Ira (// or //) is a male and female given name. In Hebrew, the name Ira (עִירָא, Standard Hebrew ʿIra, Tiberian Hebrew ʿÎrâ) means watchful. In Sanskrit, Ira (ईरा) is the name of the wind-god who is father of the monkey god Hanuman. Ira (इरा) is the daughter of Daksha who was married to the sage Kashyap. Ira is also another name for the goddess Sarasvati. Ira is also another name for Earth in Sanskrit
Ira is also a nickname for Ireneo, Irenej, Ireneus, and Irinij.
- Ira Aldridge (1807–1867), U.S. stage actor
- Ira Allen (1751–1814), one of the founders of Vermont
- Ira Angustain (b. 1958), U.S. actor
- Ira Aten (1862-1953), Texas Ranger
- Ira Babcock (c. 1808–1888), American pioneer
- Ira Baldwin (1895–1999), founder of the Wisconsin Academy Foundation
- Ira Basen, Canadian radio producer
- Ira Coleman Batman (1862–1934), U.S. jurist and politician
- Ira Berkow (b. 1940), Pulitzer Prize-winning sports reporter
- Ira Berlin (b. 1941), American historian
- Ira Bowman (b. 1973), American professional basketball player
- Ira Byock, physician and author
- Ira Condict (1764–1811), third President of Queen's College
- Ira Clifton Copley (1864–1947), U.S. politician and newspaper publisher
- Ira Drukier, American hotelier and philanthropist from New York City.
- Ira C. Eaker (1896–1987), general of the United States Army Air Forces
- Ira Allen Eastman (1809-1881), U.S. Representative from New Hampshire
- Ira Elliot, drummer for the band Nada Surf
- Ira Flatow, U.S. journalist
- Ira A. Fulton (b. 1931), U.S. businessman
- Ira Fuchs, U.S. founder of BITNET
- Ira Gershwin, lyricist and brother of composer George Gershwin
- Ira Glass, U.S. radio personality
- Ira B. Harkey Jr. (1918–2006), Pulitzer Prize–winning author
- Ira Hayes, U.S. Marine, immortalized in the iconic photograph of the flag raising on Iwo Jima
- Ira B. Hyde (1838–1926), Republican representative from Missouri, USA
- Ira H. Abbott (1906-1988), Assistant Director and Director of Aeronautical and Space Research, NACA and then NASA
- Ira Kaplan, U.S. musician, singer and guitarist for Yo La Tengo
- Ira Levin, U.S. novelist
- Ira C. Owens (b. 1936), Lieutenant General of the United States Army
- Ira Sankey, American gospel singer and composer, associated with evangelist Dwight L. Moody
- Ira Sharkansky (b. 1938), professor emeritus of political science at Hebrew University of Jerusalem
- Ira Shor, American academic working in critical pedagogy
- Ira D. Sankey, Music composer, singer and member of the team of D L Moody the evangelist
- Ira is a goddess in Polynesian mythology.
- Ira is another name for Vayu, the Hindu wind god in Hindu mythology.
- Ira is another name for Saraswati, the goddess of knowledge in Hindu mythology.
- Ira Goldstein, character in ASB Bank advertisements
- Ayra, a fictional character from Nintendo's Fire Emblem series, known in Japan as "Aira"
- Ira Buchman, a character in the US television series Mad About You
- Ira Wright, a character from director Judd Apatow's "Funny People." Funny People at the Internet Movie Database
- Ira Gaines, the main antagonist of the first act of 24 (Season 1) of 24 (tv series)