|Type||Privately Held Company|
|Headquarters||Cambourne, Cambridge, United Kingdom|
|Key people||Teresa M. Vega, Chairman
Simon Brown, CEO
ip.access Limited is a multinational corporation that designs, manufactures, and markets small cells (picocell and femtocell) technologies and infrastructure equipment for GSM, GPRS, EDGE, 3G and LTE. The firm has headquarters in Cambourne, England, the company also maintains operations and offices in Bellevue, WA, USA, and Gurgaon and Pune, India.
ip.access combines IP and cellular technologies together to provide 2G, 3G and LTE coverage and for mobile networks .Using satellite backhaul, its products provide coverage to commercial passenger aircraft, ships, and users in remote rural areas.
The firm is a member of 3GPP, the Cambridge Network, European Telecommunications Standards Institute (ETSI), Femto Forum, and an associate member of the Network Vendors Interoperability Testing (NVIOT) Forum.
ip.access was founded in December 1999 as a wholly owned subsidiary of TTP Group PLC aimed at developing technologies that would allow multiple radio access technologies to communicate over the Internet. To accommodate its growing staff, in 2006 ip.access relocated to new offices in Cambourne Business Park, Cambridge, where it remains.
In October 2000, TTP Group spun off its communications division (TTP Communications, or TTPCom) in an initial public offering on the London Stock Exchange, and ip.access joined the spin-off as a wholly owned subsidiary of the TTPCom group.
In March 2006, the company secured an £8.5 million round of funding from Intel Capital, Scottish Equity Partners, and Rothschild & Cie Gestion. As part of its June 2006 acquisition of TTP Communications, Motorola also gained a stake in ip.access. In 2007, after signing an OEM agreement with ip.access, ADC (now part of Tyco Electronics) made a minority interest investment in the company. Following suit, both Cisco Systems and Qualcomm made strategic financial investments in the company in 2008.
In July 2007, the firm became a founding member of the Femto Forum, renamed Small Cell Forum in February 2012,. ip.access was named in The Sunday Times Fast Tech Track 100 in both 2007 and 2008. The company was also cited as the number one picocell vendor by global market intelligence company, ABI Research in 2008.
In 2009, it was named in the Deloitte Technology Fast 500 EMEA. In April 2009, the company announced its Oyster 3G product would support femtocell standards published by 3GPP and the Broadband Forum. In March 2010, the company took part in the first Plugfest, organized by ETSI as part of its Plugtests program, held to demonstrate the effectiveness of the 3GPP femtocell standards in supporting interoperability between femtocell access points and network equipment from different vendors.
In June 2011, the market research and analysis firm Infonetics named the company, along with its partner Cisco Systems, as the leading supplier of 3G femtocells. In August 2011, the firm announced it had made over 500,000 installations of its 3G technologies . In February 2013, the firm announced t it had become the first 3G small cell provider to ship one million residential units. In the same month, ip.access and iDirect completed successful interopability test of 3G small cells over IP Satellite.
The telecommunications firms AT&T which uses Oyster 3G as the core femtocell technology for its 3G MicroCell product. Cisco Systems, has jointly developed a femtocell solution with ip.access in compliance with the Broadband Forum's TR-069 technical specification.
In 2002, ip.access introduced the world’s first IP basestation controller for indoor GSM networks. nanoGSM uses 2G picocells that leverage the standard GSM air interface, full IP-based BSC, and an OMC-R management system that delivers voice, messaging and data to both 2G and 3G handsets at an indoor range of up to 200m.
nano3G is an end-to-end Femtocell system with access points for Enterprise, E-class [E8, E16 and E24] and Small Medium Business, S-class [S8], access controller and element management system, providing carrier-class coverage to commercial and consumer users.
Oyster 3G Technology
Launched at the 2007 3GSM World Congress in Barcelona, Spain, the Oyster 3G is ip.access' core 3G femtocell technology used by system integrators and OEM customers to integrate WCDMA femtocells into home gateways, set-top boxes, and other devices.
