Iriney Santos da Silva
|Full name||Iriney Santos da Silva|
|Date of birth||23 April 1981|
|Place of birth||Humaitá, Brazil|
|Height||1.79 m (5 ft 10 in)|
|Current club||Mallorca (on loan from Watford)|
|2014||→ Mallorca (loan)||5||(0)|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 14 April 2014.
† Appearances (Goals).
He also holds a Spanish passport, having spent more than one decade playing in the country, mainly with Rayo Vallecano and Betis (three years apiece). He amassed La Liga totals of 151 games and two goals during seven seasons, with Rayo, Celta, Almería, Betis and Granada.
Born in Humaitá, Amazonas, Iriney made his professional debuts with Associação Desportiva São Caetano in 2000, and moved to Spain with Rayo Vallecano three years later. First-choice since his beginnings with the Madrid side, he did saw it drop two consecutive divisions; he made his La Liga debut on 23 February 2003, playing the full 90 minutes in a 0–4 home loss against Valencia CF.
In the summer of 2005 Iriney joined Celta de Vigo, being one of the Galicians' most consistent players during his two-season spell in the top level. Following the 2007 relegation he decided to leave, but was unable to find a new club due to a lengthy judicial battle until the 2008 January transfer window, when he signed with UD Almería.
Subsequently, after gaining match practice, Iriney was relatively used during his stay in Andalusia, with Almería consecutively maintaining its top flight status. In late June 2009 his contract expired and he moved to neighbours Real Betis, freshly relegated to the second level. He contributed with 36 games – 35 starts – and three goals in his second season as the club returned to the main division as champions and, on 25 February 2012, played his 100th official match with the Verdiblancos, against Getafe CF.
After repeatedly refusing to renew his contract, Iriney joined neighbouring Granada CF also in the first division, signing for three years as a free agent. After only one, however, he moved sides again, penning a two-year deal with Watford for an undisclosed fee.
Iriney made his debut in the League Championship on 3 August 2013, starting and finishing the 1–0 win at Birmingham City. On 31 January of the following year he returned to Spain after being loaned to division two's RCD Mallorca, until the end of the season.
- "El Valencia impone su autoridad ante el Rayo" [Valencia shows authority against Rayo] (in Spanish). El Mundo. 23 February 2003. Retrieved 25 December 2013.
- "El Celta no quiere a Iriney" [Celta does not want Iriney] (in Spanish). Marca. 28 September 2007. Retrieved 25 December 2013.
- "El Celta e Iriney irán a los tribunales" [Celta and Iriney to take it to court] (in Spanish). Marca. 15 September 2007. Retrieved 25 December 2013.
- "Iriney, otro brasileño para línea de creación – Corona, lesionado" [Iriney, another Brazilian for creative section – Corona, injured] (in Spanish). Ideal. 10 January 2008. Retrieved 25 December 2013.
- "El brasileño Iriney ficha por el Betis" [Brazilian Iriney signs for Betis] (in Spanish). El Correo. 30 June 2009. Retrieved 25 December 2013.
- "El Betis remonta y consigue el título de campeón de Segunda" [Betis comes from behind and gets Segunda champions title] (in Spanish). Marca. 4 June 2011. Retrieved 25 December 2013.
- "Iriney 100 partidos de verdiblancos y Mel 50 en Primera" [Iriney 100 games as a green-and-white and Mel 50 in Primera] (in Spanish). Number 1 Sport. 25 February 2012. Retrieved 25 December 2013.
- "Iriney, la renovación imposible" [Iriney, the impossible renewal] (in Spanish). ABC de Sevilla. 31 December 2011. Retrieved 25 December 2013.
- "Iriney rechaza una oferta de renovación del Betis" [Iriney rejects Betis offer to renew] (in Spanish). Marca. 11 May 2012. Retrieved 25 December 2013.
- "El Granada ficha a Iriney" [Granada signs Iriney] (in Spanish). Marca. 8 July 2012. Retrieved 25 December 2013.
- "Official: Iriney & Ekstrand sign". Watford F.C. 24 July 2013. Retrieved 25 December 2013.
- "Birmingham 0–1 Watford". BBC Sport. 3 August 2013. Retrieved 30 January 2014.
- "Iriney: “Al equipo le puedo aportar mi carácter”" [Iriney: “I can bring character to this team”] (in Spanish). RCD Mallorca. 31 January 2014. Retrieved 31 January 2014.