|Directed by||S. J. Surya|
|Produced by||Victor Raj Pandian|
|Written by||S. J. Surya|
|Music by||S. J. Surya|
Isai (English: Music) is a 2013 Tamil film written and directed by S. J. Surya. The film stars himself in the lead role with debutant Savithri, while Surya also composes the film's music score. This film, which is touted to be of a new genre musical-thriller, went on the floors from 25 May 2012.
- S. J. Surya as A. K. Shiva
- Savithri as Jenny
- Sathyaraj as Vetriselvan
- Gibran Osman
- Thambi Ramaiah
- Ganja Karuppu
- M. S. Bhaskar
- Sharad KRG
- Vishnuvardhan in a cameo appearance
The project was announced by S. J. Surya in 2004 shortly after the release of New, when he revealed that A. R. Rahman would also collaborate for three of his future ventures titled Anbulla Nanbane, Aezhumazhai vs Chitra with Silambarasan and Asin and Isai. While the first film released as Anbe Aaruyire in 2005, the latter two failed to progress. In January 2006, the film was reported to be back under way with either S. S. Chakravarthy or Navodaya Appachan being producer and it was suggested that the film would be about a "cunning assistant music director comes to the top". Other reports had also suggested that the film told the tale of the tensions between South Indian musicians Ilaiyaraaja and A. R. Rahman. However the failures of S. J. Surya's films Vyapari and Thirumagan prompted Rahman reconsider his involvement in the project and subsequently opted out from the project in 2007.
In 2011, Surya announced that the film would restart and he would compose the film himself, describing it as a "musical". Reports suggested that Lakshmi Rai, who had back to back successes in 2011 with Kanchana and Mankatha would play the female lead role but Surya subsequently denied this stating that he had been auditioning newcomers in Mumbai for the role. In May 2012, the film's first look posters were finally revealed, with Sulagna Panigrahi, an Oriya and Indian television and film actress in the leading role under the new name Savithri, who had made her Bollywood debut in the 2011 thriller Murder 2. The director confirmed that Prakash Raj, Ganja Karuppu and M. S. Bhaskar will feature in supporting roles. Prakash Raj left the project in January 2013 as a result of a busy schedule. Attempts to sign Gangai Amaren to replace him also proved to be unsuccessful. After a brief stall in the shoot, Sathyaraj was signed on to play the role, with Surya confirming that the film would be based on a tiff between two music composers.
- Isai - Tamil Movie Reviews, Trailers, Wallpapers, Photos, Cast & Crew, Story & Synopsis - entertainment.oneindia.in
- A R Rahman and his Tamil projects in future
- Tamil movies : A R Rahman to give his best for Isai
- Tamil Movie News s.j.surya a.r rahman thirumagan vyabari new tamil movie gallery images
- Sj Suryah To Make Beautiful Music! - Sj Suryah - Isai - Ar Rahman - Tamil Movie News - Behindwoods.com
- SJ Suryah returns - Tamil Movie News
- SJ Surya: I'm introducing a promising newbie in 'Isai' - Exclusive - Tamil Movie News
- "Suryah’s Isai to roll". Behindwoods. 23 May 2012. Retrieved 23 May 2012.
- A busy Prakash Raj says No, Isai, Prakash Raj
- Now, Sathyaraj plays Isai Vendan - Times Of India