2 takes place 23 years later, when those killed are reincarnated. The yōkai boy is still alive acting as the friend of Watanuki who is now a middle schooler.
- Ririchiyo Shirakiin (白鬼院 凜々蝶 Shirakiin Ririchiyo?)
- Voiced by: Rina Hidaka (Japanese), Hilary Haag (English)
- A half-human, half-oni high school girl who transferred to Room 4 of the Maison de Ayakashi in order to live alone. She yearns to be independent and constantly worries about not being able to communicate with other people properly, as due to the fact she was bullied when she was young, she developed a habit of rudely slighting people whenever they try to interact with her. Her SS agent and servant is Sōshi, who has the blood of a fox-spirit. While at first she is exasperated by Sōshi's extreme willingness to serve her, she eventually realizes she's fallen in love with him, something that is only compounded when she later finds out that it was Sōshi who wrote the letters that were supposed to be from her fiance to her. Eventually Ririchiyo confesses her love to Sōshi, and they begin a relationship with each other.
- Ririchiyo was killed at the age of 16 after trying to stop the enemy yōkai raid after they killed Sōshi. In Part 2, she is reincarnated, but has amnesia from the trauma of losing Sōshi after he protected her. Once she does remember, she gains a resolution to protect everyone so that history doesn't repeat itself, since Soshi was cursed to die the same way each time he was reborn. So, Ririchiyo makes him a cup of coffee like promised in the previous life and ends the contract with him, to protect him.
- Sōshi Miketsukami (御狐神 双熾 Miketsukami Sōshi?)
- Voiced by: Yuichi Nakamura (Japanese), Chris Patton (English)
- The assigned SS Agent to Ririchiyo and, in his own words, her servant and "Dog". Sōshi is descended from of the evil nine-tailed fox who was soushi's past life. Ririchiyo helped him when she was little, although she's initially unaware of it. Later on in the series, it's revealed that his family had kept him under house arrest because they feared the powers of the kitsune, and in order to obtain freedom he learned to manipulate and appeal to others through obeying their whims. However, because of this, he was unable to form his own personality. It wasn't until he started corresponding with Ririchiyo through letters, under the guise of her fiance Kagerō, that he realized that he was in fact, capable of having emotion, and he began growing into his own person. He's very calm, polite, and gentle to everyone he interacts with, but he bears particularly strong devotion to his Ririchiyo, blindly obeying her and protecting her with his life if the situation calls for it. He enters a relationship with her after she confesses her love for him, which was prompted by him reading a letter that detailed her feelings for him that she meant to put into a time capsule, but instead sent to him by mistake. What he wishes for is a family, which he never had. A notable feature is his heterochromia, in which his right eye is blue, while the other is a dark gold.
- He was killed in action at the end of Part 1 at age 23, protecting Ririchiyo from a band of evil yōkai. He is reincarnated but does not remember his previous life. After learning from Kagerō's mother how important Ririchiyo was for the previous Sōshi, he researches about her and becomes Ririchiyo's SS agent. After Ririchiyo regains her memories, she breaks her contract with him, in an attempt to protect him and also because she realizes he is not the same Sōshi she fell in love with.
- Renshō Sorinozuka (反ノ塚 連勝 Sorinozuka Renshō?)
- Voiced by: Yoshimasa Hosoya (Japanese), David Wald (English)
- An Ittan-momen half-demon with several tattoos on his tanned skin, he is the tenant of Room 3. He has known Ririchiyo since they were children and earns Sōshi's trust because of it. His SS Agent is Nobara, who he, despite the fact they bicker quite a bit, has a close relationship with. He has a very lazy personality. He has had many girls confess their love for him, but he always rejects them, because he feels he will have to separate from them anyway, because while he can reincarnate into basically the exact same person again, humans will not.
