Islamic Azad University
|Islamic Azad University|
دانشگاه آزاد اسلامیDāneshgāh-e Āzād-e Eslāmi
Seal of Islamic Azad University
|Motto||آرمان ایرانی برای جهانی شدن (Persian)|
Motto in English
|Iranian Aspirations for Globalization|
|Type||Private University System|
|56,000 (as of 2014) |
|Students||1,636,000 (as of 2014) |
|Campus||100+ campuses under direct administration|
|Colours||Dark and light Blue ‹See Tfm›‹See Tfm›|
|Athletics||Azad University of Tehran Basketball Club
Azad University of Tehran Cycling Club
|Sports||Azad University Giant Team|
|Affiliations||Islamic Azad University System
The Islamic Azad University (IAU) (Persian: دانشگاه آزاد اسلامی, Dāneshgāh-e Āzād-e Eslāmi), commonly referred to as Azad University is the world's third largest university, and world's largest private university system. The university is based in Iran.
Headquartered in Tehran, Iran, the Islamic Azad University was founded in 1982 and established by Akbar Hashemi Rafsanjani, currently has an enrollment of 1.5 million students, making it the world's third largest. Azad University has over 100 branches across the country and also in other countries. It has branches and universities in U.A.E, United Kingdom, Tanzania, Lebanon and Armenia and has plans to establish more branch campuses in Malaysia, Canada, Afghanistan and Tajikistan in the near future. Over the years, the university has accumulated assets estimated to be worth between $20–25 billion. Islamic Azad University's activities quickly expanded throughout the country, so that today thousands of students are enrolling every year. Not relying on government funding, it receives charitable donations and charges tuition fees.
The certificates issued by this university are recognized by the Ministry of Science and Higher Education. Azad University admits students through the National Wide Entrance Examination held by the National (Iranian) Organization of Educational Testing.
Iran's Supreme Leader has declared the financial endowment of Islamic Azad University to be "religiously illegitimate and unlawful", prompting a change within the administration of the institution.
At present, the IAU system officially describes itself as a "100+ campus". These campuses are under the direct control of the Regents and President. Only ten best and famous campuses are listed below. Some campuses are well-known, especially Central Tehran and Science and Research, Tehran.
|Science and Research, Tehran||1984||~ 50,000||Comprehensive|
|Central Tehran||1982||~ 40,000||Comprehensive|
|South Tehran||1985||~ 35,000||Comprehensive|
|North Tehran||1985||~ 20,000||Comprehensive|
|Medical Tehran||1985||~ 5,000||Medical Sciences|
|Najafabad||1985||~ 25,000 ||Comprehensive|
In early 2011, Islamic World Science Citation Database declared the very first official ranking of Higher education and research institutes of Iran, including a ranking of Islamic Azad University Campuses:
|1||Islamic Azad University of Tabriz||4.27|
|2||Islamic Azad University of Mashhad||3.51|
|3||Islamic Azad University Central Tehran Branch||3.06|
|4||Islamic Azad University of Karaj||2.61|
|5||Islamic Azad University North Tehran Branch||2.48|
|6||Islamic Azad University of Najafabad||1.37|
|7||Islamic Azad University Science and Research Branch, Isfahan||1.35|
|8||Islamic Azad University of Ghouchan||1.26|
|9||Islamic Azad University of Shabestar||1.19|
|10||Islamic Azad University of Ardabil||0.95|
|1||Islamic Azad University, Science and Research Branch, Tehran||100|
|2||Islamic Azad University of Mashhad||23.75|
|3||Islamic Azad University of Karaj||18.53|
|4||Islamic Azad University South Tehran Branch||18.21|
|5||Islamic Azad University Khorasgan Branch Isfahan||13.5|
|6||Islamic Azad University North Tehran Branch||NA|
|7||Islamic Azad University of Najafabad||NA|
|8||Islamic Azad University of Qazvin||NA|
|9||Islamic Azad University Central Tehran Branch||NA|
|10||Islamic Azad University of Yazd||NA|
2013: International rank: 87, National rank: 1, Regional Rank: 1
2012: International rank: 231, National rank: 1, Regional Rank: 2
URAP – University Ranking by Academic Performance
2013: World rank: 161, Country rank: 1, Regional Rank: 25
2012: World rank: 226, Country rank: 2, Regional Rank: 34
- Ahmad Ashraf, "EDUCATION vii. GENERAL SURVEY OF MODERN EDUCATION," Encyclopaedia Iranica, Online Edition, December 15, 1997, available at http://www.iranicaonline.org/articles/education-vii-general-survey-of-modern-education.
- "Islamic Azad University Logotype usage guidelines" (PDF). Islamic Azad University. Retrieved January 26, 2012.
- Commentary: Back to the Future in Iran's Election | The National Interest
- Encyclopaedia Britannica World Almanac, ed. 2004, page 666
- Gholamreza Rahimi, Ghader Vazifeh Damirch, "Islamic Azad University Roles in Scientific Developement of Iran", Interdisciplinary Journal of Research in Business, Vol. 1, Issue. 9, (pp. 84–91), September–October 2011, available at http://www.idjrb.com/articlepdf/idjrb9n1p9.pdf
- Khamenei Enters Battle Over Islamic Azad University and Paves Way for Ahmadinejad Takeover | The Middle East Channel
- http://iaun.ac.ir/index.php/progressive model school-count
- نخستین رتبهبندی رسمی دانشگاهها و مراکز تحقیقاتی کشور اعلام شد
- وب سایت رتبه بندی دانشگاه های جهان اسلام
- (Persian) Main website
- Education System in Islamic Azad University
- Azad University IR in Oxford
- Annual Review - Statistics by the Central Bank of Iran, including Azad University.