|This article needs additional citations for verification. (June 2014)|
Coorg Valley in the God's own country
View of Iritty Bridge built in 1933
|• Official||Malayalam, English|
|Time zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
|Telephone code||91 (0)490|
|Vehicle registration||KL 13 (Kannur) and KL 58 (Thalassery)|
|Nearest city||Thalassery and Kannur|
|Lok Sabha constituency||Kannur|
Iritty is a small town in the district of Kannur in the state of Kerala, India. It comes in Keezhur-Chavassery Panchayath. The town is the main market place for the farmer communities in the surrounding regions. Iritty is known as The Coorg Valley in God's Own Country. Iritty is one of the fast upcoming towns in Kerala and one among four taluks in Kannur district.
- 1 Location
- 2 Geography
- 3 Etymology
- 4 Transportation
- 5 Commerce
- 6 Institutions in Iritty
- 7 Hospitals
- 8 Higher Education/ Technical Education/ IT Education
- 9 Govt/ Aided/ Unaided Schools
- 10 Pilgrim Centres & Religious Centres
- 11 Banks
- 12 Hotels, Restaurants and Tourist Homes
- 13 Tourism
- 14 Eminent Personalities
- 15 Dreams of Iritty
- 16 References
- 17 External links
Iritty is located on the banks of Valapattanam River, which is originated from nearby Kodagu hills and Kottiyoor mountains. Iritty is situated on the Thalassery-Coorg-Mysore highway. Nearby smaller towns are Mattannur, Peravoor, Keezhppally, Vallithode, Karikkottakary, Angadikadavu, Anappanthy, Edoor, Ulikkal, Keezhur Kunnu, Punnad, Charal and Chavassery.
Aralam Wildlife Sanctuary is situated 8 kilometres (5 mi) from Iritty.
Iritty is surrounded by hills. A river flowing through Iritty is more commonly known as Iritty Puzha/Iritty River. Tourists visiting Iritty have the option of staying at a number of riverside Tourist homes, from where they can view the Iritty river. There is a steel girder bridge, built in 1933, over the river. There is a Dam in the place Pazhassi for irrigation purpose named 'PazhassiDam'. it is almost 10 km from the town. Wayanad tourist destinations are near from this place.The nearby areas are depending for their most of the shopping Iritty. Payam,Kondambra,Kolikkadavu, keezhur, Ulickal, Vattiyamthode, Mattara, Kalanki, Manikadave, Manippara Perumpally, Nuchiyad, Vayathoor, Edoor, Peratta, Karikottakari, Angadikadave, Kootupuzha, Charal, Alathupramba, Thermala, Urathoor etc. are the nearby small towns around.
Iritty, one of the beautiful hill side towns in the north Malabar of Kerala. The beauty of Iritty lies together with the unique rivers, streams, green hills and valleys. The main Streams of Iritty river are by the three rivers such as Bavali river, Aralam river and Barapuzha(Veni river). Before the name 'Iritty,' made the first cry, this land was nourished by two main rivers, one Barapuzha and Bavalipuzha . People started calling both the rivers confluence as Iratta puzha ( Double River & 'Puzha' means River ), and in course of time the land became Iritty...
Iritty lies at an equal distance from the nearby cities of Kannur, Thalassery, Mahe, Taliparamba and Virajpet(Karnataka State). An interstate highway passes through Iritty connecting Thalassery and Kodagu. This was initially called the TC Road by the British. Now it refers to the Thalassery end of the highway. This highway is used by interstate bus services plying to Madikeri, Mysore and Bangalore. Keezhur is the starting point of Iritty town.
This place is well-connected by road from both Kannur and Thalassery. There are frequent buses from Iritty and to both these places and to several places across Kerala including Kottayam, Cochin (Ernakulam), Kasaragod,Panathur, Malom, Cherupuzha, Wayanad and Kozhikode. There is no railway line, with the nearest railway stations at Kannur and Thalassery. The nearest airport is Calicut International Airport at Kozhikode. Kannur International Airport, under construction at Mooorkhanparamba near Mattannur in Kannur district is expected to be operational by the end of 2014 and is located 18 km south-west of Iritty.Also This place Can Connect to Ooty From Kannur where The State Runs Buses between Ooty and Kannur 
Iritty is one of the major towns of the Kannur district. With nearby villages which produce cash crops and plantation crops, Iritty is a major commercial town too. It is one of the growing towns in the district. Iritty is famous for cash crops such as pepper, rubber and cashew nuts, some of which are sold under regional brands in various auction houses and commodities markets.
