Invading the Sacred
|Author||Antonio de Nicolas, Krishnan Ramaswamy and Aditi Banerjee|
|Publisher||Rupa & Co|
Invading The Sacred: An Analysis Of Hinduism Studies In America is a critical work published in 2007 by Rupa & Co. which discusses factual inaccuracies in Hindu studies. The editors of the book are Antonio de Nicolas, Krishnan Ramaswamy and Aditi Banerjee. The book has contributions from Prof. Arvind Sharma of McGill University, S.N.Balagangadhara of Ghent University, Psychoanalyst Alan Roland, Yvette C. Rosser, Ramesh N. Rao, Pandita Indrani Rampersad, Yuvraj Krishnan and others.
Documenting protests and disputed studies
The book documents essays, critiques and surveys of western scholarship on religions and traditions in India. Often, the current knowledge in America of Hinduism is shocking to Indians. The book also contains critiques of European ideas as applied to Indian culture. The last sections chronicles how key academic establishments in United States have responded. The book documents protests that are not only of cognitive or factual basis but also often about interpretations. Critics of academics claim bias or gross errors in some aspects. The book also disputes the studies by Wendy Doniger, Jeffery Kripal and Paul Courtright. It also critiques the efficacy of the excessive use of Freudian psychoanalysis in hermeneutics which some of these studies rely on.
Analysis of the book
Impact of the book
The book played a seminal role in initiating deeper review of scholarly study of Hinduism in the USA, and is often cited in related articles. A chapter by chapter summary of the book is available online.
- Autobiography of a Yogi
- Hinduism Invades America
- Hindu American Foundation
- Breaking India
- Being Different
- Indra's Net
- Rajiv Malhotra
- Banerjee, Aditi. "Invading The Sacred". Outlook. Retrieved 15 August 2010.
- Ramaswamy, Krishnan. "Invading the Sacred". Little India. Retrieved 15 August 2010.
- Mark Singleton, Jean Byrne (2008). Yoga in the modern world: contemporary perspectives. Taylor & Francis. p. 13.
- Francis X. Clooney (2010). Comparative Theology: Deep Learning Across Religious Borders. John Wiley and Sons. p. 172.
- The Sacred Is the Profane: The Political Nature of Religion, William Arnal, Russell T. McCutcheon, Oxford University Press, 2012, p. 9
- Foreword by S.N. Balagangadhara, Invading The Sacred-An Analysis of Hinduism Studies in America, the book's website
- Preface by Prof. Arvind Sharma, Invading The Sacred - An Analysis of Hinduism Studies in America, the book's website
- See "On the Study of Hinduism in the USA, and the Issue of adhikāra-", Orientalistische Literaturzeitung 106 (2011):151-168, ISSN 0030-5383
- Balakrishna, Sandeep. "Why the Wendy Doniger episode is not a free speech issue". firstpost.com. Retrieved 5 December 2014.
- Gupta, Bharat. "A Critique of Wendy Doniger’s Portrayal of Hinduism". Retrieved 5 December 2014.
- ""Hitchhiker's Guide to 'Invading The Sacred'". Retrieved 5 December 2014.
- "Invading the Sacred". Retrieved 15 August 2010.
- Krishna Kirti Das; Gaura Keshava Das. "A Review of Invading the Sacred". Samprajna. Retrieved 15 August 2010.
- Iyengar, Bhasyam G. "Launch of 'Invading the Sacred' - A book that matters". Narthaki.com. Retrieved 15 August 2010.
- Raman, V.V. "Review". Retrieved 15 August 2010.