|Also known as||Isidingo: The Need|
|Created by||Gray Hofmeyr|
|Written by||Rohan Dickson (Head writer)|
|Directed by||Raymond Sargeant
|Theme music composer||Siva Devar|
|Country of origin||South Africa|
|Original language(s)||English (including a mix of various other South African languages)|
|No. of seasons||17 seasons, 1998–present|
|No. of episodes||3,926 (as of June 2014)|
|Executive producer(s)||Pumla Hopa|
|Cinematography||Kobus Van Niekerk|
|Running time||24 minutes|
|Original channel||SABC 3|
|Original release||7 July 1998 – present|
|Preceded by||The Villagers|
Isidingo: The Need is a South African soap opera, with dialogue mostly in English. The series premiered on SABC 3 in July 1998 and is broadcast evenings on SABC 3 from Monday to Friday at 19:30. It now uses the title Isidingo, having dropped "The Need" in 2001.
|This section is outdated. (January 2015)|
The main characters include the Haines family, the Matabanes, Vusi Moletsane the mine manager and the various residents of the boarding house owned by Maggie Webster. Barker Haines, owner of ON TV, is a high-living billionaire who often schemes his way into the lives of various people in and out of the mining town Horizon Deep, notably his daughter Leone. The Matabanes are a close-knit family who comprise a stronghold, of sorts, in the populace of Horizon Deep, with Zebedee as the patriarch. Other central characters are Lolly De Klerk, Frank Xavier, Parsons Matibane, Georgie Zamdela and Calvin Xavier.
List of characters
- Barker Haines (Robert Whitehead)
- Benjamin le Roux (Arno Marais)
- Bradley Haines (Izak Davel)
- Calvin Xavier (Maurice Page)
- Charlie Holmes (Michaella Russell)
- Frank Xavier (Kevin Smith)
- Katlego Sibeko (Kgomotso Christopher)
- Lerato Tsotetsi (Tema Sebopedi)
- Lincoln Sibeko (Lindani Nkosi)
- Nikiwe Sibeko (Linda Sokhulu)
- Priya Kumar (Leeanda Reddy)
- Rajesh Kumar (Jack Devnarain)
- Sechaba Moloi (Motlatsi Mafatshe)
- Sizwe Zondile (Jet Novuka)
- S'khumbuzo Nzimande (Sisa Hewana)
- Zukisa Zondile (Noluthando Neje)
- Georgie Zamdela (Darlington Michaels)
- Yvette (Charmaine Weir Smith)
Notable former characters
- Agnes Matabane (Keketso Semoko)
- Ayanda Diale (Letoya Mangezi)
- Cherel de Villiers (Michelle Botes)
- Derek Nyati (Hlomla Dandala)
- Dusty da Silva (Milan Murray)
- Harriet Thompson (Grethe Fox)
- Joey Ortlepp (Nathalie Boltt)
- Len Cooper (Chris Beasley)
- Kimberly Lewis (Marisa Drummond)
- Kyle Ortlepp (Owen Meyer)
- Kieran Harriman (McGregor)
- Leone Haines (Ashley Callie)
- Lesedi Maloi (Gugulethu Zuma)
- Letti Matabane (Lesego Motsepe)
- Lolly van Onselen (Kim Engelbrecht)
- Maggie Webster (Karin Van Der Laag)
- Nandipha Sithole (Hlubi Mboya)
- Natasha Wallace (Jo da Silva)
- Parsons Matabane (Tshepo Maseko)
- Paul McPherson (Carl Beukes)
- Erin McPherson (Tessa Jubber) – 2005
- Philippa de Villiers (Bianca Amato) – 1998–2001
- Pradashan Naiker
- Sean Kumar (Silvem Pillai)
- Siyanda Mazibuko
- Stella Fouche (Judy Ditchfield)
- Steve Stethakis (Emmanuel Castis)
- Stuart Buller (Colin Moss) – 1998–2000
- Ted Dixon (Clive Scott)
- Tim Wilson (Nathan Ro)
- Tommy "Mad Dog" McCulum (David James) – 2004–2006
- Vusi Moletsane (Meshack Mavuso)
- Yvette Meyer (Shannon Esra) – 2004
- Zak (Fikile Mthwalo)
- Zebedee Matabane (Don Mlangeni)
- Parsons Matabane
- Dr McNamara (Mary Ann Barlow)
Major character exits
Actress Michelle Botes, who had played villainess Cherel De Villiers since Isidingo's 1998 debut, announced her imminent departure from the series in October 2006, a week after being "snubbed" by The South African Television Awards (though Isidingo had taken home the most awards). Botes next portrayed Ingrid in the rival soap Binnelanders, which directly competes with Isidingo on the pay-channel M-Net. She returned to Isidingo from 2010 to 2013.
Soon after winning Best Actress Award at the South African Film and Television Awards for her portrayal of Leone Haines, 32-year-old actress Ashley Callie died following a car accident in February 2005. The role was not recast, and the character was killed off-screen.
Six months after Callie's death, the series killed off original character Letti Matabane (played by actress Lesego Motsepe) in a similar car accident, prompting a "nationwide outpouring of grief".
- "Isidingo". TVSA.co.za. The South African TV Authority. Archived from the original on 6 December 2014. Retrieved 6 December 2014.
- Willoughby, Guy (28 April 2006). "Isidingo's lustre will never fade while Barker remains his nasty self". Tonight. Independent News & Media. Archived from the original on 20 October 2008. Retrieved 6 December 2014.
- Engelbrecht, Gerda (19 October 2009). "Michelle Botes: Elegant and charming". Channel24.co.za. Retrieved 6 December 2014.
- "Isidingo actress Ashley Callie dies". Mail & Guardian. 15 February 2008. Retrieved 6 December 2014.
- Xulu, Nomfundo (19 February 2008). "Isidingo won't replace Ashley". The Times. Retrieved 6 December 2014.
- Kennedy, Christina (23 January 2014). "OBITUARY: Lesego Motsepe". Financial Mail. Retrieved 6 December 2014.