Is Anybody Out There?
|"Is Anybody Out There?"|
|Single by K'naan featuring Nelly Furtado|
|from the album More Beautiful Than Silence and Country, God or the Girl|
|Released||January 24, 2012|
|Format||Digital download, CD single|
|Genre||Conscious hip hop, pop, rap rock|
|Writer(s)||Keinan Warsame, Edwin Serrano, Nelly Furtado, Melanie Hallim, Denarius Motes, Hasham Hussain|
|Producer(s)||Sham and Motesart|
|K'naan singles chronology|
"Is Anybody Out There?" is a song co-written and performed by Somalia-born rapper K'naan, featuring Canadian singer-songwriter Nelly Furtado, from his first extended play More Beautiful Than Silence. The song was first released as a digital download in the United States on January 24, 2012, before being physically issued in Germany on March 30. The single made its chart debut on the Canadian Hot 100 at #67 and peaked at #14.
"Is Anybody Out There?" was produced by Sham & Motesart. Lyrically, the track speaks about self-assurance, separation, and loneliness. K'naan raps about the character Mary, comparing her to American actress Cameron Diaz; “Something ’bout Mary, never won a pageant / Never felt pretty, never looked like Cameron / Diaz was her last name, always been abandoned / Keep your head up baby girl, this your anthem.” It is the second time the duo have collaborated, the first being "Going Away". The video for "Is Anybody Out There?" was directed by Chris Robinson in Toronto, Ontario, Canada during the first week of February. The plot follows a two characters named Mary and Adam. K'naan narrates their journeys through rap. Mary struggles with her appearance and being judged by her peers. Adam struggles with drugs and a father who is never there for him. K'naan and Furtado are shot in a separate scene located in the desolate woods.
"Is Anybody Out There?" obtained mixed reviews by its critics. The track received negative reviews by Jody Rosen of Rolling Stone. Rosen gave the collaboration a mere one and a half out of five stars, criticizing the song's lyrical content.
- Digital download
- "Is Anybody Out There?" — 3:58
- CD single
- "Is Anybody Out There?" — 3:58
- "Is Anybody Out There?" (Cutmore Radio Edit) — 3:27
|Austria (Ö3 Austria Top 40)||7|
|Belgium (Ultratip Flanders)||10|
|Belgium (Ultratip Wallonia)||19|
|Canada (Canadian Hot 100)||14|
|Czech Republic (Rádio Top 100)||24|
|Germany (Media Control Charts)||11|
|Hungary (Rádiós Top 40)||30|
|Netherlands (Dutch Top 40)||15|
|New Zealand (Recorded Music NZ)||1|
|Slovakia (Rádio Top 100)||15|
|Switzerland (Schweizer Hitparade)||20|
|US Billboard Hot 100||92|
|US Pop Songs (Billboard)||27|
- "Austriancharts.at – K'naan feat. Nelly Furtado – Is Anybody Out There?" (in German). Ö3 Austria Top 40.
- "Ultratop.be – K'naan feat. Nelly Furtado – Is Anybody Out There?" (in Dutch). Ultratip.
- "Ultratop.be – K'naan feat. Nelly Furtado – Is Anybody Out There?" (in French). Ultratip.
- "ČNS IFPI" (in Czech). Hitparáda – Radio Top 100 Oficiální. IFPI Czech Republic. Note: insert 201211 into search.
- "Chartverfulgong > K'naan feat. Nelly Furtado > Is Anybody Out There? – musicline.de" (in German). Media Control Charts. PhonoNet GmbH.
- "Archívum – Slágerlisták – MAHASZ" (in Hungarian). Rádiós Top 40 játszási lista. Magyar Hanglemezkiadók Szövetsége.
- "Nederlandse Top 40 – K'naan feat. Nelly Furtado search results" (in Dutch) Dutch Top 40.
- "Charts.org.nz – K'naan feat. Nelly Furtado – Is Anybody Out There?". Top 40 Singles.
- "SNS IFPI" (in Slovak). Hitparáda – Radio Top 100 Oficiálna. IFPI Czech Republic. Note: insert 201208 into search.
- "Swisscharts.com – K'naan feat. Nelly Furtado – Is Anybody Out There?". Swiss Singles Chart.