Isimba Power Station
|Isimba Power Station|
|Location||Isimba, Kamuli District, Uganda|
|Commission date||2018 (Expected)|
The Power Station is located at the village of Isimba, on the Victoria Nile, in Kamuli District. This location lies approximately 40 kilometres (25 mi), downstream of Bujagali Power Station. The approximate coordinates of the power station are:0° 49' 30.00"N, 33° 01' 48.00"E (Latitude:0.8250; Longitude:33.0300). The coordinates are estimates because the power station does not yet appear on most publicly available maps as of July 2013.
Isimba Power Station is a 183 MW hydroelectric power plant that is under construction across the Victoria Nile, downstream of Bujagali Power Station. The contract for feasibility studies and structure design, worth US$3.8 million was awarded to a consortium consisting of the engineering firms Fichtner and NORPLAN. The local Ugandan company, Kagga & Partners, is a sub-consultant to the consortium. Their report became available in late 2010.
In July 2013, Ugandan print media indicated that the construction contract had been awarded to China International Water and Electric Corporation (CWEC), a Chinese firm. The generation capacity has also been increased to 183.2 Megawatts. Construction began on 6 October 2013 and is expected to last approximately four years.
The total project was originally estimated at US$350 million, including the construction of power transmission lines connecting Isimba Power Station to the national power grid at Bujagali Power Station. In 2008, the Uganda Government, secured a loan from the Exim Bank of India to fund the construction. In April 2013, Ugandan print media reported that the Indian government had extended a credit line worth US$415 for the construction of the dam. In July 2013, media reports indicated that the cost of the dam had risen to US$570 million, funded by a loan from the Export-Import Bank of China.
- Estimated Location of Isimba Power Station At Google Maps
- Construction Underway As of October 2013
- Construction of Isimba Power Station Expected to Commence Once Bujagali Power Station Is Complete
- Isimba Hydropower Dam Is Second Chinese Power Project In Uganda During 2013
- Chinese Firm To Build Uganda's Isimba Hydro-electric Dam
- List of power stations in Uganda
- List of hydropower stations in Africa
- List of hydroelectric power stations
- Kamuli District
- Construction Started In 2013
- Feasibility Studies Carried Out In 2009
- Isimba Dam Capacity Increased To 188 Megawatts
- Isimba Is Located In Kamuli District
- Approximate Distance Between Bujagali Power Station And Isimba Power Station With Map
- Initial Planned Capacity At Isimba Was 100MW
- Construction of Isimba Dam Started In October 2013
- Chinese Firm Begins Work On Isimba Power Station
- Exim Bank of India Lends Uganda US$350 Million for Isimba
- India To Lend US$450 For Isimba Power Plant
- Isimba Dam Construction Estimated At Five Hundred Seventy Million Dollars
- Chinese To Fund And Build Uganda's Isimba Hydroelectric Dam