From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Iron Duke may refer to:
- Two dukes, both military officers, were nicknamed the "Iron Duke" during their lifetimes:
- HMS Iron Duke named after Wellington, is the name of three ships in the Royal Navy, one of which is still in active service (a frigate)
- GM Iron Duke engine, the nickname given to a 151 cid (cubic inch displacement) 4-cylinder internal combustion engine used in many 1980s-era General Motors automobiles, pickup trucks, and the United States Postal Service's LLV Mail trucks
- GWR Iron Duke Class, the name of a famous class of locomotive built by the Great Western Railway in England
- Iron Duke was one of the GWR 3031 Class locomotives that were built for and run on the Great Western Railway between 1891 and 1915.
- The Duquesne Dukes Football Team has been referred to as the "Iron Dukes" beginning in the 1930s and 40's when the team ranked consistently in the AP Rankings.
- Duke Blue Devils football, the branch of the Duke University's athletic department, in charge of alumni relations and donations. It was named after the nickname of the 1938 Duke football team, one of only three NCAA football teams to go the entire season unbeaten, untied, and not scored upon
- Iron Duke is the name of a supervillain character in the Silver Age Sentinels roleplaying game, based in part on Isambard Kingdom Brunel
- Archbishop of Vancouver, William Mark Duke, was also known as "Iron Duke" for being a strict disciplinarian and financial manager of the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Vancouver during the Great Depression of the Dirty Thirties and World War II years
- John F. Thompson, former Massachusetts state Speaker of the House, nicknamed the Iron Duke
- Iron Duke is an iron ore mine connected to a port and steelworks at Whyalla, South Australia
- An Iron Duke is the nickname for a type of cast iron outdoor public urinal, commonly found in England from 1880-1960.
The Iron Dukes are also the name of a storied armor battalion of the US Army, now 2/37 Armor; formerly 2/67 Armor.
|This disambiguation page lists articles associated with the same title.
If an internal link led you here, you may wish to change the link to point directly to the intended article.