A screenshot of Irssi.
|Original author(s)||Timo Sirainen|
|Developer(s)||The Irssi team|
|Stable release||0.8.15 (April 3, 2010[±])|
|Preview release||0.8.16rc1 (June 26, 2013[±])|
|License||GNU General Public License v2|
Irssi (Finnish pronunciation: [ˈirs.si] (audio)) is an IRC client program for Linux, FreeBSD, Microsoft Windows, and Mac OS X. It was originally written by Timo Sirainen, and released under the terms of the GNU General Public License in January 1999.
According to the developers, Irssi was written from scratch, not based on ircII (like BitchX and epic). This freed the developers from having to deal with the constraints of an existing codebase, allowing them to maintain tighter control over issues such as security and customization. Numerous modules and Perl scripts have been made available for Irssi to customise how it looks and operates. Plugins are available which add encryption and protocols such as ICQ and XMPP.
Irssi was written primarily to run on Unix-like operating systems, and binaries and packages are available for Gentoo Linux, Slackware, SUSE (openSUSE), Frugalware, Fedora, FreeBSD, OpenBSD, Solaris, and Arch Linux.
Several versions are available for the Unix-based Mac OS X, including a text-mode version using Homebrew, MacPorts, and Fink, and two graphical versions, IrssiX, and MacIrssi. The Cocoa client Colloquy was previously based on Irssi, but it now uses its own IRC core implementation.
- Manual. irssi.org.
- Danen, Vincent (May 5, 2008). "Try IRC with Irssi to communicate via chat". TechRepublic. ZDnetAsia.com. Retrieved 2010-10-18.
- Sirainen, Timo. "About". Irssi.org. Archived from the original on 2001-04-05.
- Van der Gaast, Wilmer (2004). "Enhance irssi with Perl". In Paul Mutton. IRC hacks. O'Reilly Books. p. 84. ISBN 0-596-00687-X.
- SILC encryption plugin. penguin-breeder.org
- FiSH encryption plugin. Secure.la.
- ICQ plugin sourcecode. berlios.de.
- Didier, Colin Jabber/Xmpp plugin. cybione.org.
- Downloads. irssi.org.
- "Arch Linux - Package Database". archlinux.org.
- "Download". Irssi.org. Archived from the original on 2006-11-15.
- Smykil, Jeff (August 21, 2005). "In the Loop with Tim Hatcher". Ars Technica
- Hatcher, Tim (February 11, 2006). "Changeset 3129: Remove Irssi from the project". Colloquy.info.
- Official website
- irssi on Google+
- Irssi at Freecode
- MacIrssi's home page
- Irssix home page
- #irssi on freenode