Irving Convention Center at Las Colinas
|This article is outdated. (May 2013)|
|Irving Convention Center|
Opened in January 2011, the Irving Convention Center is a 275,000 sq ft (25,500 m2) facility located on a 40 acres (16 ha) tract in Las Colinas Urban Center in Irving, Texas. The convention center and the adjoining mixed use entertainment district are bordered on the west by Highway 114, on the east by Las Colinas Boulevard, on the north by Spur 348/Northwest Highway, and to the south by Fuller Drive. The address is 500 West Las Colinas Blvd. Irving, TX 75039.
The facility is designed to serve exhibition, conventions, and meetings and a variety of other events with the focus being primarily on groups of 800 to 1,200 people with a capacity of 4,000 for a general session. The building consists of several levels with an adjacent parking garage. The first floor contains the 50,000 sq ft (4,600 m2) column-free exhibition hall that spans approximately two and half stories in height and includes the main lobby. The second level contains 20 breakout rooms totaling 20,000 sq ft (1,900 m2) as well as the atrium café which extends to an outdoor, shaded terrace. The third level consists of the 20,000 sq ft (1,900 m2) ballroom with pre-function and breakout areas.
In an effort to avoid the traditional convention center appearance and also utilize natural light as much as possible, the Irving Convention Center is designed as two boxes, stacked and rotated to create cantilevered corners that provide several shaded outdoor areas for visitors to use. The majority of the building will be surrounded in glass for natural light and curtained with a perforated copper façade that will age to a natural copper patina for both a unique appearance and to reduce the consumption of energy. The facility will be designed and constructed to pursue LEED certification.
A DART (Dallas Area Rapid Transit) Light Rail Station (Orange Line) will be located in close proximity to the site to service both the Convention Center and the surrounding Las Colinas area. The Irving Convention Center station is scheduled to open in December 2011 with connections to DFW International Airport in December 2013 and also the Dallas Love Field Airport (via the Green Line). There will also be the elevated Las Colinas APT System servicing the Las Colinas area. The multi-level parking garage will provide parking for 800 cars.
|Column Free Exhibit Hall||Ballroom||Breakout Rooms||Total Lease Space||Gross Square Footage|
|50,000 sq ft (4,600 m2)||20,000 sq ft (1,900 m2)||20,000 sq ft (1,900 m2)||90,000 sq ft (8,400 m2)||275,000 sq ft (25,500 m2)|
- Owner: City of Irving/Irving Convention and Visitors Bureau
- Owner's Project Manager: Beck Group
- Architect: RMJM Hillier Architecture
- Construction Manager: Austin Commercial
- Structural Engineer: Datum Engineers
- MEP Engineer: Vanderweil
- Civil Engineer: Jacobs Carter Burgess
- Operators: SMG Worldwide
- Copper Cladding: Zahner
3,500 seat concert venue, 215,000 sq ft (20,000 m2) of restaurants, retail, cinema, and a convention center hotel.
- Albanese, Elizabeth (October 2, 2001). "Deal in Focus: Irving, Tex., Bets on the Future of Mid-Sized Conventions". The Bond Buyer.
- Powell, Lee (October 7, 2001). "Convention center deal OK'd; City set to buy 40-acre site in Las Colinas for complex, hotel". The Dallas Morning News.
- Brock, Katherine Cromer (August 22, 2008). "Third time’s the charm; Now in its third incarnation, the Irving Convention Center is finally moving forward". Dallas Business Journal.
- Formby, Brandon (August 17, 2010). "Irving details financing plans for $250 million entertainment complex in Las Colinas". The Dallas Morning News.
- Tam, Julie (August 28, 2010). "Bronze Building Soon To Be Irving's Centerpiece". KXAS-TV.