Isabel M. M. Abranches de Soveral (born 1961, Oporto) is a Portuguese composer. She studied at the Portuguese National Conservatoire with the composers Jorge Peixinho and Joly Braga Santos with a scholarship from the Calouste Gulbenkian Foundation. In 1988, she attended the State University of New York at Stony Brook, where she studied under Daria Semegen and Bulent Arel, with support from the Gulbenkian, Luso-American Foundation and Fulbright Foundations in order to complete the university's master's and doctoral programmes.
During her studies in Stony Brook, she began working with electronic material in her cycle Metamorphoses, which includes the work Quadramorphosis for four percussionists and electronics, and the series Anamorphoses, which includes a number of pieces with electronics. Her music has been performed in Portugal, Spain, France, Italy, Hungary, Austria, Switzerland, Poland, Hong Kong, Macau, Argentina, Brazil, Cuba and the United States of America. She currently teaches composition and musical analysis in the Department of Communication and Art at the University of Aveiro.
- Quarteto, 1984.
- Fragmentos, 1985.
- Contornos I, 1987.
- Un soir j'ai assis la Beauté sur mes genoux - Et je l'ai trouvée amère, 1998.
- Inscriptions sur une Peinture, 1998.
- Anamorphoses III, 1999.
- Image I, solo marimba, 2000.
- Anamorphoses Cycle, 2002.
- Anamorphoses VII, 2002.
- Mémoires d’Automne Cycle, 2003.
- Trama, 2005.
- Paradeisoi, 2007.
- Le Navigateur du Soleil Incandescent Cycle, 2005-2009: Première Lettre, viola and piano; Deuxième Lettre, counter-tenor, chorus and orchestra; Troisième Lettre, solo voice, orchestra and electronics; Quatrième Lettre.
- Cycle Shakespeare for soprano and electronics, 2007-2009: “Since Brass nor stone...”; “...Why write I still all one, ever the same, and keep invention in a noted weed”.
- Ferreira, António: Miso Music Portugal: A History of Electroacoustic Music in Portugal [www.cime-icem.net/Doc/Portugal.doc], accessed 8 February 2010
- Mention of Soveral's Anamorphoses (1994), accessed 8 February 2010
- Ideias soltas site (Portuguese), accessed 8 February 2010
- Soveral recording online, accessed 8 February 2010
|This article about a Portuguese composer is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|