Ishtiaq Ahmed (political scientist)
|Born||February 24, 1947
Lahore, Punjab, British India, Present-day Pakistan
|Institutions||has retired and now works as a consultant.|
|Alma mater||University of Stockholm
University of the Punjab, Lahore
Forman Christian College
St. Anthony's High School, Lahore
Ishtiaq Ahmed (born 24 February 1947, in Lahore, British India) is a Swedish political scientist and author of Pakistani descent. He is Professor Emeritus of Political Science at Stockholm University. He is also Honorary Senior Fellow of the Institute of South Asian Studies at the National University of Singapore. He was a Visiting Research Professor at the Institute of South Asian Studies (ISAS), National University of Singapore and at the South Asian Studies Programme, National University of Singapore from June 2007 to June 2010. .
He is member of the editorial advisory boards of "Asian Ethnicity";"Journal of Punjab Studies"; "IPRI Journal, Islamabad"; "India Quarterly" and "PIPS Research Journal of Conflict and Peace Studies, Islamabad".
Ahmed received his doctorate from the University of Stockholm in 1986, where he taught a range of courses from the basic to the doctoral levels. Besides teaching mainstream subjects such as political theory he also lectured and wrote on the politics of South Asia (mainly Pakistan and India, but also Bangladesh and Sri Lanka), political Islam in various contexts and in world politics, human rights, multiculturalism and on ethnicity, identity and nationalism.
- 2013, Pakistan: The Garrison State, Origins, Evolution, Consequences (1947-2011), Karachi: Oxford University Press.
- 2012, The Punjab Bloodied, Partitioned and Cleansed: Unravelling the 1947 Tragedy through Secret British Reports and First-Person Account, Karachi: Oxford University Press.
- 2011, The Punjab Bloodied, Partitioned and Cleansed: Unravelling the 1947 Tragedy through Secret British Reports and First Person Accounts, New Delhi: Rupa Publications.
- 2011, The Politics of Religion in South and Southeast Asia (ed.), London: Routledge.
- 2005, The Politics of Group Rights. The State and Multiculturalism (ed.), Lanham, Maryland: University Press of America.
- 1996, State, Nation, and Ethnicity in Contemporary South Asia, London and New York: Pinter Publishers. Hardback. In 1998 a paper back edition was published. It included a new section: 'A South Asian Charter of Human Rights'.
- 1987, The Concept of an Islamic State: An Analysis of the Ideological Controversy in Pakistan (a revised version of the doctoral dissertation from 1985), Frances Pinter (Publishers), London and St. Martin's Press, New York, April 1987. It was reprinted in 1991 under the title The Concept of an Islamic State in Pakistan: An Analysis of Ideological Controversies, Lahore: Vanguard Publishers.
Publications (selection) 
- 2012, 34 entries in the Oxford Companion to Pakistani History edited by Ayesha Jalal, Karachi: Oxford University Press.
- 2012, 'The India-Pakistan Imbroglio', FPRC Journal, Focus: India and South Asia, J-9-2012 (i), New Delhi: Foreign Policy Research Centre.
- 2012, 'The Lahore Film Industry: A Historical Sketch' in Anjali Gera Roy and Chua Beng Huat (eds.), Travels of Bollywood Cinema: From Bombay to LA, New Delhi: Oxford University Press.
- 2011, ‘The Politics of Culture in an Ideological State’, Sohbet, Journal of Contemporary Arts and Culture, Issue No. Two, Lahore: Joint publication of The National College of Arts and Oneninetwo.
- 2010, 'The Rise and Fall of the Left and the Maoist Movements in Pakistan', India Quarterly, 66/3, September, 2010.
- 2010,‘The Pakistan Islamic State Project: A Secular Critique’ in Michael Heng Siam-Heng and Ten Chin Liew (eds), State and Secularism: Perspectives from Asia, Singapore: World Scientific Publishers Co. Pte. Ltd.
- 2009, 'Politicized Religion in Illiberal South Asian Contexts: The Cases of India and Pakistan' in South Asian Review, Volume 30, Number 1, September/October 2009.
- 2009, ‘Radicalization and De-Radicalization in Singapore and Pakistan: A Comparison’ in A PIPS Research Journal Conflict and Peace Studies, Volume 2, Jul-Sep 2009, Number 3, Islamabad: Pak Institute for Peace Studies (PIPS).
- 2009, ‘The Spectre of Islamic Fundamentalism over Pakistan (1947-2007)' in Rajshree Jetly (ed.), Pakistan in Regional and Global Politics, London, New York, New Delhi: Routledge.
- 2008, ‘European and Indian Nation-building: The Position of Religious Communities in India’ in Jayanta Kumar Ray and Arpita Basu Roy (eds.), The Roles of Religious Communities in India, Stockholm: Institute of Development Policy and Kolkata: Maulana Abul Kalam Azad Institute.
