|Traded as||JSE: INL, LSE: INVP|
|Headquarters||London, United Kingdom
Sandton, South Africa
|Key people||Hugh Herman, Chairman
Stephen Koseff, CEO
Bernard Kantor, MD
|Revenue||£2,131.8 million (2013)|
|Operating income||£436.5 million (2013)|
|Net income||£320.8 million (2013)|
Investec plc (on LSE):
Investec Bank plc
Investec Bank (Australia) Ltd
Kensington Group plc
Investec Wealth and Investment Ltd
Leasedirect Finance Ltd
Investec Limited (on JSE):
Investec Bank Ltd
Investec Bank (Mauritius) Ltd
Investec Securities Ltd
Investec Asset Management Holdings (Pty) Ltd
Investec Property Ltd
Investec Bank Switzerland AG (IBSAG)
Investec is an international specialist banking and asset management group. It provides a range of financial products and services to a client base in three principal markets: the United Kingdom, South Africa and Australia. Investec is listed on the London Stock Exchange and the Johannesburg Stock Exchange. Investec is a FTSE 250 company.
Investec's South African headquarters are at 100 Grayston Drive, Sandown, Sandton.
Investec's UK headquarters are at 2 Gresham Street in Central London.
Investec's Irish headquarters are at The Harcourt Building, Harcourt Street, in Dublin.
Investec was founded as a small leasing and financing company in 1974 in Johannesburg by Larry Nestadt, Errol Grolman and Ian Kantor. It has expanded through a combination of organic growth and strategic acquisitions.
It secured a banking licence in 1980 and was first listed on the JSE Securities Exchange in South Africa in 1986, after merging with Metboard, a trust company. In 1988, Investec Bank Limited was restructured into Investec Group Limited ("IGL"), giving Investec Management and staff control of the company.
In 1990, Investec acquired property management company I. Kuper & Company (Pty) Limited, Corporate Merchant Bank Limited (formerly Hill Samuel Merchant Bank Limited) and trade finance company Reichmans Limited.
Investec entered the UK market in 1992, by acquiring London-based Allied Trust Bank Limited ('ATB'), this was the first international acquisition by the Group.
In 1998 Investec acquired Guinness Mahon, a leading London based merchant bank, and Henderson Crosthwaite, its stockbroking arm, for £95m. It also bought Hambros plc, another London based merchant bank the same year.
In 2005 Investec sold its UK Private Client Stockbroking operation, Carr Sheppards Crosthwaite Limited to Rensburg plc. Investec retains a 47.7% interest in the combined entity, Rensburg Sheppards plc.
Investec plc acquired the remaining shares in Rensburg Sheppards plc in 2010. This business has since been rebranded as Investec Wealth & Investments and incorporates other wealth activities previously operated through the Bank.
In June 2012, Investec plc completed the €32 million acquisition of Irish brokerage firm, NCB. As a result, Investec now employs more than 240 specialists in Ireland.
Investec employs approximately 6,000 people worldwide and operates primarily in South Africa, the United Kingdom, Australia and Ireland. It also has banking operations in Switzerland, Mauritius, Guernsey, Hong Kong, Jersey, Namibia, Botswana, Canada, Taiwan and the United States.
Products and divisional structure
Investec is organised as a network comprising six business divisions: Asset Management, Wealth & Investment, Property, Private Banking, Investment Banking and Capital Markets. The head office provides certain group-wide integrating functions and is also responsible for central funding and the Trade Finance business.
The main features of the DLC structure are:
- Investec plc and Investec Limited are separate legal entities and listings, but are bound together by contractual agreements and mechanisms.
- Investec plc is the holding company for the majority of the group's non-Southern African operations and Investec Limited is the holding company for the majority of the group's Southern African operations.
- Investec operates as if it is a single unified economic enterprise.
- Shareholders have common economic and voting interests as if Investec plc and Investec Limited were a single company.
- Creditors, however, are ring-fenced to either Investec plc or Investec Limited as there are no cross guarantees between the companies.
