Irish Federation of Astronomical Societies
The Irish Federation of Astronomical Societies (IFAS) is an umbrella group comprising most of the National and Regional Astronomical Societies on the Island of Ireland.
IFAS was formed in October 1999 to provide an umbrella organisation for mutual benefit and co-operation for almost all Irish astronomical clubs and societies on the Island of Ireland, north and south.
Since its inception it has formed an on-line community for astronomers though its portal.
The federation council is made up of 2 members from each club/society, regardless of the size of the society. Out of the council, a Chairman, vice Chairman, Secretary and Treasurer are elected annually.
The IFAS Constitution details the running of IFAS.
|This section is empty. You can help by adding to it. (July 2010)|
According to the IFAS constitution, membership is open to any astronomical clubs or societies on the island of Ireland "which are governed by a democratically elected council or committee".
The current members are:
- Irish Astronomical Association
- Irish Astronomical Society - website: Irish Astronomical Society
- Birr Astronomical Society
- Cork Astronomy Club
- Deise Astronomy Society
- East Antrim Astronomical Society
- Galway Astronomy Club
- National University of Ireland, Galway Astronomy Society
- Kerry Astronomy Club
- Kildare Astronomical Society
- Midlands Astronomy Club (formerly the Tullamore Astronomical Society)
- Shannonside Astronomy Club
- Slaneyside Astronomical Society
- South Dublin Astronomical Society