|Municipality and town|
|Nickname(s): Varadanangalude Nadu (വരദാനങ്ങളുടെ നാട്)|
|• Body||Irinjalakuda Municipal Council|
|• Total||11.24 km2 (4.34 sq mi)|
|Elevation||39 m (128 ft)|
|• Density||4,600/km2 (12,000/sq mi)|
|• Official||Malayalam, English|
|Time zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
According to Hindu factology, Irinjalakuda was created by sage Parasurama. According to Keralolpatthi, out of the 64 gramas (villages) established in Kerala, Irinjalakuda was the head of 10 of them. Irinjalakuda was one of the most prominent among these villages. Like the other villages this 'Grama' also followed the 'Chathurvarnia' system of society which lay upon caste system based on the 'Manusmruthi'.
The name Irinjalakuda has been derived from "Iru" and "Chaal", meaning two streams. According to another legend, the origin of the name Irinjalakuda came from 'Irinjalikoodal'. 'Koodal' simply means merge, merging of two rivers. Two streams that start, one from Kurmalipuzha and the other from Kudapuzha, that belongs to Chalakudypuzha, and move through Konthipulam at North whereas, the other one through Velukara at South. Then these two streams merge in the West. So it shows that Irinjalakuda may have gradually developed, from 'Irinjalikoodal', that derived from 'Inangikoodal', means merge. At present there is no river in Irinjalakuda, only the myth of river.
Another legend suggests that the origin of the name Irinjalakuda were heard, "Irunnu Salayil Koodai", and "Virinja Alu Kuda". There is a huge Banyan tree still standing in the centre of the Irinjalakuda spreading the branches to the sky like an umbrella. In the 18th century the Ruler of Kochi, Sakthan Thampuran brought four Christian families for improving commerce and trade to the place known as ‘Chanthappura’. When they struck gold in this field, more of this community migrated and settled in the area and now it became one of the strongholds of this community. Besides Hindu and Christian communities this area consists of Muslims.
A prominent Kerala mathematician-astronomer Madhava (Mādhava) who founded the Kerala school of astronomy and mathematics was from Sangamagrama (Saṅgamagrāma), a town in medieval Kerala believed to be the town of Irinjalakuda. Nagapattinam Chandrashekhara Vasanthakokilam a carnatic singer and actress, was born as Kamakshi in Irinjalakkuda, Cochin State of British India, the present Kerala.
As of 2011[update] India census, Irinjalakuda had a population of 51,585. Males constitute 48% of the population and females 52%. Irinjalakuda has an average literacy rate of 96% which is much higher than the national average of 74.65%. While male literacy stands at 97.12%, female literacy is 94.56%. 10% of the population is under 6 years of age.
In the 18th century, the ruler of Kingdom of Cochin, Sakthan Thampuran, brought four Christian families for improving commerce and trade to the place known as 'Chanthappura' (now Chandakunnu) near Irinjalakuda. Economic development took place and Kochi Divan Shanmughan Chetty constructed a canal link known as 'Shanmugham Canal' to Cochin which improved the water transport of goods and hence the business. The canal still exists even it has lost the past glory. The ayurvedic soap, Chandrika, made by C. R. Kesavan Vaidyar originated in Irinjalakuda and was bought by the Bangalore company Wipro. Another company which had made it big is Bombay Stock Exchange listed is Kerala Solvent Extractions Ltd. The company manufacture cattle feed, edible oils and dairy products. KLF Nirmal Industries P Ltd, with their brand KLF Coconad endorsed by Padmasree Mohanlal, is one of the biggest brands in coconut cooking oil.
Irinjalakuda is governed by Irinjalakuda Municipality. The Municipality was formed on February 8, 1936 with an area of 11.24 square kilometres. K.I. Varunny was the first municipal chairman and the municipality was divided into 22 electoral wards. Now, the Municipality has 41 wards. Irinjalakuda is the headquarters of the Irinjalakuda Taluk and is a Grade-II municipality. There is a court complex inside the Civil Station that houses the Judicial First Class Magistrate Court, Additional Sub Court, Munsif Courts and Motor Accidents Claims Tribunal. (M.A.C.T.).Irinjalakuda also has a family court. Thers is a special sub jail in Irinjalakuda . Irinjalakuda assembly constituency was a part of Mukundapuram (Lok Sabha constituency). Now it is a part of Thrissur (Lok Sabha constituency). The MLA of the municipality is Advocate Thomas Unniyadan. Lonappan Nambadan was the last MP of Mukundapuram, now the MP is C. N. JAYADEVAN.The Chairperson of Irinjalakuda Municipality is Smt. Marykutty Joy.
