Islamic University in Uganda
|Islamic University in Uganda (IUIU)|
|Motto||O Lord, Advance Me In Knowledge|
|Chancellor||Prof. Dr. Abdallah Omar Nasseef|
|Vice-Chancellor||Dr. Ahmad Kaweesa Ssengendo|
The Islamic University in Uganda (IUIU), is a multi-campus university offering courses at undergraduate and postgraduate levels. The main campus of the university is located in Mbale, Uganda, about 222 kilometres (138 mi) northeast of Kampala, Uganda's capital and largest city.
The idea to start IUIU was conceived at the second summit of the Organisation of the Islamic Conference (OIC) in 1974. The university was inaugurated in February 1988 with 80 students. The main objective of the university is to serve the higher education needs of the English-speaking Muslim community in southern and eastern Africa.
As of December 2014, IUIU has four campuses:
- The Main Campus is approximately 2 kilometres (1.2 mi), north of the central business district of the city of Mbale, in eastern Uganda, on the Mbale-Soroti Road. The coordinates of the main campus are:1°06'02.0"N, 34°10'25.0"E (Latitude:1.100556; Longitude:34.173611).
- The Kampala Campus is on Kibuli Hill, approximately 3.5 kilometres (2.2 mi) southeast of the central business district in Kampala, the capital and largest city in Uganda.
- The Kabojja Campus is located in Kabojja, 8 kilometres (5.0 mi) west of Kampala's central business district. The Kabojja Campus is exclusively females-only.
- The Arua Campus is in the town of Arua, approximately 400 kilometres (250 mi) northwest of Kampala.
The university has the following faculties:
- Faculty of Law
- Faculty of Science
- Faculty of Education
- Faculty of Management Studies
- Faculty of Arts & Social Sciences
- Faculty of Islamic Studies & Arabic Language
- Faculty of Health Sciences
- Faculty of Technology & Engineering (Expected in 2015)
- Center for Postgraduate Studies
- List of universities in Uganda
- List of law schools in Uganda
- List of medical schools in Uganda
- List of business schools in Uganda
- Vision Reporter, . (9 June 2009). "Islamic University Sacks Registrar". New Vision (Kampala). Retrieved 25 December 2014.
- "Road Distance Between Kampala And Mbale With Interactive Map". Globefeed.com. Retrieved 25 December 2014.
- "History of Islamic University In Uganda". EastChance.Com. Retrieved 25 December 2014.
- Talemwa, Moses (1 August 2011). "IUIU Increases Student Intake". The Observer (Uganda). Retrieved 25 December 2014.
- Google, . "Location of The Main Campus of IUIU At Google Maps". Google Maps. Retrieved 25 December 2014.
- Nankinga, Mary (8 May 2011). "Isinina Is President At IUIU Kabojja". The Observer (Uganda). Retrieved 25 December 2014.
- Felix Warom Okello, and Clement Aluma (19 November 2013). "Universities Offer Hope To West Nile’s Poor". Daily Monitor (Kampala). Retrieved 25 December 2014.
- Nakkazi, Esther (24 August 2013). "Health Faculty to Open In Uganda's Islamic University". OnIslam.Net. Retrieved 25 December 2014.
- Kitatta Kaaya, Sadab (10 September 2014). "Uganda: Islamic Organisation OIC Increases Funding for Universities". The Observer (Uganda) via AllAfrica.com. Retrieved 25 December 2014.
- Islamic University In Uganda Requests For Nigerian Lecturers
- Islamic University in Uganda Homepage
- Universities of OIC Member Countries Database of SESRIC