- He was one of the only Maison de Ayakashi members not to die due to the enemy yōkai raid. As such, he has aged normally, and is now 41 years old. He's become quite jaded as a result of living on while the others had to be reborn again. He is currently living with Nobara, and laments over what she has become: A middle school student. He now has a goatee.
- Nobara Yukinokōji (雪小路 野ばら Yukinokōji Nobara?)
- Voiced by: Yōko Hikasa (Japanese), Shelley Calene-Black (English)
- The SS Agent assigned to Renshō. She is descended from a Yuki-onna and wears glasses in her human form. She is very interested in fashion and cute girls, often sexually fantasizing over them. She shouts the catchphrase "MANIAC!" whenever she sees something she finds to be arousing. (In Japanese, "maniac マニアック" is used as an adjective to mean "being enthusiastic (esp. about obscure things)" or in this context, something closer to the English "kinky" or "freaky.") She often acts like a big sister to both Karuta and Ririchiyo. Although she states she has no interest in men, and often treats her protectorate Renshō poorly, she and can be surprisingly caring for him, and once even hugs him from behind.
- She was killed at the age of 22 by an enemy band of yōkai. She was reincarnated, and is currently a middle school student living with Renshō.
- Kagerō Shōkiin (青鬼院 蜻蛉 Shōkiin Kagerō?)
- Voiced by: Tomokazu Sugita (Japanese), David Matranga (English)
- Tenant of Room 2, and a half-oni like Ririchiyo. He's Sōshi, Banri, and Natsume's former master and childhood friend, and Ririchiyo's fiancée. Kagerō is eccentric, straightforward, and a narcissist, often calling the other tenants "pigs" or "animals". His SS agent is Karuta, who he keeps on a chain and in a maid outfit. He compulsively classes people in two different categories - "Sadist" or "Masochist". Ririchiyo used to write him letters when she was young, however, the letters' responses were in fact written by Sōshi. Despite his outrageous, egotistical personality, he has shown the ability to be surprisingly perceptive, and at times even sensitive, towards others.
- He died and reincarnated along with the others. Now, he is 20 years old and currently living in Maison de Ayakashi in Room 3.
- Karuta Roromiya (髏々宮 カルタ Roromiya Karuta?)
- Voiced by: Kana Hanazawa (Japanese), Monica Rial (English)
- The assigned SS Agent to Kagerō, a Gashadokuro (large skeleton made from the bone of people dead from starvation) whose human form depicts her as a light brown haired (reddish pink in the anime) teenage girl. Though she appears to be "zoned out" most of the time, she's actually very clever, observant, and likes eating. Karuta shows special feelings for Watanuki, who is her childhood friend.
- Near the end of Part 1, she was attacked and possessed by enemy yōkai who began to use her for their own purposes. She asked Watanuki to kill her, as she could never return to human form. Watanuki yelled to her and told her that he would still be by her side, no matter if she couldn't return to human form. Although she was so happy to hear these sentiments, she was completely taken over by the enemy and was forced to be killed sometime after the raid. In Part 2, she has been reincarnated, and is currently 20-years old, the oldest of the reincarnated female main characters. She now has short hair, and her breasts are bigger than in her previous life.
- Banri Watanuki (渡狸 卍里 Watanuki Banri?)
- Voiced by: Takuya Eguchi (Japanese), Greg Ayres (English)
- Tenant of Room 1, Banri is a mixed blood tanuki demon with an impulsive streak and is very outspoken. Labeling himself a "delinquent", he considers Sōshi his rival because he called him cute, causing Banri to resent him. His SS agent is Zange. He has strong feelings for Karuta Roromiya, who was the reason he decided he wanted to become strong. He deeply hates and is afraid of Kagerō because he was bullied by him as kids and the way he treats Karuta.
- Near the end of Part 1, he tries to convince a possessed Karuta that he will be by her side, even if she can't turn back into human form. Although she cries in happiness, she is unable to override the enemy's control, and Karuta as a person is completely erased. He chased after her, but was killed in the battle between the Maison de Ayakashi and the enemy yōkai at age 16. He has been reincarnated in Part 2 as a middle school student, but has no memories of Part 1, much like Ririchiyo and Sōshi. His SS is Karuta in Part 2, and he is now the youngest of all the residents.