Empowerment in South Africa
Investec's approach to transformation within South Africa involves:
- Fostering the creation of new black entrepreneurial platforms
- Serving as a source of empowerment financing
- Encouraging internal transformation by bringing about greater representivity in the workplace. Investec focuses on creating black entrepreneurs within its organisation
Investec announced a ten year title sponsorship of Investec Test Match cricket for the England and Wales Cricket Board on 24 November 2011 at Lord's Cricket Ground. This sponsorship, will run until 2021 and is the longest sponsorship agreement secured in ECB’s history.
Investec is involved in a number of rugby sponsorships around the world, as they feel that "rugby embodies Investec's beliefs in collaborative teamwork, innovative play and determination and it’s for these reasons that we support many rugby initiatives".
Investec also sponsors the Investec Cape Derby in South Africa.
Investec has become the official shirt sponsor for Tottenham Hotspur's domestic cup games and UEFA Champions League games for the 2010/2011 and UEFA Europa League games for the 2011/2012 seasons. This sponsorship marked the first promotion into the football world for Investec. In 2014, Investec became the official shirt sponsor for Widnes F.C. in the North West Counties Football League Division One.
Other sponsorships include the Nelson Mandela 90th Birthday Tribute in London's Hyde Park and Russian Tennis Player Elena Dementieva for the 2008 Wimbledon tournament as well as the Australian Open in January 2009.
- "Preliminary Results 2013". Retrieved 21 March 2014.
- "About Investec". Investec.com. Retrieved 18 April 2011.
- "London Stock Exchange Prices". Londonstockexchange.com. 29 July 2002. Retrieved 18 April 2011.
- "Johannesburg Stock Exchange". Jse.co.za. Retrieved 18 April 2011.
- "London Stock Exchange Indices". Londonstockexchange.com. Retrieved 18 April 2011.
- "About Investec". Investec.co.uk. 18 November 2010. Retrieved 18 April 2011.
- "Investec History". Archived from the original on 20 October 2007. Retrieved 18 April 2011.
- "Investec History (current flash applet)". Investec.com. 30 June 2010. Retrieved 18 April 2011.
- Investec enlarges its footprint Business Times
- Investec does it the niche way in London Business Times
- About Rensburg Sheppards
- Investec buys UK's biggest sub-prime mortgage lender Daily Telegraph, 30 May 2007
- Investec's Australia move Sydney Morning Herald, 19 May 2008
- Investec buys Rensburg for £412 million Evening Standard, 30 March 2010
- Investec completes NCB takeover Daily Business Post, 12 June 2012
- "Structure and management". Investec. Retrieved 18 April 2011.
- Financial Sector Charter Report
- "Investec Test Cricket". Investec.co.uk. 31 March 2011. Retrieved 18 April 2011.
- "Why Investec sponsors the rugby". Investec.co.uk. 31 March 2011. Retrieved 18 April 2011.
- "Rugby Football Union". Clubs.rfu.com. Retrieved 18 April 2011.
- "About the Super 14". Super14.com. Retrieved 18 April 2011.
- "Investec Super 14". Investec.co.uk. 30 January 2011. Retrieved 18 April 2011.
- International Rugby Academy South Africa
- "Investec International Rugby Academy". Investec.co.za. 9 April 2010. Retrieved 18 April 2011.
- "Investec Tri Nations". Investec.com.au. 22 February 2011. Retrieved 18 April 2011.
- "Investec Tri Nations analysis – New Zealand". Allblacks.com. 28 August 2009. Retrieved 18 April 2011.
- "Epsom Downs Racecourse". Epsom Downs Racecourse. 5 June 2010. Retrieved 18 April 2011.
- "Investec Derby Official Webpage". Investec.co.uk. 22 October 2010. Retrieved 18 April 2011.
- Investec Cape Derby will be a thriller
- Tottenham Hotspur announces new shirt sponsorship with Investec
- Investec becomes the official cup shirt sponsor for Tottenham Hotspur
- Tottenham Hotspur name Investec as second shirt sponsor
- "Widnes Football Club announces new shirt sponsorship with Investec". Widnes F.C. Retrieved 2014-08-14.
- Hyde Park Concert
- Investec supports Elena Dementieva