|Member of the Michigan Senate
from the 3rd district
|Preceded by||Raymond M. Murphy|
|Succeeded by||Morris Hood III|
Irma Clark-Coleman is a politician from the U.S. state of Michigan. She was a Democratic member of the Michigan Senate, representing the 3rd District from 2003 to 2010. Previously she was a member of the Michigan House of Representatives from 1999 to 2002.
Early life and career
Clark-Coleman attended Detroit Public Schools and holds a B.A. and M.A. in communications from Wayne State University. Beginning in 1967, Clark-Coleman held a variety of positions in Wayne County government; starting as a stenographer, and eventually serving as Assistant Director for Public Information to the county Road Commission, Media Relations Manager for Wayne County Executive William Lucas, Press Secretary to County Executive Ed McNamara and Director of Human Relations. Clark Coleman retired from Wayne County in 1998.
Clark-Coleman is married to Rev. Ron D. Coleman, Sr., pastor of God Land Unity Church. Clark-Coleman has two children.
In 1991, Clark-Coleman was appointed to the Detroit Board of Education - and served in that capacity until 1998. Clark-Coleman served as the board's vice president and president (1996–1998).
Clark Coleman was elected to the Michigan House of Representatives (district 11) in 1998 - and re-elected in 2000. In 2002, she was elected to the Michigan State Senate - and re-elected in 2006. Clark-Coleman served on the Senate Appropriations Committee. Under the term limits provisions of Michigan's Constitution, Clark-Coleman was barred from seeking re-election in 2010.
- 2006 election for Michigan State Senate - Michigan 3rd District
Name Percent Irma Clark-Coleman (D) (inc.) 82.5% Paul E. Sophiea (R) 17.5%
- 2006 election for Michigan State Senate - Michigan 3rd District (Democratic primary)
Name Percent Irma Clark-Coleman (inc.) 61.4% Alison Vaughn 16.6%%
- 2002 election for Michigan State Senate - Michigan 3rd District
Name Percent Irma Clark-Coleman (D) 80.6% Jose A. Hernandez II (R) 19.4%
- 2002 election for Michigan State Senate - Michigan 3rd District (Democratic primary)
Name Percent Irma Clark-Coleman 63.4% Ronald J. Tafelski 15.7% Doug Thomas 12.8%
- Michigan Legislative Service Bureau (2006). Michigan Manual 2005-2006 (PDF). Lansing, MI: Legislative Council, State of Michigan. p. 129. ISBN 1-878210-06-8. Retrieved 2007-03-09.
- Michigan Senate Democrats (2007). "Michigan Senate Democrats: About Irma Clark-Coleman". Retrieved 2007-03-09.[dead link]
- Michigan Senate - Irma Clark-Coleman
- Project Vote Smart - Senator Irma Clark-Coleman (MI) profile
- Follow the Money - Irma Clark-Coleman
- Michigan Bureau of Elections - Irma Clark-Coleman (State Senate) campaign finance reports and data
- Michigan Bureau of Elections - Irma Clark (State House) campaign finance reports and data
- Michigan Senate Democratic Caucus
- Michigan Liberal - SD03
Raymond M. Murphy
|State Senator from Michigan's 3rd District
2003 – 2010
Morris Hood III
Morris Hood, Jr.
|State Representative from Michigan's 11th District
1999 – 2002
Morris Hood III