Customers and Partners
Among ip.access' major customers are AT&T, Bharti Airtel, Blue Ocean Wireless, Bouygues Telecom, Monaco Telecom, SFR, SPIE SA, T-Mobile, Tele2, Telefónica O2 Czech Republic, and Telia Sonera.
The company's technology partners include AeroMobile, Altobridge, Blue Ocean Wireless, Cisco Systems, Private Mobile Networks, Qualcomm, Quortus, Setcom, and TriaGnoSys.
Corporate, product, and personnel awards won by ip.access include the following:
- Light Reading Leading Lights Awards - Best New Product (Private Company)
- Global Mobile Awards - Best Radio Access Product or Service
- The Sunday Times Fast Tech Track 100
- World Communications Award - Best Technology Foresight
- The Sunday Times Fast Tech Track 100
- Deloitte Fast 500 EMEA
- Femto Forum Awards - Femtocell or Femtocell Network Element Design and Technology Innovation
- Femto Forum Awards - Femtocell Service (Commercial, Prototype, or Demo)
- Global Telecoms Business Innovation Awards - Maritime Voice Services
- Femto Forum Awards - Femtocell Network Element Design and Technology Innovation
- World Vendor Awards - Small Cell Award
- Small Cell Forum Industry Awards - Judges Choice Award
- Small Cell Forum Industry Awards - Social Vision, promoting Small Cells for Social / Economical / Environmental development
- "ip.access and Altobridge Collaborate to Provide GSM ‘Sky/Sea Phone’ Services" (Press release). ip.access. February 2, 2009. Retrieved June 2, 2011.
- Mobiles Connect Across the Waves, BBC News, February 2, 2009.
- 3GPP Membership, 3GPP. Retrieved June 14, 2011.
- ip.access Organization Profile, Cambridge Network. Retrieved June 14, 2011.
- ETSI Member Information, ETSI. Retrieved June 14, 2011.
- Femto Forum Members Listing, and Femto Forum. Retrieved June 2, 2011.
- NVIOT Forum Members, Network Vendors Interoperability Testing Forum. Retrieved June 2, 2011.
- "About TTP". TTP Group. Retrieved June 2, 2011.
- "ip.access Moves to New Offices to Support Growth" (Press release). ip.access. September 15, 2005. Retrieved June 3, 2011.
- "ip.access Secures £8.5 million Funding to Accelerate Growth in Cost-Effective Cellular Infrastructure for Homes and Businesses" (Press release). ip.access. March 13, 2006. Retrieved June 3, 2011.
- Motorola gobbles up TTPcom, The Register, June 7, 2006.
- Cheung, Ken. ADC Makes Investment in ip.access, EDAGeek, July 30, 2007.
- "Cisco Makes Strategic Investment in ip.access" (Press release). Cisco Systems. January 23, 2008. Retrieved June 2, 2011.
- Higginbotham, Stacey. Qualcomm Backs Femtocell Maker, ip.access, GigaOM, May 21, 2008.
- "Femto Forum Becomes Small Cell Forum as Femtocell Technology Extends Beyond the Home" (Press release). Small Cell Forum. February 15, 2012. Retrieved August 19, 2013.
- "ip.access Joins Board of the Femto Forum - A New Body to Promote Femtocell Standardisation and Deployment" (Press release). ip.access. July 6, 2007. Retrieved June 8, 2011.
- 2007 Tech Track 100 League Table - UK, The Sunday Times Fast Tech Track 100. Retrieved June 8, 2011.
- 2008 Tech Track 100 League Table - UK, The Sunday Times Fast Tech Track 100. Retrieved June 8, 2011.
- Picocell Equipment Vendor Matrix, ABI Research. Retrieved June 9, 2011.
- 2009 Winners, Deloitte. Retrieved June 8, 2011.
- Bhushan, Amarendra. ip.access Demonstrates Progress on Femtocell Standards, CEOWorld Magazine, April 07, 2009.
- "Femto Forum Completes World's First Femtocell Plugfest" (Press release). Femto Forum. March 30, 2010. Retrieved June 30, 2011.
- Webb, Richard. Samsung, Cisco/ip.access Lead Nascent Femtocell Market, Set to Hit $300 Million in 2011, Infonetics Research, June 16, 2011.