- Zange Natsume (夏目 残夏 Natsume Zange?)
- Voiced by: Mamoru Miyano (Japanese), Blake Shepard (English)
- The assigned SS agent to Banri, Natsume is a half-human, half-demon wearing a set of black rabbit ears on his head. His ancestor was a Hyakume, or 100 eyes monster, capable of "seeing" the past, future, and various other things. He claims to be able to "see" such things as well because of this heritage. His powers also come in handy when looking for information, although it seems to adversely affect his health. Despite a somewhat frail disposition, he is a very cheerful individual. He is best friends with Kagerō and has known him, as well as Soushi and Banri, since childhood. He's very fond of Sōshi, and likes to flirt with him and call him "Sou-tan" because of this. Natsume is something of a meddlesome busybody, as he likes to stick his nose into the business of his peers and can come off quite sinister and suspicious at times. That being said, his motives usually have positive goals, such as allowing his friends to realize things about themselves or their relationships. His motto is "everyone should get along."
- Natsume died of illness at age 24, two years after Sōshi was killed in the enemy yōkai's raid. He was reincarnated, and is currently 21.
The manga is titled Youko x Boku SS, and it is serialized in Gangan Joker. Currently, 8 volumes have been published in Japan. At the 2013 Sakura-Con, Yen Press announced that they have licensed this series and will be publishing the first volume in English in October 2013.
|No.||Japan release date||Japan ISBN||North America release date||North America ISBN|
|01||April 22, 2010 ||ISBN 978-4757528512||October 29, 2013 ||ISBN 978-0316243131|
|02||April 22, 2010||ISBN 978-4757528529||January, 2014 ||ISBN 978-0-316-32207-2|
|03||July 22, 2010||ISBN 978-4757529403||April, 2014 ||ISBN 978-0-316-32209-6|
|04||February 22, 2011||ISBN 978-4757531468||Coming July 2014 ||ISBN 978-0-316-32208-9|
|05||July 22, 2011||ISBN 978-4757532908||Coming October 2014 ||ISBN 978-0-316-32210-2|
|06||December 22, 2011||ISBN 978-4757534483||Coming January 2015 ||ISBN 978-0-316-32213-3|
|07||June 22, 2012||ISBN 978-4757536302||Coming May 2015 ||ISBN 978-0-316-32215-7|
|08||November 22, 2012||ISBN 978-4757537941||Coming July 2015 ||ISBN 978-0-316-32217-1|
|09||May 22, 2013||ISBN 978-4757539709|
|10||October 22, 2013||ISBN 978-4757540927|
An anime adaptation by David Production began airing in Japan from January 12, 2012 and is being simulcast on Crunchyroll. An original video animation episode was released with the 7th Blu-ray Disc volume on September 26, 2012. I It covers events from the first three volumes of the manga, with some modifications. The series has been licensed in North America by Sentai Filmworks, who released the series on Blu-ray and DVD in April 2013. MVM Films have licensed the series in the United Kingdom.