Belonging to Keezhur Chavassery Special Grade Panchayath, Iritty is primarily a trading town. Iritty is headquarters to several State Government offices.Most of these offices have jurisdiction over nearby towns like Mattanur and Peravoor.
Institutions in Iritty
|This section is empty. You can help by adding to it. (October 2014)|
- Amala Multi Speciality Hospital, Keezhur.
- Thulasi Malabar Hospital, Iritty.
- Karunya Hospital, Iritty.
- Nikhil Hospital, Iritty.
- P T Chacko Memmorial Co-operative Hospital, Iritty.
- Reena Nursing Home.
- Christu Raja Dental Clinic
- Asokan's Dental Clinic.
- ECHS Poly Clinic, Iritty
- Govt.Taluk Hospital, Iritty
Higher Education/ Technical Education/ IT Education
- Amala School of Nursing, affiliated with Indian Nursing Council
- Don Bosco College, Angadikadavu, a self-financing college affiliated to Kannur University
- Mahatma Gandhi College,Iritty, affiliated to Kannur University
- EMS Memorial College of Applied Science, Iritty
- Sree Narayana Guru College of Arts and Science, Veerpad, Iritty
- De Paul College, Edathotty, Kannur University
- Ideal Arabic College, Narempara, Uliyil,affiliated to kannur university
- Pushparam ITI(Pvt.), Iritty
- MG ITI under Iritty Educational Society, Keezhur Kunnu, Iritty
- Chaithanya Institute of Technology, Iritty
- Nikhil School of Nursing
- Central Institute of education and Training, affiliated to Dept.of Technical Education, Govt.of kerala, Iritty
- Central Institute of Development and Imaging Technology (C-dit)
- Rutronix institute of Computer Education
- SAC Sankaracharya Center for IT Studies
- Sree Sankaracharya Computer Center
Govt/ Aided/ Unaided Schools
- St. Mary's Higher Secondary School, Edoor.
- St. Sebastian's Higher Secondary School, Velimanam.
- Iritty Higher Secondary School.
- GHSS Aralam.
- St. Joseph's High School, Kunnoth.
- Sacred Heart Higher Secondary School, Angadikkadave.
- Govt.Higher Secondary School, Pala
- GHSS, padiyoor
- St.Thomas HSS, Kiliyanthara
- Kavumbady Higher Secondary School
- GHSS Chavassery.
- St. Thomas High School, Karikkottakari.
- Govt. High School, Perinkari
- Zuhra UP School, Vellarivayal.
- Vazhunnavars UPS, Keezhur
- SDA English School Keezhur, Iritty
- St.John Bapist EHSS, Kadathumkadavu, Iritty
- CMI Christ School, Iritty
- Benhill English School, Iritty
Pilgrim Centres & Religious Centres
- St. Mary's Forane Church Edoor
- St.Josephs Church Iritty
- Sree Kairathi Kiratha Temple Iritty
- Sree Mahavishnu Temple Keezhur
- Sree Mahadeva Temple Keezhur
- Sree Mundayamparamba Tharakkumeethal Bhagavathi Temple
- Payancheri Sree Vairee Khathakan kshethram
- Sree Koorumba Bhagavathi temple Payancheri, Iritty
- Sacred Heart Church Angadikkadavu
- State Bank of India
- State Bank of Travancore
- Union Bank of India
- Syndicate Bank
- Federal Bank
- Punjab National Bank
- ICICI Bank
- Kerala Gramin Bank
- Canara Bank
- South Indian Bank
- Jilla Bank Kannur
- Iritty Co-operative Rural Bank
Hotels, Restaurants and Tourist Homes
- KK Tourist Home
- Hotel Surya
- M2H Residency
- Kalpaka Tourist Home
- PVM Tourist Home
- Fashion Tourist Home
- Hotel Raza
- Eyote Family Restaurant
- Hotel Santhi Sagar
- Thoufeeque Family Restaurant
- Nirmala Hotel
Iritty and the surrounding areas have a splendid choices of tourism attractions. As a beautiful hilly area surrounded by many stunning rivers and streams make Iritty a best choice for tourists not only from Kerala but also from different corners of the globe.
1. Aralam wildlife Sanctury 2. Pazhassi Dam and garden 3. Kanjirakkolly waterfalls 4. Coorg valleys 5. Palchuram 6. Krishnagiri river and Barapole hydroelectric project 7. Central State farm at Aralam 8. Steel girder bridge at Iritty built by British
The attractions in and around Iritty go endlessly......
Dreams of Iritty
- Thalassery-Mysore Rail Line
- To beacome a municipality
- To have a stadium
- Mini Civil Station
- Judicial Court
- Campus of Kannur University
- Development of Tribal Areas
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Iritty.|