- Donegan, Michelle. UK Femto Firm Fired Up for Growth, Light Reading, August 16, 2011.
- Business Weekly. , ip.access rides small cell wave to 1m milestone, February 18, 2011.
- iDirect. , iDirect and ip.access Complete Successful Interoperability Test Of 3G Small-Cell Infrastructure And IP Satellite Technology, February 21, 2011.
- Saabedra, Humberto. AT&T to Deploy Femtocell Technology from UK Firm ip.access, Phone News, May 1, 2008.
- David Chambers. "ATT Wireless". Think Femtocell. Retrieved June 2, 2011.
- Donegan, Michelle. Cisco, ip.access Prep Femto Combo, Light Reading Mobile, May 13, 2008.
- Ip.access Goes Indoors, Light Reading Mobile, December 3, 2002.
- Weaver, Pamela. Femtocells Grow Into the Enterprise Space, Telecoms.com, February 15, 2011.
- Lennighan, Mary. Femtocells Key for Mobile Operators - Vendors, Total Telecom, February 12, 2007.
- Shukla, Anuradha. Bharti Airtel Deploys ip.access NanoGSM Picocell in India, TMCNet.com, September 16, 2010.
- Bouygues Picks ip.access, Light Reading Mobile, February 15, 2010.
- ip.access Revs Up Coverage for Monaco Telecom, EDN Magazine, May 21, 2009.
- ip.access, SFR Business Team and SPIE Collaborate to Bring Picocells to French Market, TMCNet.com, February 3, 2009.
- IP.access Builds Up T-Mobile , Telecommunications Insight, September 2009.
- Tele2 Picks ip.access for Picocells, Light Reading Mobile, October 23, 2003.
- "ip.access Signs Contract with Czech Operator Telefónica O2 to Enhance GSM In-Building Coverage" (Press release). ip.access. February 10, 2005. Retrieved June 8, 2011.
- TeliaSonera Picks ip.access, Light Reading Mobile, January 30, 2008.
- "Femtocell and Picocell Solutions from our partners". ip.access. Retrieved June 2, 2011.
- AeroMobile Flies with ip.access, Light Reading Mobile, April 6, 2005.
- ip.access and Altobridge to Develop GSM Solutions for Ships and Planes, Telecom Paper, October 13, 2003.
- Picocelling Marine Mobile Are ip.access + Blue Ocean Wireless, SatNews, February 2, 2009.
- Teleware plc Selects ip.access as Picocell Supplier for Private Mobile Networks, Mobile Comms Technology, June 12, 2007.
- Wilson, Dean. Qualcomm, ip.access Sign Femtocell Partnership, TechEye.net, September 03, 2010.
- Harris, Jan. 3G Femtocell Developer Kit Available From ip.access, TechWatch, February 05, 2010.
- Aroso, TriaGnoSys Offer GSM Services for Brazilian Operators, Telecom Paper, October 22, 2010.
- Le Maistre, Ray. LR Names 2007 Leading Lights Winners, Light Reading, October 16, 2007.
- "GSM Association Announces 2007 Global Mobile Awards Winners" (Press release). GSM Association. February 13, 2007. Retrieved June 15, 2011.
- "2007 World Communication Awards Winners". Terrapinn Holdings ltd. Retrieved June 15, 2011.
- "Femto Forum Femtocell Awards 2009". Femto Forum. Retrieved June 16, 2011.
- "GTB Innovation Awards: Wireless Network Infrastructure". Global Telecoms Business. Retrieved June 16, 2011.
- Mallinson Makes Telecoms Power List, Business Weekly, September 29, 2010.
- "World Vendor Awards 2010". Terrapinn Holdings ltd. Retrieved June 16, 2011.
- "2011 Winners". Femto Forum. Retrieved June 30, 2011.
- "WVA 2012 Winners". Terrapinn. Retrieved April 26, 2012.
- "Industry Forum Awards Announced 2012". Small Cell Forum. Retrieved June 28, 2012.
- "Industry Forum Awards Announced 2013". Small Cell Forum. Retrieved June 5, 2013.