Investment Company Institute
|Formation||1940 (As the National Committee of Investment Companies)|
|Purpose||Investment regulation and education|
|Gregory E. Johnson|
President and CEO
|Paul Schott Stevens|
|Board of governors|
|National Association of Investment Companies|
The Investment Company Institute (ICI) is the national association of U.S. investment companies (mutual funds, exchange-traded funds, closed-end funds and unit investment trusts). ICI encourages adherence to high ethical standards, promotes public understanding of funds and investing, and advances the interests of investment funds and their shareholders, directors, and advisers.
Following the stock market crashes in the 1920s and 1930s that presaged the Great Depression, Congress passed a series of acts related to financial and securities regulation. One of these, the Investment Company Act of 1940, clearly defined the responsibilities of investment companies. This same year, what would become ICI was established in New York as the National Committee of Investment Companies, an organization to aid in the administration of the act. It became the National Association of Investment Companies (NAIC) in 1941, and then the Investment Company Institute in 1961.
In 2011, ICI expanded internationally with the launch of the London-based ICI Global, which seeks to advance the common interests and promote public understanding of issues related to international funds, managers and investors, including both regulated U.S. and non-U.S. based funds publicly offered to investors worldwide.. In 2013, ICI Global expanded into Asian markets with the opening of an office in Hong Kong.
Role in regulation and education
As an association made up of U.S. investment companies, including mutual funds, closed-end funds, exchange-traded funds (ETFs), and unit investment trusts (UITs), ICI seeks to encourage adherence to high ethical standards among its members to gain public trust and confidence. It advocates for meaningful disclosure for investors from funds and provides investor education. It also provides data and commentary to the SEC to advise its regulatory process, and submits official comment letters and briefs in response to proposals around new financial regulations as well as legal decisions.
ICI’s research department includes economists and research analysts who collect and disseminate data on all types of registered investment companies; in 2012 they released more than 160 statistical reports examining various aspects of the industry. In addition, ICI aims to promote the interests of directors, stockholders and investment counselors as well as the investment funds themselves. The organization has two continuing professional education programs, a Continuing Professional Education (CPE) program for Certified Public Accountants and a Continuing Legal Education (CLE) program for attorneys.
ICI lobbies on behalf of investment companies, working closely with policymakers and regulators through outreach efforts involving economic and legal analysis, sometimes advocating directly to the public on issues important to its members. It also donates to federal candidates through its political action committee, ICI PAC, having donated $1,618,132 for the 2012 PAC cycle, with 38% going to Democrats and 62% to Republicans In 2012, the ICI spent an additional $5,065,106 on lobbying.
ICI membership is open to Securities and Exchange Commission-registered investment companies (mutual funds, closed-end funds, ETFs, and UITs), their investment advisers, and underwriters. As of June 2012, ICI membership included 8,787 mutual funds, 641 closed-end funds, 987 exchange-traded funds (ETFs), and (as of December 2012) 4,049 unit investment trust (UITs) by two UIT sponsors. Members manage assets totaling $14.7 trillion and serve almost 94 million shareholders. As of December 31, 2012, ICI Global membership consisted of 31 companies.
The ICI is run by a board of governors, responsible for setting policies and overseeing the activities of the organization. The organization’s staff is based in its offices in Washington, DC, London, and Hong Kong.
- William McNabb, Chairman - McNabb is also CEO of The Vanguard Group.
- Gregory E. Johnson, Vice Chairman - The former chairman, having served from 2011-2013, Johnson is also the president and CEO of Franklin Resources.
- Paul Schott Stevens, President and CEO - Stevens has been President and CEO of ICI since 2004, and served as the Institute's General Counsel from 1993-97. He also is a director of the ICI Mutual Insurance Company.
- Peter H. Gallary, Chief Operating Officer - Gallary was named COO in 2006, after serving as chief executive of The Boston Company Advisors, as well as the head of operations and a managing director at Putnam Investments.
- Donald C. Auerbach, Chief Government Affairs Officer & Co-Head of Government Affairs - A former member of the staff of Rep. Carolyn B. Maloney (D-NY), he joined ICI in 2004. Auerbach was named a leader of its government affairs staff in 2009.
- Kathleen C. Joaquin, Chief Industry Operations Officer - Joaquin was named to her current position in 2012, previously having served with ICI as the director of operations and distribution.
- Amy B. R. Lancellotta, Managing Director, Independent Directors Council - Before assuming this role in 2006, Lancelotta served for 17 years as a member of ICI's law department, most recently as a senior counsel.
- Karrie McMillan, General Counsel - McMillan joined ICI in 2007, having served as a partner at Willkie Farr & Gallagher LLP and Shearman & Sterling LLP, and in the SEC’s division of investment management.
- Mike McNamee, Chief Public Communications Officer - Named to his current position in 2012, McNamee first joined ICI in 2006, after serving as Deputy Washington Bureau Chief at BusinessWeek.
- Brian Reid, Chief Economist - Reid joined ICI in 1996 and was appointed chief economist in 2004.