- 2008, ‘Religious Minorities in the European Union and Pakistan: Historical Comparisons’ in Pervaiz Iqbal Cheema, Maqsudul Hasan Nuri, Brig (retd) Muneer Mahmud and Khalid Hussain (eds.), The Political Role of Religious Communities in Pakistan, Islamabad: Islamabad Policy and Research Institute.
- 2008, ‘Pakistan’s National Identity’ in International Review of Modern Sociology, Volume 34, No. 1. Spring 2008.
- 2007, Group Representation in a Democracy’, in Utsikt mot utveckling 29, Equal Representation. A Challenge to Democracy and Democracy Promotion, pp. 73–90. Collegium for Development Studies, Uppsala University.
- 2007, ‘The Cultural and Political heritage of Sri Lanka’, in Utsikt mot utveckling 29, Equal Representation. A Challenge to Democracy and Democracy Promotion, pp. 119–130. Collegium for Development Studies, Uppsala University 2007.
- 2006, "The Lahore Effect", in Seminar, No 567, November 2006, Delhi, India, pp. 29–37.
- 2006, "Globalisering och fredsrörelsen i diasporan: Provsprängningarna av kärnvapen i Sydasien 1998" in Maria Borgström and Katrin Goldstein-Kyaga (eds.), Gränsöverskridande identiteter i globaliseringens tid: Ungdomar, migration och kampen för fred, Huddinge: Södertörns högskola, 2006, pp. 169–196.
- 2006, "Punjabi identities: Before and after the 1947 Partition of the Punjab", in Troubled Times. Sustainable Development and Governance in the Age of Extremes. SDPI/Sama Editorial and Publishing Services, 2006. pp. 374–390 (pdf)
- 2005, "Globalization and Free Trade", in Harris Ben Munawar (ed.) The RAVI 2005, Vol. XCII, pp. 47–48 (pdf)
- 2005, The Politics of Group Rights. The State and Multiculturalism (ed), University Press of America.
- 2004, "Pakistan, Democracy, Islam and Secularism: A Phantasmagoria of Conflicting Muslim Aspirations", in Oriente Moderno, No. 1/2004, vol. XXIII, (LXXXIV). The article is available as a Word document.
- 2004 'Forced Migration and Ethnic Cleansing in Lahore in 1947: Some First Person Acoounts', in Ian Talbot & Shinder Thandi (eds), People on The Move, Punjabi Colonial, and Post-Colonial Migration, Oxford University Press.
- 2004, 'Contours of Regional Cooperation: Peoples-to-Peoples Contacts and Parliamentary Initiatives', in Searching for Common Ground in South Asia. A Report of a CPAS-SIPSIR.
- 2004, Workshop 'New Initiatives for Risk Reduction on Unsettled Asian Borders', Center for Pacific Asia Studies, Stockholm University, 2004.
- 2003,'Muslim Nationalism, Pakistan and the Rise of Fundamentalism', Research Report 4, February 2003, Department of Oriental Languages, Department of Political Science, Stockholm University, 24 sidor, 2003.
- 2002, 'Comments' (on two papers, presented at a seminar on East Timor, Stockholm, 21 May 2002. East Timor nationbuilding in the 21st Century. Stockholm 2002.
- 2002,The Kashmir Dispute, December 2002, in Politologen.
- 2002, 'The Fundamentalist Dimension in the Pakistan Movement' in Friday Times, Lahore, November 22, 2002
- 2002, 'Looking Backwards into the Future: A Critique of Islamism Modernism’ in Journal of Futures Studies,Vol. 7, No. 2.
- 2002, 'Globalisation and Human Rights in Pakistan' (published in International Journal of Punjab Studies, Vol. 9, Number 1, January–June 2002.
- 2002, The 1947 Partition of India (published in Asian Ethnicity, Volume 3, Number 1, March 2002).
- 2002, ‘Pågår krig mellan islam och kristendom?’ in Folk och Försvar, No. 2, 2002.
- Entry with the University of Stockholm's homepage
- Pakistani Swedish
- Complete list of publications
- Malaysia’s ethno-religious minorities by I. Ahmed, Daily Times, September 19, 2006
- Desegregation of the sexes and promiscuity by I. Ahmed, Daily Times, June 27, 2006
- Convoluted hypocrisy and extremism by I. Ahmed, Daily Times, May 30, 2006
- Must Islam uphold barbarism? by I. Ahmed, Daily Times, April 4, 2006
- West should remain secular and democratic by I. Ahmed, Daily Times, February 21, 2006
- The limits of intellectual influence by I. Ahmed, Daily Times, January 3, 2006
- Islam and the challenge of modernity by I. Ahmed, Daily Times, December 6, 2005
- West and East Punjab agriculture — a comparison by I. Ahmed, Daily Times, February 8, 2005
- No to extremist Islam by I. Ahmed, Daily Times, October 12, 2004
- Islam and human rights by I. Ahmed, Daily Times, August 17, 2003
- Op-ed: Cultural relativism of human rights by I. Ahmed, Daily Times, August 10, 2003