Isimba Power Station
|Isimba Power Station|
|Location||Isimba, Kamuli District, Uganda|
|Commission date||2017 (Expected)|
|Nameplate capacity||183 MW|
The Power Station is located at the village of Isimba, on the Victoria Nile, in Kamuli District. This location lies approximately 40 kilometres (25 mi), downstream of Bujagali Power Station. The approximate coordinates of the power station are:0° 49' 21.00"N, 33° 01' 55.00"E (Latitude:0.822500; Longitude:33.031950).
Isimba Power Station is a 183 MW hydroelectric power plant that is under construction across the Victoria Nile, downstream of Bujagali Power Station. The contract for feasibility studies and structure design, worth US$3.8 million was awarded to a consortium consisting of the engineering firms Fichtner and NORPLAN. The local Ugandan company, Kagga & Partners, is a sub-consultant to the consortium. Their report became available in late 2010. Initial Planned Capacity At Isimba Was 100MW.
In July 2013, Ugandan print media indicated that the construction contract had been awarded to China International Water and Electric Corporation (CWEC), a government-owned Chinese firm. The generation capacity has also been increased to 183.2 Megawatts. Construction began on 6 October 2013 and is expected to last approximately four years.
The total project was originally estimated at US$350 million, including the construction of power transmission lines connecting Isimba Power Station to the national power grid at Bujagali Power Station. In 2008, the Uganda Government, secured a loan from the Exim Bank of India to fund the construction. In April 2013, Ugandan print media reported that the Indian government had extended a credit line worth US$415 for the construction of the dam.
- List of power stations in Uganda
- List of hydropower stations in Africa
- List of hydroelectric power stations
- Kamuli District
- Newvision, Reporter (10 September 2013). "Uganda Says To Double Power Grid In 4 Years". New Vision. Retrieved 7 May 2014.
- Kasita, Ibrahim (18 May 2009). "Uganda: German Firm Gets Sh8 Billion Isimba Power Deal". New Vision via AllAfrica.com.
- Tajuba, Paul (28 July 2013). "Government Awards Chinese Company Isimba Hydropower Project". Daily Monitor. Retrieved May 2014.
- Musingo, Doreen (23 October 2011). "Government To Build Power Dam In Kamuli District". New Vision. Retrieved 7 May 2014.
- "Approximate Distance Between Bujagali Power Station And Isimba Power Station With Map". Globefeed.com. Retrieved 7 May 2014.
- "Location of Isimba Power Station At Google Maps". Google Maps. Retrieved 7 May 2014.
- Kasita, Ibrahim (6 October 2013). "Museveni Flags-off Construction of Isimba Dam". New Vision. Retrieved 7 May 2014.
- Howe, Marc (10 October 2013). "Chinese Begin Work On Uganda’s $500M Hydropower Plant". Sourceable.net. Retrieved 7 May 2014.
- "India Gives $350m for Isimba Dam". ESI Africa Magazine (South Africa). 30 May 2008. Retrieved 7 May 2014.
- Kulabako, Faridah (22 April 2013). "India To Give Shs1.1 Trillion for Isimba Hydro Plant". Daily Monitor. Retrieved 7 May 2014.
- Bwambale, Taddeo (30 July 2013). "Uganda Awards Another Hydro-electric Project To Chinese Firm". New Vision. Retrieved 7 May 2014.
- Staff Reporter, China (5 August 2014). "Chinese To Fund And Build Uganda's Isimba Hydroelectric Dam". Asian-power.com. Retrieved 7 May 2014.
- Estimated Location of Isimba Power Station At Google Maps
- Construction Underway As of October 2013
- Isimba Dam Construction Commences
- Construction of Isimba Power Station Expected to Commence Once Bujagali Power Station Is Complete
- Isimba Hydropower Dam Is Second Chinese Power Project In Uganda During 2013
- Chinese Firm To Build Uganda's Isimba Hydro-electric Dam