Irving J. Rein
Irving Rein is a Professor of Communication Studies at Northwestern University. He is the author of many books on effective communication strategies. In 1993 he joined with Philip Kotler and Donald Haider to write about place marketing. In 2006 Rein and Kotler joined Ben Shields to examine modern sports marketing and communication in The Elusive Fan: Reinventing Sports in a Crowded Marketplace. He is a pioneer in the study of persuasion and influence in popular culture, teaching courses on the subject at Northwestern beginning in the 1960s. He has also written on rhetoric and public communication, celebrity and branding, and crisis management. He was a recipient of the National Speakers Association's Outstanding Professor Award for 1999-2000, and in 2011, received the Clarence Simon Award for Outstanding Teaching and Mentoring in the School of Communication.
- Rein, I. , Kotler, P. , & Shields, B. (2006) The Elusive Fan : Reinventing Sports in a Crowded Marketplace, New York, McGraw-Hill.
- Rein, I. , Kotler, P. , Hamlin, M. , & Stoller, M. (2006) High Visibility : Transforming Your Personal and Professional Brand, (3rd ed.). New York, McGraw-Hill.
- Kotler, P. , Gertner, D. , Rein, I., & Haider, D. (2006) Marketing Latin American and Caribbean Places, Sao Paulo, Pearson Brazil.
- Kotler, P. , Hamlin, M. , Rein, I. , & Haider, D. (2002) Marketing Asian Places, Singapore, John Wiley Asia.
- Kotler, P. , Asplund, C. , Rein, I. , & Haider, D. (1999) Marketing Places Europe, London, Financial Times Prentice Hall.
- Rein, I. , Kotler, P. , & Stoller, M. (1997) High Visibility: The Making and Marketing of Professionals into Celebrities, (2nd ed.), Lincolnwood, Ill., NTC/Contemporary Publishing Company.
- Kotler, P. , Haider, D. , & Rein, I. (1993) Marketing Places: Attracting Investment, Industry, and Tourism to Cities, States, and Nations, New York, The Free Press.
- Rein, I. , Kotler, P. , & Stoller, M. (1987) High Visibility, New York, Dodd Mead.
- Rein, I. (1981) The Public Speaking Book, Glenview, Ill., Scott, Foresman.
- Rein, I. (1976) The Great American Communication Catalogue, Englewood Cliffs, N.J., Prentice-Hall.
- Rein, I. (1972) Rudy's Red Wagon: Communication Strategies in Contemporary Society, Glenview, Ill., Scott, Foresman.
- Rein, I. (1969) The Relevant Rhetoric: Principles of Public Speaking Through Case Studies, New York, The Free Press.
- Irving J. Rein at Northwestern School of Communication