Iowa Highway 13
|Maintained by Iowa DOT|
|Length:||85.235 mi (137.172 km)|
|Existed:||1920 – present|
|South end:||US 30 / US 151 near Bertram|
|US 20 in Manchester|
|North end:||US 52 near Monona|
|Counties:||Linn, Delaware, Clayton|
Iowa Highway 13 (Iowa 13) is a north–south highway in eastern Iowa. It has a length of 85 1⁄4 miles (137 km). The southern terminus of Iowa Highway 13 is at U.S. Route 30 (US 30) south of Bertram and southeast of Cedar Rapids. The northern terminus is at US 52 in rural Clayton County near the towns of Monona and Farmersburg near the intersection of US 52 and US 18.
Iowa Highway 13 begins at U.S. 30 southeast of Cedar Rapids in an overlap with US 151 at a freeway interchange just east of the Cedar River. They go north as a divided highway through Bertram. They intersect Iowa Highway 100 at Marion and then separates from U.S. 151 in Marion as well. It continues north from Marion to Central City, where the divided highway ends. It goes north to Coggon, then turns east briefly before turning north again to go through Ryan. After passing through Ryan, it goes north to Manchester, where it intersects US 20. It continues north through Manchester and intersects Iowa 3. It overlaps Iowa 3 and goes northwest into Strawberry Point, where they separate. Iowa 13 then turns northeast and intersects Iowa 56 southwest of Elkader. After running along the eastern edge of Elkader, it then intersects Iowa 128. It then continues northeast and ends at US 52 near Farmersburg.
Primary Road No. 13 was one of the original routes of the primary highway system, which was formed in 1920. Its original extent was statewide, starting at the Missouri state line south of Bloomfield and ending at the Minnesota state line north of Waukon. When the U.S. Highway System came around in 1926, Primary Road No. 13 was shortened significantly. The southernmost part of the route became US 63, between Ottumwa and Homestead, the route was replaced by Iowa 149, and from Homestead to Cedar Rapids, it was replaced by Iowa 150.
The route stayed more or less the same until it was shortened again in 1969. The northernmost section of road, from McGregor to Minnesota, was renumbered to Iowa 76 to match the numbered route it became after crossing into Minnesota. Between Froelich and McGregor, Iowa 13 overlapped US 18 and US 52. Since 1969, the routing of Iowa 13 has not changed.
||Bertram||0.000||0.000||US 30 / US 151 south||South end of US 151 overlap|
|Marion||6.622||10.657||Iowa 100 west (Collins Road)|
US 151 north (Dubuque Road) / US 151 Bus. south (10th Avenue)
|North end of US 151 overlap|
|Edgewood||56.858||91.504||Iowa 3 east||South end of IA 3 overlap|
||Strawberry Point||58.985||94.927||Iowa 3 west (Mission Street)||North end of IA 3 overlap|
|Elkader||72.884||117.295||Iowa 56 west (Strawberry Point Road)|
|76.404||122.960||Iowa 128 east|
|1.000 mi = 1.609 km; 1.000 km = 0.621 mi
- Rand McNally (1921). Official Auto Trails Map (Map). 1:1,081,344. p. 330-331.
- "2011 Volume of Traffic on the Primary Road System of Iowa" (PDF). Iowa Department of Transportation. January 1, 2011. Retrieved January 14, 2011.
- Iowa Department of Transportation (2011). Transportation Map (Map). http://www.iowadotmaps.com/msp/pdf/current/stmapmain.pdf. Retrieved May 19, 2011.
- Iowa State Highway Commission (October–November–December 1925). Service Bulletin. Nos. 10-11-12. Volume XIII. pp. 7, 9.
- Iowa State Highway Commission (1968). Iowa State Highway Map (Map). http://www.iowadotmaps.com/msp/historical/pdf/1968_front.pdf. Retrieved May 19, 2011.
- Iowa State Highway Commission (1969). Iowa State Highway Map (Map). http://www.iowadotmaps.com/msp/historical/pdf/1969_front.pdf. Retrieved May 19, 2011.