- Opening Theme
- "Nirvana" (ニルヴァーナ Niruvāna?) by Mucc
- Ending Themes
- 1. "Rakuen no Photograph" (楽園のPhotograph?) by Yuichi Nakamura
- 2. "Kimi wa" (君は?) by Rina Hidaka
- 3. "One Way" by Takuya Eguchi and Mamoru Miyano
- 4. "SM Hantei Forum" (SM判定フォーラム Esuemu Hantei Fōramu?) by Tomokazu Sugita
- 5. "Sweets Parade" by Kana Hanazawa
- 6. "Taiyō to Tsuki" (太陽と月?) by Yoshimasa Hosoya and Yōko Hikasa
|01||"The Dog and Me"
"Inu to Boku" (いぬとぼく)
|January 12, 2012|
|Ririchiyo Shirakiin, a girl from a rich family, moves into the high security Maison de Ayakashi apartment complex, where she finds herself assigned a Secret Service agent named Sōshi Miketsukami. Ririchiyo is reluctant to have Sōshi as her Secret Service, particularly as she does not feel worth protecting as her family household has taken up much of her being. One night, a burglar breaks into the complex to try and rob Ririchiyo, only to learn that Sōshi, along with the other Secret Service agents in the complex, have the power to channel the spirits of monsters. Having been protected from a gunshot by him, Ririchiyo accepts Sōshi as her bodyguard.|
|02||"A Lonely Dog"
"Samishigariya no Inu" (淋しがり屋の犬)
|January 19, 2012|
|Renshō Sorinozuka tags along with Ririchiyo and Sōshi at a shopping mall till evening. Sōshi tells Ririchiyo that they have meet each other in the past, but she does not recall of this. As the three return to the complex, they learn from Nobara Yukinokōji that Karuta Roromiya has gone missing. As they set out to find her, Ririchiyo finds herself trapped inside a dark spirit called a nurikabe. With much effort, Sōshi and Ririchiyo slash through the barrier using their enhanced abilities. It turns out that Karuta had left earlier to help prepare a welcome party for Ririchiyo and Sōshi.|
|03||"The Real Contract"
"Hontō no Keiyaku" (ほんとうの契約)
|January 26, 2012|
|Ririchiyo enters high school, having to deal with the stress of making a good impression. She later notices Sōshi kissing an admirer, but he denies ever having a relationship with the admirer. After questioning him about it, her emotions get the best of her, to the point of her terminating their contract together. The following day, Nobara offers Ririchiyo to contract with her, but the latter turns her down. During a school banquet, after two male students make fun of Ririchiyo for her hostility, Sōshi defends her true personality as being kindhearted. After she realizes how much he cares for her, Ririchiyo asks Sōshi to be her bodyguard again.|
|04||"Ayakashi Kan Walk Rally"
"Ayakashi-kan Wōkurarī" (妖館ウォークラリー)
|February 02, 2012|
|Banri Watanuki, a former resident of the complex, has returned from training with Zange Natsume, his Secret Service agent. Sōshi has known Watanuki and Natsume since childhood, which makes this seem awkward to Ririchiyo. The four participate in a walk rally to obtain signatures from all the residents. After Ririchiyo and Sōshi finds Karuta, Natsume reveals that Watanuki had originally gone off to train in order to protect the girl he loves. Ririchiyo seems deep in thought after she begins to have an irregular heartbeat.|
|05||"Kagerō (Dragonfly) of the Spring"
"Haru no Kagerō" (春の蜻蛉)
|February 09, 2012|
|Ririchiyo wants to write a letter of apology to Sōshi, but she hesitates trying to find the right notepad to write on. Ririchiyo has been getting disturbing text messages from a block number, shrugging them off until they become more frequent and threatening. While Ririchiyo is walking back from the store alone at night, Sōshi finds her and expresses his worry for her. Soon after, Kagerō Shōkiin, the one responsible for sending the text messages, appears out of the blue. As he is also a childhood friend of most of the other male residents, Kagerō gives all the tenants and agents various "bondage items" as gifts. He also mentions he had formerly served under Sōshi, catching Ririchyo off guard. After he then claims to be engaged to Ririchiyo, she remembers exchanging letters with him when she was young.|
"Kangaeru yori mo" (考えるよりも)
|February 16, 2012|
