|Genres||Power metal, heavy metal|
|Years active||1996 – present|
|Labels||AFM Records (current)
|Associated acts||Savage Circus, Gamma Ray, Blind Guardian|
Joachim "Piesel" Küstner
|Past members||Kai Hansen
Iron Savior is a German power metal band that formed in Hamburg, Germany in 1996. Following a period of several years working behind the scenes in music production, multi-instrumentalist and producer/engineer Piet Sielck joined with former Helloween bandmate Kai Hansen and then-drummer for Blind Guardian Thomen Stauch in a new project that would blend power metal with a high-concept science fiction story. The band's debut album Iron Savior introduced the story that would be told over the course of multiple albums, featuring a self-aware space vessel called the Iron Savior and its relationship to the mythical lost civilization of Atlantis.
Critics have compared Iron Savior's sound and musical approach to classic heavy metal bands like Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, and Queensrÿche. Kai Hansen's presence in the band brought to the Iron Savior albums on which he appeared a style heavily influenced by Gamma Ray and Helloween.
Since its inception, Iron Savior has released eight studio albums, two EPs, and two singles. When asked about releasing a live album or a DVD in the future, Piet Sielck responded by showing a disinterest in a live album but shows an interest in a DVD if a good opportunity pops up;
"it's not like we're so keen about it but never say never."
Despite numerous lineup changes, Piet has continued to direct the band and is currently the only remaining founding member.
Current band members
- Piet Sielck – lead vocals, guitar (1996 – )
- Joachim "Piesel" Küstner – guitar, backing vocals (2000 – )
- Jan-Sören Eckert – bass, vocals (1997 – 2003, 2011 – )
- Thomas Nack – drums and percussion (1999 – )
Former band members
- Kai Hansen – vocals, guitar (1996 – 2001)
- Yenz Leonhardt – bass, backing vocals (2003 – 2011)
- Andreas Kück – keyboards, backing vocals (1998 – 2003)
- Dan Zimmermann – drums (1998 – 1999)
- Thomen Stauch – drums (1996 – 1998)
- Iron Savior (1997)
- Unification (1998)
- Dark Assault (2001)
- Condition Red (2002)
- Battering Ram (2004)
- Megatropolis (2007)
- The Landing (2011)
- Rise of the Hero (2014)
- Coming Home (1998)
- Interlude (1999)
- I've Been to Hell (2000)
- "Titans of Our Time" (2002)
- "Time Will Tell" (2004)
- Alex Henderson. "Iron Savior". Allmusic. Rovi Corporation. Retrieved 6 February 2011.
- "The whole Iron Savior story". Iron Savior. Retrieved 25 Juny 2012.
- "Iron Savior – Biography". Metal Storm. Retrieved 6 February 2011.
- Iron Savior Details New LP "The Landing," Streaming New Track
- Official homepage
- Official webshop
- Official Myspace
- Text of the Iron Savior story as told through liner notes