|Town of Irricana|
|Motto: Open the Gateway to the Country|
|Municipal district||Rocky View County|
|• Mayor||Valerie Squires|
|• Governing body||Irricana Town Council|
|• Total||3.18 km2 (1.23 sq mi)|
|Elevation||935 m (3,068 ft)|
|• Density||364.9/km2 (945/sq mi)|
|Time zone||MST (UTC-7)|
|Postal code span||TOM 1BO|
Irricana // is a town in southern Alberta, Canada surrounded by Rocky View County. It is located adjacent to Highway 9, approximately 53 kilometres (33 mi) northeast of Calgary, west of the Drumheller badlands.
The name dates the town back to the irrigation projects in the area. By 1909, the town had a post office, hotel and store operated by the Irricana Trading Company. Originally incorporated as a village on June 9, 1911, Irricana changed its status to a town 94 years later on June 9, 2005. Irricana celebrated its centennial in 2011.
In the 2011 Census, the Town of Irricana had a population of 1,162 living in 444 of its 480 total dwellings, a -6.5% change from its 2006 population of 1,243. With a land area of 3.18 km2 (1.23 sq mi), it had a population density of 365.4/km2 (946.4/sq mi) in 2011.
In 2006, Irricana had a population of 1,243 living in 443 dwellings, a 19.2% increase from 2001. The village has a land area of 3.18 km2 (1.23 sq mi) and a population density of 390.3 /km2 (1,011 /sq mi).
- "Municipal Officials Search". Alberta Municipal Affairs. August 10, 2014. Retrieved August 10, 2014.
- "Population and dwelling counts, for Canada, provinces and territories, and census subdivisions (municipalities), 2011 and 2006 censuses (Alberta)". Statistics Canada. 2012-02-08. Retrieved 2012-02-08.
- Read, Tracy (1983). Acres and Empires : a history of the Municipal District of Rocky View no. 44. p. 79.
- "Town of Irricana Location and History Profile". Alberta Municipal Affairs. 2012-07-13. Retrieved 2012-07-17.
- Statistics Canada (Census 2006). "Irricana - Community Profile". Retrieved 2007-06-12.