|Karuta spends a lot of her time in her own world in high school, much to Ririchiyo's concern. Watanuki says that not many people truly understand what goes on in Karuta's mind. Natsume wants Ririchiyo to bond with Karuta, although she has no idea how to do so. Since Ririchiyo offered Karuta some of her lunch, Karuta repays her by giving her several treats during suppertime. The next day, Ririchiyo is amazed at Karuta's cooking skills during home economics class, and she begins to understand what Karuta is going through. A downpour occurs after school, and a nure-onna enters the building. Ririchiyo takes it down after Watanuki fails to defeat it. However, the nure-onna revives and sends Ririchiyo and Watanuki out the window. Luckily, Karuta arrives and saves them both from falling.|
|07||"Their Night Alone"
"Futari no Yoru" (ふたりのよる)
|February 23, 2012|
|A flock of ghosts have invaded the mansion and security measures have been activated. The residents are locked in various places of the mansion and are to stay there until morning. In her room, this is the perfect time for Ririchiyo to express her feelings for Sōshi, but this proves difficult for her. In the hallway, Natsume encourages Watanuki to use this time to train all night. In the cafeteria, Sorinozuka rests while Nobara plays shogi with Chino, one of the maids. In the kitchen, Karuta becomes so hungry that she starts to cook a full-course meal. Sōshi stays up all night while Ririchiyo tries to go to sleep. But before doing so, she thanks him for his service thus far. Watanuki accidentally breaks the barrier, allowing the ghosts, known as the obariyon, to pass through. As it seems that the obariyon are wiped out, a few more come out and jump on Ririchiyo's back. Sōshi, who cannot bear the sight of this, destroys the rest of them.|
|08||"Tea and Distance"
"Ocha to Kyori" (お茶と距離)
|March 1, 2012|
|Ririchiyo wants the type of friendship with Sōshi the tenants share with their agents. She is unable to speak her true feelings, not to mention that she does not know much about his background. She observes how Karuta and Watanuki interact with each other while at school, hoping to understand this for herself. She plans to make coffee and sit down with Sōshi, but she first come up with ideas to invite him to drink coffee with her, all to no avail. After many desperate attempts to ask him, she calls for him under a cherry blossom, where she finally says that they should treat each other as friends, inviting him to have coffee in her room the following evening.|
|09||"Day of the Promise"
"Yakusoku no Hi" (約束の日)
|March 8, 2012|
|Ririchiyo frets over her upcoming coffee date with Sōshi. In the afternoon, Ririchiyo cleans up her room, then decides to study with Karuta and Watanuki for an upcoming quiz in their class while the agents monitor them. Natsume creates a series of "partner games" for everyone, guessing what is inside the mystery box and taking a partner quiz, yet Sōshi gets carried away with both of these. A series of commands have appeared in the mansion causing quite a stir. It just so happens that Kagerō was the one behind this.|
|10||"The Unfaithful Demon Fox"
"Uragiri no Yōko" (裏切りの妖狐)
|March 15, 2012|
|The coffee date is cancelled due to Kagerō's unexpected return, so she reschedules it for the next day. However, after school the next day, Kagerō drags Ririchiyo with him to several dating spots all over town, making matters worse. Later than night, Ririchiyo grows anxious by Sōshi not responding to her apology text, so she decides to visit his room and offer him a melon to apologize. When she does apologize, Sōshi acts out of character, causing her to get flustered and return to her room in distress. The very next morning, Sōshi begs Kagerō in not telling Ririchiyo his hidden secret, but Kagerō denies, leading to an intensive battle between the two. Ririchiyo later finds the two and stops them from fighting, asking them to explain what the problem is. It is then that Sōshi admits he is hiding something from Ririchiyo.|
|March 22, 2012|
