|Birth name||Irakly Shanidze|
October 18, 1968 |
|Training||Moscow State University|
Irakly Shanidze was born in Tbilisi in 1968. He was graduated from the Chemistry Department Moscow State University with MS in Chemical Enzymology. In 1993, he moved to Detroit, Michigan, USA, where he pursued PhD in Pharmacology/Molecular Biology at Wayne State University and then MPH/MHSA in University of Michigan, School of Public Health. Concurrently he studied at New York Institute of Photography and was graduated in 2000.
Photography became a part of Irakly's life at the age of 12 after he received a pre-war Reflex Korelle from his grandfather as a gift. While studying at Moscow State University he contributed to the University newspaper "Вестник Московского Университета". When on a military duty (1987–1989), Irakly held a position of a staff photojournalist at a regional military newspaper "Слава Родины".
In 2000, Irakly opened a photo studio in Detroit, USA. In 2004, he partnered with Pavel Kiselev to open International Academy of Photographic Arts. In 2004-2007, he was commissioned by a mime theater "Лицедеи"
Irakly Shanidze's fine art work has found a place in permanent collections of Fotoloft Gallery, Moscow, River Edge Gallery, Wyandotte, Michigan. His photos have been shown at the State Exhibition Center Manezh, St. Petersburg, The Museum Of Russian Art (MORA)
Irakly's photography features multiple unusual techniques that he himself invented, or perfected.He creates his Images with minimal, or no digital post-production by employing mirrors, subversive lighting setups, etc.
He is one of the few photographers in the world who relies exclusively on Leica M camera equipment for his advertising work.
Professional projects in the field of Advertising Photography vary between the ‘straight’ (though rarely totally so) style of well-lit and executed studio work and the intricate application to commercial purposes of his subversive and symbolic style, sometimes involving complex pseudo-real setups intended to imbue the product with the spontaneity and style of street life. His recent collection of images created for Japan Tobacco International as a symbolic representation of their brand “Sobranie” showcases the latter.
Much of his personal work is most tidily described as ‘street’ though it is in fact rather different from classical street photography in that he places greater emphasis on the imagined and the surreal. Whether it is a series of images in which strangers on the subway gradually emerge as spies, or individual images in which found scenes take on allegorical overtones as a result of the manner in which their elements are juxtaposed, nothing in Shanidze’s work is ever what it immediately seems. Whether subtly mocking a classical painting or using strongly symbolic elements, Shanidze invites the viewer to subvert his own views of the real in the process of decoding the surreal.
At the time of writing Shanidze has exhibited his work in more that twenty personal and group shows in the USA, Canada and Russia. He has published more than a hundred photographs and numerous articles in American and Russian magazines and web sites. He is a founder of the International Academy of Photographic Arts, and a visiting professor at Moscow Academy of Photography where he actively teaches the artistic side of photography online. He also holds seminars and workshops across the US and Europe.
Currently Irakly Shanidze resides near Detroit, Michigan, USA.
||This section of a biography of a living person does not include any references or sources. (January 2012)|
Shanidze participated at more than twenty personal and collective exhibitions, in several countries (USA, Canada, Russia, Finland, Portugal, etc.).
- Dirty Show Detroit; special quest artist, 2'2011  
- River Edge Gallery, Wyandotte MI USA, 1 '2011 
- PhotoVoice Auction 2011 Preview Exhibition 11 2011 PhotoVoice Auction 2011 Preview Exhibition lot 65
- Personal exhibition, Acacao, St. Petersburg, Russia, 11'2010
- Fotoloft jointly with Art Moscow, Moscow, Russia; personal show, 9-10'2010 
- Embassy of the Ukraine, Tokyo, Japan, 5-8'2010
- PHOTO EXHIBITION TO BENEFIT THE MUSEUM OF RUSSIAN ART (MORA) July 20–30, 2010   
- Personal exhibition, Leica Center "Яркий мир", St. Petersburg, Russia; 5'2010 
- Rituals Around The World. Manezh Exhibition Hall, St. Petersburg, Russia, 8'2009
- LFI Magazine, Leica Story permanent collection, 5'2009 
- Free Range Photo; 9'2008 
- International Photo Festival in Estremos, Portugal; curator, 9'2008
- Fotoloft, Moscow, Russia; featured artist for the first issue of Portfolio Magazine, 6'2008 
- Dirty Show Detroit; special quest artist, 2'2008  
- Fotoloft, Moscow, Russia; permanent collection 11'2007 
- Univers d'Artistes; featured artist, 11'2007 
- International Photofestival in Estremoz, Portugal; principal artist 11'2007
- Severance Gallery, Detroit 7'2007
- Festival of Contemporary Photography, Centre of Contemporary Art "Vinzavod", *Moscow; featured artist, 5'2007 
- Panhorama Gallery, Tempere, Finland; personal show 5'2007   
- Chaplin Club, St. Petersburg, Russia; show "Fine Play" 10'2003 
- Michael Mullan's Gallery, London ON Canada; group show 8'2003
- Royal Oak Main Theater, Royal Oak, MI USA; personal show 5'2003
- "Foto-island", Moscow; Personal show, 3'2003
- Studio Center, Ann Arbor; exhibition "Russian Eye", principal artist, 3'2003
- Michael Mullans Gallery, London, ON Canada, guest artist 2002
- 2011 Trierenberg Super Circuit, gold medal portrait category, 5'2011
- 2010 Professional Nomination, B&W Spider Awards
- 2011 Best Local Photographer, Real Detroit Weekly Magazine Readers Poll, 2'2011
- 2009 Best Photographer, Real Detroit Weekly Magazine Readers Poll, 4’2009
- 2006, Sony International Contest "Like. No. Other.", Special prize for the most original work
- 2007 Professional Nomination, B&W Spider Awards
- 2007, Photograph of the year 2007, category photo d'art, agence ARTINDEX, Saint Petersburg.
