Islamic University in Uganda
|Islamic University in Uganda (IUIU)|
|Motto||O Lord, Advance Me In Knowledge|
|Chancellor||Prof. Dr. Abdallah Omar Nasseef|
|Vice-Chancellor||Dr. Ahmad Kaweesa Sengendo|
The Islamic University in Uganda (IUIU) is a multi-campus university for advanced study at undergraduate and postgraduate levels. The main campus of the university is located in Mbale, Uganda, about 150 miles (240 km) northeast of Kampala, Uganda's capital and largest city.
The idea to start IUIU was conceived at the second summit of the Organisation of the Islamic Conference (OIC) in 1974. The university was inaugurated in February 1988 with 80 students. The main objective of the university is to serve the higher education needs of the English-speaking Muslim community in southern and eastern Africa.
As of April 2009, IUIU has four campuses:
- The Main Campus is approximately 2 kilometres (1.2 mi), north of the city of Mbale, in eastern Uganda, on the Mbale-Kimi Road. The coordinates of the main campus are 01 05 35N, 34 10 37E (Latitude: 1.0930; Longitude: 34.1770).
- The Kibuli Campus is on Kibuli Hill, approximately 5 kilometres (3.1 mi) southeast of the central business district in Kampala.
- The Kabojja Campus is located in Kabojja, 8 kilometres (5.0 mi) west of Kampala's central business district. The Kabojja Campus is exclusively females-only.
- The Arua Campus is in the town of Arua, approximately 400 kilometres (250 mi) northwest of Kampala.
The university has the following faculties:
- Faculty of Law
- Faculty of Science
- Faculty of Education
- Faculty of Management Studies
- Faculty of Arts & Social Sciences
- Faculty of Islamic Studies & Arabic
- Center for Postgraduate Studies
- Islamic University In Uganda Requests For Nigerian Lecturers
- Islamic University in Uganda Homepage
- Universities of OIC Member Countries Database of SESRIC
- IUIU Brochure at Newvision Newspaper