- Dean R. Sackett III, Chief Government Affairs Officer & Co-Head of Government Affairs - Sackett joined ICI in 2000 and was appointed to his current role in 2009. He previously served on the staff of Rep. Bob Livingston (R-LA).
- Dan Waters, Managing Director, ICI Global - Waters assumed the role in 2011, having previously directed asset management policy at the United Kingdom's Financial Services Authority.
- "Wisconsin Department of Financial Institutions". Wdfi.org. Retrieved 2013-08-26.
- "Investment Company Act of 1940". Personal.psu.edu. 2012-11-27. Retrieved 2013-10-08.
- Reforming U.S. Financial Markets - Kroszner, Randall S., Shiller, Robert J. - Google Books. Books.google.com. Retrieved 2013-08-26.
- The History of Financial Planning: The Transformation of Financial Services - E. Denby Brandon, Jr., H. Oliver Welch - Google Books. Books.google.com. 2009-09-17. Retrieved 2013-08-26.
- Benjamin, Jeff (October 11, 2011). "ICI extends reach with global launch". Investment News. Retrieved 5 November 2013.
- Flood, Chris (2013-02-24). "ICI Global to open Hong Kong office". FT.com. Retrieved 2013-11-07.
- "Investment Company Institute: Private Company Information - Businessweek". Investing.businessweek.com. Retrieved 2013-10-08.
- Aven, Paula (2012-04-26). "Spark Institute, ICI update fee disclosure glossary". BenefitsPro. Retrieved 2013-10-28.
- "About". Iifaneworleans2013.org. Retrieved 2013-10-08.
- "General Counsel Testifies on 401(k) Plan Disclosure at ERISA Hearing, September 2004". ICI. Retrieved 2013-08-26.
- "Investment Company Institute |". Thetrustadvisor.com. Retrieved 2013-08-26.
- "Regulation in a Global Financial System". SEC.gov. Retrieved 2013-11-07.
- "Comment Letters". ICI. Retrieved 2013-11-07.
- "2013 Investment Company Fact Book". Icifactbook.org. Retrieved 2013-11-07.
- "What Is the Investment Company Institute?". Wisegeek.net. Retrieved 2013-08-26.
- "Continuing Professional and Legal Education (CPE and CLE)". ICI. Retrieved 2013-08-26.
- "Other Links". Cffp.edu. Retrieved 2013-08-26.
- "Investment Co Institute Summary". OpenSecrets. Retrieved 2013-08-26.
- "Investment Co Institute: Summary". OpenSecrets. Retrieved 2013-08-26.
- "Criteria for Membership". ICI. Retrieved 2013-08-26.
- "2012 Annual Report to Members" (PDF). ICI. Retrieved 2013-09-11.
- "2013 Investment Company Fact Book". Icifactbook.org. Retrieved 2013-08-26.
- "ICI Global 2012 Annual Report To Members" (PDF). ICI Global. 2012. Retrieved 5 November 2013.
- "Board & Leadership". ICI. Retrieved 2013-08-26.
- "Notes from the May 2013 Investment Company Institute General Membership Conference - SwanDog Strategic Marketing, LLC". Swandog.com. Retrieved 2013-11-12.
- Andrus, Danielle (2013-10-03). "Vanguard CEO to Chair ICI Board of Governors". Thinkadvisor.com. Retrieved 2013-10-28.
- "Board & Leadership". ICI. Retrieved 2013-10-28.
- "President & CEO Gregory E. Johnson Named Chairman of Franklin Resources, Inc., Replacing Charles B. Johnson". MarketWatch. Retrieved 2013-08-26.
- "Paul Schott Stevens, President and CEO, Investment Company Institute" (PDF). SEC. 2012. Retrieved 2013-08-26.
- "ICI taps Gallary as new COO". InvestmentNews. Oct 9, 2006. Retrieved 2013-08-26.
- "ICI Names Co-Heads of Government Affairs". Mmexecutive.com. 2009-03-16. Retrieved 2013-08-26.
- "ICI's Joaquin Named Chief of Operations Staff - 2012/03/08 - BNA Securities Law Daily". Alacrastore.com. 2012-03-08. Retrieved 2013-08-26.
- "Faculty Profile - Amy Lancellotta". Pli.edu. Retrieved 2013-08-26.
- "Industry Insights: Q&A with Karrie McMillan, General Counsel, Investment Company Institute" (PDF). SEI. 2012. Retrieved 2013-08-26.
- Tran, Hung (2012-10-12). "ICI Names Ex Journo Chief Flack". Mmexecutive.com. Retrieved 2013-08-26.
- "Brian Reid". Bloomberg Link. 2004-12-31. Retrieved 2013-08-26.
- "Dean Sackett Leader Profile: Leader Networks & Work Profile". Workmob.com. Retrieved 2013-08-26.
- "MutualFundWire.com: ICI Debuts a New Trade Group". Mfwire.com. 2011-10-10. Retrieved 2013-08-26.