Iowa Central Community College
|Iowa Central Community College|
|Location||Fort Dodge, Iowa, USA|
|Campus||Town, remote from an urban area|
|Colors||Navy and White|
Iowa Central Community College is a community college located in Fort Dodge, Iowa, United States, with satellite campuses in Webster City and Storm Lake. Iowa Central Community College was organized in 1966 with a broad mandate to offer a vast array of educational opportunities to the residents of its nine-county area. Iowa Central was built on the firm foundation of three area junior colleges which had been operating since the 1920s by the local public school systems.
They were Fort Dodge, organized in 1921; Webster City, 1926; and Eagle Grove, 1928. Iowa Central came into being as a result of the Area School Act passed by Iowa's 61st General Assembly. The legislation authorized two or more county school systems to merge to form an area community college. Nine counties combined to create Iowa Central: Buena Vista, Calhoun, Greene, Hamilton, Humboldt, Pocahontas, Sac, Webster and Wright. The resulting Merged Area V has some 28,000 students in 31 public school districts. In 1971, a fourth center was added with the completion of a new building in Storm Lake. The Storm Lake Center originally was established to serve 12 public and private school systems in Buena Vista County as a secondary career education center. In the ensuing years, the Storm Lake Center has been expanded so that now it offers the full range of community college programs.
In 1975, Iowa Central joined with Buena Vista College in Storm Lake in a cooperative venture whereby students can earn a bachelor's degree attending evening classes. The students' first two years are completed at Iowa Central and the final two years at Buena Vista at the Fort Dodge Center.
Iowa Central Community College promotes intellectual discovery, physical development, social and ethical awareness, and economic opportunities for all through an education that transforms lives, strengthens community, and inspires progress.
- Daryl Beall, Iowa Senator
- Jon Jones, national wrestling JUCO champion; current UFC light heavyweight champion, #1 pound-for-pound MMA fighter in the world
- Drew McFedries, professional mixed martial arts fighter
- Joe Soto, 2-time NJCAA All-American wrestler (2006, 2007); current MMA fighter, former Bellator MMA featherweight champion
- Amari Spievey, NFL cornerback for the Detroit Lions
- Troy Stedman, former outside linebacker for the Kansas City Chiefs
- Cain Velasquez, NJCAA National Wrestling Champion (285 lb); MMA fighter; current UFC heavyweight champion
- Iowa Central Community College
- Iowa Central Community College Online
- Iowa Central Community College Athletics
|This Iowa-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|