Inverness and Perth Junction Railway
|Inverness and Perth Junction Railway|
The Act of Parliament was passed on 22 July 1861, with the line being opened between Dunkeld and Pitlochry on 1 June 1863, between Forres and Aviemore on 3 August 1863 and the final section to Aviemore and Pitlochry on 9 September 1863.
The Aberfeldy Branch was authorised under the original Act of Parliament, being opened on 3 July 1865, just after the formation of the Highland Railway.
The Aberfeldy Branch was closed on 3 May 1965, just short of its centenary. The line between Forres and Aviemore closed on 18 October 1965.
Following closure of the section north of Aviemore, there were moves to re-open the line between Aviemore and Grantown on Spey (West). The Strathspey Railway has progressively reopened the line north from Aviemore, with the current terminus at Broomhill. They hope to reach Grantown on Spey within the next few years; however, the impressive 1897 station at Grantown on Spey (West) was demolished in the early 1980s and a new terminus will have to be built on an adjacent site.
Connections to other lines
- Inverness and Aberdeen Junction Railway at Forres
- Strathspey Railway at Boat of Garten
- Inverness and Aviemore Direct Railway at Aviemore
- Perth and Dunkeld Railway at Dunkeld and Birnam
The line is still open as part of the Highland Main Line between Dunkeld and Birnam and Aviemore operated by First ScotRail, and as part of the restored Strathspey Railway between Aviemore and Broomhill.
- Awdry, Christopher (1990). Encyclopaedia of British Railway Companies. Sparkford: Patrick Stephens Ltd. ISBN 1-8526-0049-7. OCLC 19514063.
- Butt, R. V. J. (1995). The Directory of Railway Stations: details every public and private passenger station, halt, platform and stopping place, past and present (1st ed.). Sparkford: Patrick Stephens Ltd. ISBN 1-8526-0508-1. OCLC 60251199.
- Jowett, Alan (March 1989). Jowett's Railway Atlas of Great Britain and Ireland: From Pre-Grouping to the Present Day (1st ed.). Sparkford: Patrick Stephens Ltd. ISBN 1-8526-0086-1. OCLC 22311137.
- RAILSCOT on Inverness and Perth Junction Railway
- RAILSCOT on Aberfeldy Branch of the Highland Railway