Irene Adams, Baroness Adams of Craigielea
|The Right Honourable
Baroness Adams of Craigielea
|Member of Parliament
for Paisley North
8 November 1990 – 5 May 2005
|Preceded by||Allen Adams|
|Succeeded by||Constituency Abolished|
|Born||27 September 1947|
Katherine Patricia Irene Adams, Baroness Adams of Craigielea (born 27 December 1947) is a Scottish Labour Party peer, who served as Member of Parliament in the constituency of Paisley North from 1990 to 2005.
She was educated at Stanley Green High School in Paisley. In 1970 she was on Paisley Town Council and by 1972 was appointed Justice of the Peace. In 1974 she became a councillor in her local Renfrew District Council and in 1979 went on to Strathclyde Regional Council (succeeding her husband, Allen Adams).
Allen Adams was MP for Paisley North, and for the earlier seat of Paisley from 1979 until his death in 1990, whereupon Irene (who had served as his secretary during his time as MP) won the subsequent by-election. While she had a record of loyalty to the party, she was seen as clearly on its left wing, and as one of the more pro-devolution Scottish Labour members.
Her constituency was absorbed into that of Paisley and Renfrewshire North and she was persuaded to stand down with the promise of a peerage, in order to allow sitting West Renfrewshire MP Jim Sheridan to be selected to fight in the May 2005 election.
On 4 February 2010 the BBC reported that Irene Adams had been told by Sir Thomas Legg to repay an amount of 5050 pounds. The Sunday Post reported in November 2014 that Adams had claimed £53,000 of expenses during a period when she did not speak in debate or submit any written questions.
Lady Adams of Craigielea is widowed and has one son and two daughters. She married Allen Adams on 24 February 1968.
- ? birth-1968
- Irene Adams JP (1972–1990)
- Irene Adams MP (1990–2005)
- The Rt. Hon. The Baroness Adams of Craigielea (2005–)
- Profile at Parliament of the United Kingdom
- Contributions in Parliament at Hansard 1803–2005
- Current session contributions in Parliament at Hansard
- Electoral history and profile at The Guardian
- Voting record at PublicWhip.org
- Record in Parliament at TheyWorkForYou.com
- Profile at Westminster Parliamentary Record
- Profile at BBC News Democracy Live
- Expenses in December 2009
- Expenses in May 2009
- Duty stamps on whisky bottles in April 2004
- Car torched in Paisley in July 1999
|Parliament of the United Kingdom|
|Member of Parliament for Paisley North
1990 – 2005