Irish Champion Stakes
|Irish Champion Stakes|
|Group 1 race|
Co. Dublin, Ireland
|Race type||Flat / Thoroughbred|
|Distance||1m 2f (2,012 metres)|
|Qualification||Three-years-old and up|
|Weight||9 st 0 lb (3yo);
9 st 7 lb (4yo+)
3 lb for fillies and mares
|The Grey Gatsby||Australia||Trading Leather|
The Irish Champion Stakes is a Group 1 flat horse race in Ireland open to horses aged three years or older. It is run at Leopardstown over a distance of 1 mile and 2 furlongs (2,012 metres), and it is scheduled to take place each year in September.
The event was established in 1976, and it was initially held at Leopardstown as the Joe McGrath Memorial Stakes. It was named in memory of Joe McGrath (1887–1966), the founder of the Irish Hospitals' Sweepstake and a successful racehorse owner.
The race was transferred to Phoenix Park and renamed the Phoenix Champion Stakes in 1984. Its present title was introduced in 1991, when the event returned to Leopardstown after the closure of its former venue.
Most successful horse (2 wins):
- Dylan Thomas – 2006, 2007
Leading jockey (7 wins):
- Michael Kinane – Carroll House (1989), Cezanne (1994), Pilsudski (1997), Giant's Causeway (2000), High Chaparral (2003), Azamour (2004), Sea the Stars (2009)
Leading trainer (7 wins):
- Aidan O'Brien – Giant's Causeway (2000), High Chaparral (2003), Oratorio (2005), Dylan Thomas (2006, 2007), Cape Blanco (2010), So You Think (2011)
Leading owner (7 wins): (includes part ownership)
- Sue Magnier / Michael Tabor – Giant's Causeway (2000), High Chaparral (2003), Oratorio (2005), Dylan Thomas (2006, 2007), Cape Blanco (2010), So You Think (2011)
- List of Irish flat horse races
- Recurring sporting events established in 1976 – this race is included under its original title, Joe McGrath Memorial Stakes.
- "2011 Breeders' Cup Challenge Schedule". breederscup.com. Retrieved 12 February 2012.
- Racing Post:
- galopp-sieger.de – Irish Champion Stakes.
- horseracingintfed.com – International Federation of Horseracing Authorities – Irish Champion Stakes (2014).
- irishracinggreats.com – Irish Champion Stakes (Group 1).
- pedigreequery.com – Irish Champion Stakes – Leopardstown.