Irinjalakuda is located on State Highway 22 (Kerala), which links to major national highways NH 47 and NH 66 in the State. Two main roads State Highway 22 (Kerala) (Kodungallur-Shornur) Road and State Highway 61 (Kerala) (Potta-Moonupeedika) criss-crosses Irinjalakuda town. There is a private bus station in Irinjalakuda which serves local and inter-district travellers.KSRTC bus station is situated behind the Koodalmanikyam temple.KSRTC operates services to Trivandrum,Eranakulam,Kottayam,Kozhikode,Palakkad and Mananthavady.
The nearest railway station is the Irinjalakuda Railway Station which is about 7 km East of the town at Kallettumkara. Irinjalakuda Railway Station is managed by the Southern Railways of Indian Railways. Most express trains stop at this station. Thrissur Railway Station is another major railhead around 21 km from Irinjalakuda.
The nearest airport is the Cochin International Airport at Nedumbassery, which is 37 km away. The airport is well connected to all major airports in India and also connected to many foreign cities. Direct flights are available to Chennai, New Delhi, Mumbai, Bangalore and Kolkata.
Irinjalakuda has several hospitals and health clinics, including Govt Taluk Hospital, Marina Hospital, Sacred Heart Hospital, Lal Memorial Hospital and ESI Dispensary. Ayurveda Hospitals like Kandamkulathy Ayurveda Hospital and Govt Ayurveda Hospital are also available here. Eye Hospital like Nethra Eye Care Centre is also situated in the heart of Irinjalakuda.
Between the 14th and 16th Century, it was a center of learning. Kerala school of astronomy and mathematics which was believed to be founded here, made major contributions in Algebra, Arithmetic, Astronomy, Calculus, Geometry, Infinite Series and Linguistics.
In the present day there are lots of educational institutions which provides education from nursery to college level.
- Christ College
- St. Joseph's College, Irinjalakuda
- Namboodiris Institute of Higher Education
- Jyothis College Irinjalakuda
- Lisieux Convent & Home Science College
- PNS College of Engineering & KTES Industrial Training Center
- Chemmanur Academy irinjalakuda
- Bharatiya Vidya Bhavan's Vidya Mandir
- Christ Vidyaniketan ICSE
- Don Bosco Higher Secondary School
- Don Bosco Central School (ICSE & ISC)
- Little Flower Girls High School
- St.Mary's High School
- National High School
- Govt Girls High School
- Santhinikethan Public school
- Govt. Model Boys High School
- Mahatma UP School, Porathissery
- Sree Narayana Higher Secondary School
- N.S.S. Sangameshwara English Medium School
- N.S.S Public School,
- government model higher secondary school nadavaramba
- Prateeksha Bhavan (School for the mentally struggling children - near Christ College)
Irinjalakuda has been the home of many notable people, including:
- C. R. Kesavan Vaidyar
- K. Radhakrishnan
- Idavela Babu
- Tovino Thomas
- Dr. K. Radhakrishnan
- [Marykutty Joy]
- "The Legend". Koodalmanikyam Temple. Retrieved 2010-12-07.
- "A Short History". AEO Irinjalakuda. Retrieved 2010-12-07.
- "Irinjalakuda". Janasevana Kendram. Retrieved 2010-12-05.
- C T Rajagopal and M S Rangachari (June 1978). "On an untapped source of medieval Keralese mathematics". Archive for History of Exact Sciences. 18 (2): 89–102.
- "Census of India 2001: Data from the 2001 Census, including cities, villages and towns (Provisional)". Census Commission of India. Archived from the original on 2004-06-16. Retrieved 2008-11-01.
- "A Short History". AEO Irinjalakuda. Retrieved 2010-12-08.
- "Company". Google Finance. Retrieved 2010-04-24.
- "KLF Nirmal Industries launches Hair oil in the city". Afro Asian Business Chronicle. Retrieved 2010-12-08.
- "History". Irinjalakuda Municipality. Retrieved 2010-12-07.
- "Video Conferencing between Courts and Jails launched". Kerala State IT Mission. Retrieved 2010-12-11.
- "Ripper Surendran escapes again". The Hindu. Retrieved 2010-12-11.
- "Assembly Constituencies - Corresponding Districts and Parliamentary Constituencies". Kerala. Election Commission of India. Retrieved 2008-10-19.
- "How to reach". Koodalmanikyam Temple. Retrieved 2010-12-07.
- Irinjalakuda Municipality : Official Website
- www.irinjalakuda.com : First Internet News Portal of Irinjalakuda
- www.irinjalakudalive.com : Internet News Channel
- http://irinjalakudaonline.com : Internet News Portal
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Irinjalakuda.|