Galkynysh Gas Field
|Galkynysh Gas Field|
|Estimated gas in place||14,000×109 m3 (490×1012 cu ft)|
|Recoverable gas||2,800×109 m3 (99×1012 cu ft)|
The Galkynysh Gas Field, formerly known as Iolotan gas field or South Yolotan – Osman field, is a large natural gas field near Ýolöten in Mary Province of Turkmenistan. It is the world's second-largest gas field.
The discovery of the gas field was announced on 2 November 2006. Late Turkmen president Saparmurat Niyazov invited Chinese CNPC and Turkish Çalik Enerji to participate in the exploration and development of the Ýolöten field. In 2008, the gas field was audited by Gaffney, Cline & Associates. According to Gaffney, Cline and Associates (GCA), Galkynysh is five times larger than the Dauletabad gas field and fourth- or fifth-largest gas field in the world.
The gas field ranks among the world's five largest with estimated reserves of between 4 and 14 trillion cubic metres (140×1012 and 490×1012 cu ft) of natural gas and proven commercial reserves of 2.8 trillion cubic metres (99×1012 cu ft). It lies on 2,700 square kilometres (1,000 sq mi) zone of 90 kilometres (56 mi) in length and 30 kilometres (19 mi) in width in the depth of 3,900 to 5,100 metres (12,800 to 16,700 ft). Galkynysh consist of Iolotan, Minara, Osman and Yashlar fields. Other nearby gas areas are Gunorta Garakel, Garakel, Giurgiu, Gazanly, Gundogar Eloten and Gunbatar Yandakly.
Oil reserves are 300 million tons. The crude oil extracted at Galkynysh is transported to the Seýdi Oil Refinery.
- http://www.economist.com/news/asia/21586304-vast-region-chinas-economic-clout-more-match-russias-rising-china-sinking China in Central Asia: Rising China, sinking Russia
- "Turkmen leader claims massive new gas find". Reuters. 2006-11-02. Retrieved 2009-07-16.
- "Turkmenistan gives CNPC $152 mln gas drilling deal". Reuters. 2006-11-21. Retrieved 2009-07-16.
- Olzhas Auyezov (2008-10-31). "Turkmen gas reserves audit to continue in 2009 -GCA". Reuters. Retrieved 2009-05-12.
- Guy Chazan (2008-10-16). "Turkmenistan Gas Field Is One of World's Largest". The Wall Street Journal. Retrieved 2009-07-16.
- Bruce Pannier (2008-10-14). "Independent Audit Shows Turkmen Gas Field 'World-Class'". Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty. Retrieved 2010-01-07.
- Dmitry Sergeyev; Robin Paxton (2009-12-29). "S.Korea, China, UAE win Turkmen gas deal - sources". Reuters. Retrieved 2010-01-23.
- "Turkmenistan's super-giant gas field renamed as "Galkynysh"". Turkmenistan.ru. 2011-11-20. Retrieved 2013-03-25.
- Gurt, Marat (2013-09-04). "China asserts clout in Central Asia with huge Turkmen gas project". Reuters. Retrieved 2014-11-07.
- Daly, J.C.K (2009-02-21). "Iran in Turkmen natural gas fields, U.S. and Russia left out". Tehran Times. Retrieved 2009-07-16.
- "Turkmenistan discovers large gas fields in east of country". Trend Capital. 2009-06-26. Retrieved 2009-07-16.