Irving K. Barber Learning Centre
|Irving K. Barber Learning Centre|
The Irving K. Barber Learning Centre (IKBLC) is a facility at the Vancouver campus of the University of British Columbia. The Learning Centre is built around the refurbished core of the 1925 UBC Main Library. The Centre is named for Irving. K. Barber, philanthropist and a graduate of UBC.
Programs and services
The IKBLC provides library systems, education centre, library and a conduit of knowledge for lifelong learners and space for UBC Library's print collection and collections of rare and special materials.
BC history digitization program
Started in 2006, the goal of the digitization program is to promote access to British Columbia's historical resources, with free online access to provincial historical materials.
Webcasts of lectures are archived and accessible through the Multimedia Repository and video sharing.
Chapman Learning Commons
The Chapman Learning Commons, in a refurbished central section of the Learning Centre, provides space for group work as well as seating for individual study. It provides support and services for research and information literacy instruction, writing assistance, learning skills programs and technology through one-to-one help, workshops, peer mentoring and virtual resources and services.
- Collection space for 2,100,000 volumes including open stack shelving and 1,800,000 item capacity with the Automated Storage and Retrieval System (ASRS)
- Rare Books and Special Collections Fort Fraser Reading Room
- Climate-controlled vault for rare books and archives
- The Wallace B. and Madeline H. Chung Collection
- School of Library, Archival, and Information Studies (SLAIS)
- Center for Teaching and Academic Growth (TAG)
- Office of Learning Technology (OLT)
- Gateway Programs – Arts One, Science One, Coordinated Arts and Coordinated Science
- Dodson and Lillooet Rooms
- 157-seat Victoria Learning Theatre
- Classrooms, seminar rooms, project rooms, boardrooms
- Ridington Reading Room and Musqueam Reading Room
- Ike’s Café with a seating capacity of more than 80 people
- Statement of Purpose and Charter of Principles, October 2002, Irving K. Barber learning Centre. Retrieved July 3, 2008
- "UBC opens $80 M modern learning centre". Asian Pacific Post. 2008-04-18. Retrieved 2008-12-12.[dead link]
- Facilities June 5, 2008, Irving K. Barber learning Centre. Retrieved July 3, 2008