- 2008, SPJ Excellence Award, First Prize
- 2009, Leica Fotografie International Editor's Choice Award
- Gary Avanesyan, Pavel Dolezhal, Irakly Shanidze, Ed Tevosov. “Snipers in Love”, Prague 2003 ISBN 80-86315-07-X
- Irakly Shanidze, Portfolio Fotoloft Magazine  
- Irakly Shanidze, “Портрет в фуражке с поросёнком”, Siberian Photo 6’2001
- Irakly Shanidze, “Макрофотография”, Siberian Photo 1’2002
- Irakly Shanidze, “Управление цветами в цифровой фотографии”, Siberian Photo, 2’2002
- Irakly Shanidze, “Телеобъективы. Фотография для сильных и состоятельных”, Siberian Photo 3’2002
- Irakly Shanidze, “Десять советов начинающему фотографу”, Siberian Photo 4’2002
- Evgeny Safian, Irakly Shanidze, “Сплит-тонирование вчера и сегодня”, Siberian Photo 6’2002
- Irakly Shanidze, “Contax N Digital”, Siberian Photo 1’2003
- Irakly Shanidze, “Contax N Digital” (English translation) 
- Irakly Shanidze, “Гламур в фотографии”, Siberian Photo 6’2003
- Irakly Shanidze, “Canon EOS 10D”, PRO Photo (5-6) 2003, Moscow, Russia
- Irakly Shanidze, “Фабрика ангелов”, PRO Photo, (7) 2003, Moscow, Russia
- Irakly Shanidze, “Leica Digilux 2”, PRO Photo 6(16) 2004
- Irakly Shanidze, “Костюм”, “Rolex Oyster Perpetual”; Сборник “Совершенно Несерьезно”, коллектив авторов под эгидой , 2006
- Irakly Shanidze, “The Elements of Style”, 
- Irakly Shanidze, “Tulip of Passion”, 
- Irakly Shanidze, “Digital Technologies in Teaching Photography”, 
- Pavel Kiselev, Irakly Shanidze, “Photography as a Way of Life”, 
- Irakly Shanidze, “Camera and Photographic Style”, 
- Irakly Shanidze, “Camera and Photographic Style” (Russian translation), 
- Irakly Shanidze, “Carl Zeiss ZM For Image Connoisseurs”, 
- Irakly Shanidze, “Perfume Photography”, 
- Irakly Shanidze, “Композиция и зрительная гармония”, Digital Photo, 2.2006, Москва, Россия
- Irakly Shanidze, “Империя абсурда”, Free Time, 4’2010, Moscow, Russia 
- Irakly Shanidze, "Япония: Вчера. И завтра", Sharp magazine, 4.2011, Moscow, Russia 
-  International Academy of Photographic Arts
- Licedei theater
- FotoLoft Gallery
- Fotografie International photo stories permanent collection
- River Edge Gallery
-  Manez
- The Museum Of Russian Art
-  Lexar
-  Журнал Российское фото
-  Журнал Российское Фото
-  Журнал Российское Фото
-  Lexar Digital Photography
-  Lexar Digital Photography
-  Lexar Digital Photography
-  Sobranie Calendar
-  spies of moscow underground
-  ИА REGNUM
-  Журнал Фотодело
-  Восток Медиа
-  Signature Magazin (Page 14-15)
- Еще одна серия американского фотографа Ираклия Шанидзе
- Photo & Video magazin
- List of award winners (PDF), Super Circuit website.
-  Professional NominationSilhouette
- "Real Best of Detroit 2011-Arts & Culture", Real Detroit Weekly.
- "Detroit Art City: The Real Best of Detroit 2009", Real Detroit Weekly Magazine
- Professional Nomination Nude
- "Победителем номинации «Художественая фотография» стала работа Ираклия Шанидзе
- "Leica Fotografie International Editor's Choice Award