Iowa Highway 148
|Maintained by Iowa DOT|
|Length:||66.828 mi (107.549 km)|
|South end:||Route 148 near Hopkins, Missouri|
|US 34 at Corning|
|North end:||I-80 / US 6 near Anita|
|Counties:||Taylor, Adams, Cass|
Iowa Highway 148 (Iowa 148) is a highway which runs in a north–south direction in southwestern Iowa. It has a length of 67 miles (108 km). The southern end of Iowa Highway 148 is at the Missouri border southwest of Bedford and just northeast of Hopkins, Missouri. The highway continues south into Missouri as Missouri Route 148. The northern end of Iowa 148 is at Interstate 80 (I-80) and U.S. Route 6 (US 6) north of Anita.
Iowa 148 begins as a continuation of Route 148 northeast of Hopkins, Missouri. Between Hopkins and Bedford, the highway heads northeast, running parallel to the east fork of the One Hundred and Two River. At Bedford, the river goes east around the city while the highway turns north into town. For one-quarter mile, Iowa 148 overlaps Iowa 2, from Madison Street to Bent Street.
The route heads due north from Bedford, but jogs to the west near Lake of Three Fires State Park, but returns to a due-north course near Gravity. The highway then travels 15 1⁄2 miles (24.9 km) to an intersection with US 34 at Corning. The highway goes through the eastern side of Corning, wrapping around its north side, and then bearing west again before straightening out to the north. Passing through rural Adams and Cass Counties, Iowa 148 does not pass near another town for 20 miles (32 km), when it intersects Iowa 92 east of Massena.
Iowa 148 continues north from Massena, heading due north through the rolling farmland of Cass County for 12 miles (19 km) until it reaches Anita. At Anita, the route curves into town along Michigan Street and crosses the Iowa Interstate Railroad right before it meets Main Street, the corner of Main and Michigan represents the eastern end of Iowa 83. Iowa 148 briefly turns onto Main Street, heading northeast, and then turns back due north. Four miles (6.4 km) north of Anita, Iowa 148 ends at exit 70 along I-80 / US 6.
Portions of Iowa 148 have been in Iowa's Primary Highway System since its inception in 1920. The section between Bedford and Corning was part of Primary Road No. 16, most of that route was replaced by US 169 upon its designation in 1930. By 1947, Iowa 148 had been designated from the Missouri state line to Anita. When US 6 was relocated onto I-80 between the Atlantic and Adair exits in 1972, Iowa 148 was extended north to its present day end at I-80.
|Taylor||Ross Township||0.000||0.000||Route 148|
|Bedford||8.520||13.712||Iowa 2 east (Pollack Boulevard)||South end of Iowa 2 overlap|
|8.743||14.070||Iowa 2 west (Pollack Boulevard)||North end of Iowa 2 overlap|
|Anita||62.959||101.323||Iowa 83 west (Main Street)|
|66.828||107.549||I-80 / US 6|
|1.000 mi = 1.609 km; 1.000 km = 0.621 mi
- "2011 Volume of Traffic on the Primary Road System of Iowa" (PDF). Iowa Department of Transportation. January 1, 2011. Retrieved November 20, 2010.
- Iowa Department of Transportation (2010). Transportation Map (Map). http://www.iowadotmaps.com/msp/pdf/current/stmapmain.pdf. Retrieved January 17, 2011.
- Iowa Department of Transportation (June 23, 2008). Highway and Street Map of Anita, Iowa (Map). http://www.iowadotmaps.com/msp/citypdf/Anita_ci.pdf. Retrieved January 17, 2011.
- Rand McNally (1921). Official Auto Trails Map (Map). 1:1,081,344. p. 330-331.
- Rand McNally (1947). Road and Reference Atlas (Map). 1:1,077,120. pp. 42–43.
- Iowa State Highway Commission (1973). Iowa State Highway Map (Map). http://www.iowadotmaps.com/msp/historical/pdf/1973_front.pdf. Retrieved January 17, 2011.