Ira Shor is a professor at the City University of New York, where he teaches composition and rhetoric. In collaboration with Paulo Freire, he has been one of the leading exponents of critical pedagogy.
Shor grew up in the working class area in the South Bronx of New York City. According to Shor coming from a working class area had a powerful influence on his thinking, politics and feelings.
- Critical Teaching and Everyday Life (1980)
- Culture Wars: School and Society in the Conservative Restoration (1986)
- A Pedagogy for Liberation, with Paulo Freire (1987)
- Freire for the Classroom: A Sourcebook for Liberatory Teaching (1987)
- Empowering Education (1992)
- When Students Have Power (1996)
- Critical Literacy in Action (1999)
- Education is Politics (1999)
- Shor, Ira. When Students have Power: Negotiating Authority in a Critical Pedagogy. Chicago: U Chicago Press, 1996.