Irving Street Chinatown, San Francisco
|Irving Street Chinatown|
|Neighborhood of San Francisco|
|• Board of Supervisors||David Chiu|
|• State Assembly||Tom Ammiano (D)|
|• State Senate||Mark Leno (D)|
|• U.S. House||Nancy Pelosi (D)|
The U.S. city of San Francisco has a "third" Chinatown (Chinese: 第三唐人街; pinyin: dì sān táng rén jiē) located on Irving Street (Chinese: 伊荣街; pinyin: yī róng jiē) between 19th and 27th Avenues in the Sunset District. According to another source, the Irving Street Chinatown is a place for the "wealthy Chinese" According to another source, only the "recent immigrants and the elderly choose to live in Chinatown because of the availability of affordable housing and their familiarity with the culture." According to another source, the name given by locals is "Third Chinatown" on Irving Street. Maxine Cass wrote "... as I write this in San Francisco's Sunset District, its third Chinatown, I have only to walk down the front steps to feel the cool breeze mixed with summer fog." Another author wrote "... the third Chinatown resembles the Oakland and San Francisco Chinese community, bustling with shoppers."
History and Demographics
Originally, Irving Street was called "I Street" as it was part of a sequence that had letters A-W, with H Street being called Lincoln Street. The original residents were almost exclusively European until the 1970s when "people of color" started moving in. Today, the Chinatown is part of the district where people of Chinese descent are the largest group.
- Chinatown, San Francisco
- History of the Chinese Americans in San Francisco
- Clement Street Chinatown, San Francisco
- Noriega Street Chinatown, San Francisco
- Chinatown, Oakland
- Street Advisor, Irving St, Inner Sunset
- Ronal Skeldon. "Reluctant Exiles?: Migration from Hong Kong and the New Overseas Chinese".
- David Haines, Carol Carol Anne Mortland. "Manifest destinies: Americanizing immigrants and internationalizing Americans".
- Estella Habal. "San Francisco's International Hotel: Mobilizing the Filipino American ...".
- Maxine Cass. "It Happened In San Francisco".
- "從金山到千禧的風和雨: Honor the Past, Engage the Present, Build the Future - Page 171".
- Lorri Ungaretti. "San Francisco's Sunset District".