|Wilkinson County and the state of Georgia|
|• Total||3.15 sq mi (8.2 km2)|
|• Land||3.1 sq mi (8.2 km2)|
|• Water||0 sq mi (0 km2)|
|Elevation||450 ft (136 m)|
|• Density||185/sq mi (71.6/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||0315946|
Irwinton is located at .(32.812075, -83.176800)
According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 3.15 square miles (8.2 km2), all of it land.
As of the census of 2010, there were 583 people, 231 households, and 152 families residing in the city. The population density was 185 people per square mile (71.9/km²). There were 271 housing units at an average density of 86.1 per square mile (33.2/km²). The racial makeup of the city was 42.01% White, 57.01% African American, and 0.17% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 0.68% of the population.
There were 231 households out of which 30.7% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 38.1% were married couples living together, 25.1% had a female householder with no husband present, and 33.8% were non-families. 32.5% of all households were made up of individuals and 16.9% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.47 and the average family size was 3.16.
In the city the population was spread out with 25.9% under the age of 18, 10.6% from 18 to 24, 27.4% from 25 to 44, 20.8% from 45 to 64, and 15.3% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 36 years. For every 100 females there were 88.7 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 87.5 males.
The median income for a household in the city was $28,513, and the median income for a family was $32,188. Males had a median income of $29,444 versus $21,154 for females. The per capita income for the city was $13,782. About 14.9% of families and 21.7% of the population were below the poverty line, including 28.6% of those under age 18 and 24.7% of those age 65 or over.
Wilkinson County School District
The Wilkinson County School District holds grades pre-school to grade twelve, that consists of two elementary schools, a middle school, and a high school. The district has 117 full-time teachers and over 1,737 students.
- Wilkinson County Elementary School
- Wilkinson County Primary School
- Wilkinson County Middle School
- Wilkinson County High School
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Find a County". National Association of Counties. Retrieved 2011-06-07.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- Georgia Board of Education, Retrieved June 30, 2010.
- School Stats, Retrieved June 30, 2010.