Isimba Power Station
|Isimba Power Station|
|Location||Isimba, Kamuli District|
|Opening date||2018 (Expected)|
|Construction cost||US$590 million|
|Dam and spillways|
|Installed capacity||183.2 MW|
The power station is a 183 MW hydroelectric power plant that is under construction across the Victoria Nile, downstream of the Bujagali Power Station. The contract for feasibility studies and structure design, worth US $3.8 million, was awarded to a consortium consisting of the engineering firms Fichtner and NORPLAN. The local Ugandan company, Kagga & Partners, was a sub-consultant to the consortium. Their report became available in late 2010. Initial planned capacity at Isimba was 100 megawatts (130,000 hp).
In July 2013, Ugandan print media indicated that the construction contract had been awarded to the China International Water and Electric Corporation, a Chinese government-owned firm. The generation capacity had also been increased to 183.2 megawatts. Construction began on 6 October 2013 and is expected to last approximately four years.
The total project cost was originally estimated at US $350 million, including the construction of power transmission lines connecting the new power station to the national power grid at Bujagali Power Station. In 2008, the Ugandan Government secured a loan from Exim Bank of India to fund the construction. In April 2013, Ugandan print media reported that the government of India had extended a credit line worth US $415 for construction of the dam. In July 2013, media reports indicated that the cost of the dam had risen to US $570 million, funded by a loan from the Export-Import Bank of China. In March 2015, the Ugandan Parliament authorized the Ugandan government to borrow US$482.5 million (about UShs1.4 trillion) from China Exim Bank at 2% annual interest repayable over 20 years, with a five-year grace period. Uganda will contribute the remaining US$107 million to the project, for a total cost of $589.5 million.
- List of power stations in Uganda
- List of hydropower stations in Africa
- List of hydroelectric power stations
- Kayunga District
- Nelson Wesonga, and Yasiin Mugerwa (15 March 2015). "Parliament Okays UShs1.4 Trillion Loan for Isimba Hydropower Deal". Daily Monitor (Kampala). Retrieved 15 March 2015.
- Kasita, Ibrahim (18 May 2009). "Uganda: German Firm Gets Sh8 Billion Isimba Power Deal". New Vision via AllAfrica.com.
- Tajuba, Paul (28 July 2013). "Government Awards Chinese Company Isimba Hydropower Project". Daily Monitor. Retrieved May 2014.
- Musingo, Doreen (23 October 2011). "Government To Build Power Dam In Kamuli District". New Vision. Retrieved 7 May 2014.
- "Approximate Distance Between Bujagali Power Station And Isimba Power Station With Map". Globefeed.com. Retrieved 7 May 2014.
- Kasita, Ibrahim (6 October 2013). "Museveni Flags-off Construction of Isimba Dam". New Vision. Retrieved 7 May 2014.
- Howe, Marc (10 October 2013). "Chinese Begin Work On Uganda’s $500M Hydropower Plant". Sourceable.net. Retrieved 7 May 2014.
- Joint Report, . (5 October 2013). "Uganda Kicks Off Construction of Isimba Plant". The EastAfrican (Nairobi). Retrieved 10 December 2014.
- "India Gives $350m for Isimba Dam". ESI Africa Magazine (South Africa). 30 May 2008. Retrieved 7 May 2014.
- Kulabako, Faridah (22 April 2013). "India To Give Shs1.1 Trillion for Isimba Hydro Plant". Daily Monitor. Retrieved 7 May 2014.
- Bwambale, Taddeo (30 July 2013). "Uganda Awards Another Hydro-electric Project To Chinese Firm". New Vision. Retrieved 7 May 2014.
- Staff Reporter, China (5 August 2014). "Chinese To Fund And Build Uganda's Isimba Hydroelectric Dam". Asian-Power.Com. Retrieved 7 May 2014.
- Vision Reporter, . (7 August 2014). "Isimba Dam Construction Commences". New Vision (Kampala). Retrieved 10 December 2014.
- Construction of Isimba Power Station Expected to Commence Once Bujagali Power Station Is Complete
- Isimba Hydropower Dam Is Second Chinese Power Project In Uganda During 2013
- Chinese Firm To Build Uganda's Isimba Hydro-electric Dam