|Since his family name was known to be born from an evil bloodline, Sōshi was secluded inside a shrine as a child. A year later at a party, a woman allows him to work for her in her house, where he is to serve a young Kagerō for a living. It is revealed that Kagerō told Sōshi to respond to the letters sent from his fiancée, to which Sōshi believed her to be very perceptive. When Kagerō showed Sōshi who his fiancée was, that being Ririchiyo, Sōshi was surprised to see a spoiled rich girl write letters so keenly. During the summer, they continued writing letters to each other, and Sōshi realized his feelings for Ririchiyo, but he started to feel guilty for faking Kagerō's personality. After hearing that Ririchiyo moved inside the Maison de Ayakashi, that is when he decided to become a Secret Service agent. Ririchiyo already knows that Kagerō was not the one who responded to her letters, but she is shocked to find out that Sōshi was actually the one who did, which confirmed how Sōshi knew so much about her in the first place.|
|12||"The Day We Came Together"
"Futari ni natta Hi" (二人になった日)
|March 29, 2012|
|Kotarō, the son of the chef, has a conversation with Sorinozuka about his worries on what might happen when Joe, his father, reincarnates, but then Natsume suddenly suggests to send a message inside a time capsule buried in the garden for the future reincarnation to read. Natsume convinces the others to join in writing letters to their future selves. Ririchiyo recounts how much she has changed since she has lived inside the apartment complex. While Kotarō thinks of what to write, he is comforted by his father, who states he and his future self are two separate beings. Ririchiyo accidentally switched a letter written to Sōshi that was meant for her future self, which stated that she will not run away and will stay by his side. She runs away to a park, and, after Sōshi calls her to come and get her, Ririchiyo realizes Sōshi hates himself like she was before, but she was able to overcome the ordeal because she fell in love with Sōshi. Knowing she has hurt others to protect herself, she decided to use her courage to save him by confessing her love to him. Sōshi embraces Ririchiyo and expresses his love for her as well. Sōshi dreams of having a family with her, but Ririchiyo replies that only time will tell if it is meant to happen.|
"Miketsukami-kun Henka" (御狐神くん変化)
|September 26, 2012|
Noticing Ririchiyo's nervousness, Sōshi tries to ease her by transforming into a young boy and then into a woman. Later, Natsume plays around with Sorinozuka various 'switches' which encourages Karuta to try and find other people's 'switches'. Afterwards, Kotarō's younger sister, Hana, comes to the mansion and decides to play house with the tenants, which takes many bizarre turns.
- "Inu × Boku SS TV Anime Slated for 2012". Anime News Network. 2011-08-23. Retrieved August 23, 2011.
- "Sentai Filmworks Adds Inu x Boku S.S. Anime". Anime News Network. Retrieved January 6, 2012.
- "Yen Press Adds Inu × Boku SS, WataMote, Wolf Children, Kingdom Hearts Manga (Updated)". Anime News Network. Retrieved April 13, 2013.
- "妖狐×僕SS 第1巻" (in Japanese). Square Enix. Retrieved April 13, 2013.
- "INU x BOKU SS Volume 1". Yen Press. Retrieved December 12, 2013.
- "妖狐×僕SS 第2巻" (in Japanese). Square Enix. Retrieved April 13, 2013.
- "INU x BOKU SS by Cocoa Fujiwara". Yen Press. Yen Press. Retrieved June 11, 2014.
- "妖狐×僕SS 第3巻" (in Japanese). Square Enix. Retrieved April 13, 2013.
- "妖狐×僕SS 第4巻" (in Japanese). Square Enix. Retrieved April 13, 2013.
- "妖狐×僕SS 第5巻" (in Japanese). Square Enix. Retrieved April 13, 2013.
- "妖狐×僕SS 第6巻" (in Japanese). Square Enix. Retrieved April 13, 2013.
- "妖狐×僕SS 第7巻" (in Japanese). Square Enix. Retrieved April 13, 2013.
- "妖狐×僕SS 第8巻" (in Japanese). Square Enix. Retrieved April 13, 2013.
- "妖狐×僕SS 第9巻" (in Japanese). Square Enix. Retrieved December 12, 2013.
- "妖狐×僕SS 第10巻" (in Japanese). Square Enix. Retrieved December 12, 2013.
- "Crunchyroll to Stream Inu x Boku SS TV Anime Series". Anime News Network. 2012-02-09.