|This article needs additional citations for verification. (June 2014)|
Coorg Valley in the God's own country
View of Iritty Bridge built in 1933
|• Official||Malayalam, English|
|Time zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
|Telephone code||91 (0)490|
|Vehicle registration||KL 13 (Kannur) and KL 58 (Thalassery)|
|Nearest city||Thalassery and Kannur|
|Lok Sabha constituency||Kannur|
Iritty is a small town in the district of Kannur in the state of Kerala, India. It comes in Keezhur-Chavassery Panchayath. The town is the main market place for the farmer communities in the surrounding regions. Iritty is known as The Coorg Valley in God's Own Country.
Iritty is located on the banks of Valapattanam River, which is originated from nearby Kodagu hills and Kottiyoor mountains. Iritty is situated on the Thalassery-Coorg-Mysore highway. Nearby smaller towns are Mattannur, Peravoor, Keezhppally, Vallithode, Karikkottakary, Angadikadavu, Anappanthy, Edoor, Ulikkal, Keezhur Kunnu, Punnad, Charal and Chavassery.
Aralam Wildlife Sanctuary is situated 8 kilometres (5 mi) from Iritty.
Iritty is surrounded by hills. A river flowing through Iritty is more commonly known as Iritty Puzha/Iritty River. Tourists visiting Iritty have the option of staying at a number of riverside Tourist homes, from where they can view the Iritty river. There is a steel girder bridge, built in 1933, over the river. There is a Dam in the place Pazhassi for irrigation purpose named 'PazhassiDam'. it is almost 10 km from the town. Wayanad tourist destinations are near from this place.The nearby areas are depending for their most of the shopping Iritty. Payam,Kondambra,Kolikkadavu, keezhur, Ulickal, Vattiyamthode, Mattara, Kalanki, Manikadave, Manippara Perumpally, Nuchiyad, Vayathoor, Edoor, Peratta, Karikottakari, Angadikadave, Kootupuzha, Charal, Alathupramba, Thermala, Urathoor etc. are the nearby small towns around.
History of Name
Iritty, one of the beautiful hill side towns in the north Malabar of Kerala. The beauty of Iritty lies together with the unique rivers, streams, green hills and valleys. The main Streams of Iritty river are by the three rivers such as Bavali river, Aralam river and Barapuzha(Veni river). Before the name 'Iritty,' made the first cry, this land was nourished by two main rivers, one Barapuzha and Bavalipuzha . People started calling both the rivers confluence as Iratta puzha ( Double River & 'Puzha' means River ), and in course of time the land became Iritty...
Iritty lies at an equal distance from the nearby cities of Kannur, Thalassery, Mahe, Taliparamba and Virajpet(Karnataka State). An interstate highway passes through Iritty connecting Thalassery and Kodagu. This was initially called the TC Road by the British. Now it refers to the Thalassery end of the highway. This highway is used by interstate bus services plying to Madikeri, Mysore and Bangalore. Keezhur is the starting point of Iritty town.
This place is well-connected by road from both Kannur and Thalassery. There are frequent buses from Iritty and to both these places and to several places across Kerala including Kottayam, Cochin (Ernakulam), Kasaragod,Panathur, Malom, cherupuzha, Wayanad and Kozhikode. There is no railway line, with the nearest railway stations at Kannur and Thalassery. The nearest airport is Calicut International Airport at Kozhikode. Kannur International Airport, under construction at Mooorkhanparamba near Mattannur in Kannur district is expected to be operational by the end of 2014 and is located 22 km south-west of Iritty.
Amala multi speciality hospital, Keezhur. Thulasi malabar hospital, Iritty. Karunya Hospital, Iritty. Nikhil hospital, Iritty. P T Chacko memmorial co-operative hospital, Iritty. Reena nursing home. Kristu raja dental clinic Asokan's dental clinic. ECHS Poly Clinic, Iritty ESI Clinic, Iritty Govt.Taluk Hospital, Iritty
Iritty is one of the major towns of the Kannur district. With nearby villages which produce cash crops and plantation crops, Iritty is a major commercial town too. It is one of the growing towns in the district. Iritty is famous for cash crops such as pepper, rubber and cashew nuts, some of which are sold under regional brands in various auction houses and commodities markets.
Belonging to Keezhur Chavassery Special Grade Panchayath, Iritty is primarily a trading town. Iritty is headquarters to several State Government offices. Interestingly, most of these offices have jurisdiction over larger and better developed towns like Mattanur.
'HIGHER EDUCATION/ TECHNICAL EDUCATION/ IT EDUCATION'
- Amala School of Nursing, affiliated with Indian Nursing Council
- Don Bosco College, Angadikadavu, a self-financing college affiliated to Kannur University
- Mahatma Gandhi College,Iritty, affiliated to Kannur University
- EMS Memorial College of Applied Science, Iritty
- De Paul College, Edathotty, Kannur University
- Ideal Arabic College, Narempara, Uliyil,affiliated to kannur university
- Pushparam ITI(Pvt.), Iritty
- MG ITI under Iritty Educational Society, Keezhur Kunnu, Iritty
- Chaithanya Institute of Technology, Iritty
- Nikhil School of Nursing
- Central Institute of education and Training, affiliated to Dept.of Technical Education, Govt.of kerala, Iritty
- Central Institute of Development and Imaging Technology (C-dit)
- Rutronix institute of Computer Education
- SAC Sankaracharya Center for IT Studies
'GOVT/ AIDED/ UNAIDED SCHOOLS'
- St. Mary's Higher Secondary School, Edoor.
- St. Sebastian's Higher Secondary School, Velimanam.
- Iritty Higher Secondary School.
- GHSS Aralam.
- St. Joseph's Higher Secondary School, Kunnoth.
- Sacred Heart Higher Secondary School, Angadikkadave.
- Govt.Higher Secondary School, Pala
- GHSS, padiyoor
- St.Thomas HSS, Kiliyanthara
- Kavumbady Higher Secondary School
- GHSS Chavassery.
- St. Thomas High School, Karikkottakari.
- Govt. High School, Perinkari
- Zuhra UP School, Vellarivayal.
- Vazhunnavars UPS, Keezhur
- St.John Bapist EHSS, Kadathumkadavu, Iritty
- CMI Christ School, Iritty
- Benhill English School, Iritty
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Iritty.|