Isla (given name)
|Region of origin||Great Britain or Spanish|
|Related names||Isela, Islay|
|Look up Isla in Wiktionary, the free dictionary.|
Isla (// EYE-lə) is a feminine given name of primarily Scottish usage, derived from "Islay", which is the name of an island off the west coast of Scotland. It is also the name of two Scottish rivers. It was the fifth most popular name for baby girls born in Scotland in 2010 and the 70th most popular name for girls born in England and Wales in 2007. It was among the top 10 names given to girls born on the Isle of Man in 2009 and one of the top five names for girls born in Guernsey in 2010. It ranked 6th for girls born in New Zealand in 2013. It appeared in the top 1,000 names for girls in the United States for the first time in 2008, when it ranked in 619th place. It jumped 273 places to 346th place for girls born in the United States in 2009, to No. 297 in 2010, and to No. 268 in 2011.
The name in its original form was Ilay or Islay (e.g. Ilay Campbell), and it was a masculine given name, and was rare among women. Today Isla is regarded as a distinctly female name and Islay a rare male name. Other forms of the girls' name derived from alternate historical spellings of the Scottish island's name include Ile and Ila.
Bearers of the name
- Isla Blair (born 1944), British actress
- Isla Cameron (c. 1930–1980), Scottish actress and singer
- Isla Fisher (born 1976), Australian actress
- Isla Hitchens (née Black), fictional character in J. K. Rowling's Harry Potter series
- Ila Loetscher, early 20th century women's aviation pioneer and explorer
- Isla Phillips (born 2012), great-granddaughter of Queen Elizabeth II
- Isla St Clair (born 1952), Scottish actress and singer
- Isla Traquair (born 1980), Scottish broadcast journalist
- Isla Sitwell (1840-1908), author of Poppy and In Far Japan. Her real name was Sidney Mary Beckwith Sitwell (née Wilson) and she actually used her husband's forename.
- Behind the Name
- Hugh Montgomery-Masssingberd (ed.). Burke's Landed Gentry (1972 ed.). p. 828.
|This page or section lists people that share the same given name. If an internal link led you here, you may wish to change that link to point directly to the intended article.|